Part balancing standards the IKAO and you!

DYJ

• 3 weeks later...

I think there are bigger issues at hand than the details of pricing and balancing heat loads. There are plenty of mods out there and more every day with absurdities like wings weighing 70kg and simple mounting brackets weighing 200kg. Some sort of standardization is needed least this \'best guess\' business continue to create incompatible mods.

Even with the stock values I find that the parts sometimes can be a little OP when they are used for an unintended purpose. For my lander engines I just made them so hot that they can only work with small light stages. You try to stack them 5up on one of those bulkhead pieces to make a OP big booster, all you get is kaboom. ;P

Well, I think there may be a fundamental problem with trying to over-apply 'real world' standards to the 'pint sized' game world of KSP - the 1st 3 versions of NovaPunch were using numbers straight from the calculator on this thread - and they resulted in a remarkably overpowered set of tanks - where you were able to launch, orbit and depart kerbin using the 1st stage of a reasonably built rocket stack.

I absolutely support a standard, but some sort of scale to adjust to Kerbin physics will be required. Might be time to start from scratch.

Well, I think there may be a fundamental problem with trying to over-apply 'real world' standards to the 'pint sized' game world of KSP - the 1st 3 versions of NovaPunch were using numbers straight from the calculator on this thread - and they resulted in a remarkably overpowered set of tanks - where you were able to launch, orbit and depart kerbin using the 1st stage of a reasonably built rocket stack.

I absolutely support a standard, but some sort of scale to adjust to Kerbin physics will be required. Might be time to start from scratch.

>Take SE values

>Increase engine efficiency

>Profit!

:P

I tried to keep my parts in balance with the main game, but it just seems that harvester is constantly changing fundamental parts of the mechanics and physics in the game. I\'ll sign on to a standard once things have stabilized a bit. Some of my parts are 'cheat' but that\'s only when there is no way to properly simulate a system or make a feature work otherwise.

I tried to keep my parts in balance with the main game, but it just seems that harvester is constantly changing fundamental parts of the mechanics and physics in the game. I\'ll sign on to a standard once things have stabilized a bit. Some of my parts are 'cheat' but that\'s only when there is no way to properly simulate a system or make a feature work otherwise.

I don\'t blame you there. If only we could make jet fuel tanks not power rockets :P

Sorry C7, didn\'t mean to pick on you with my reply above, it\'s rather obvious some things have to be done in a wonky way as a workaround to game limitations/current implementations. In fact, I\'ve decided to just take a break from modding all together until things stabilize a bit. Hopefully at that point we can as a community come to some sort of consensus whether it be based around NovaSilisko\'s SE mod, a refined IKAO/vanilla based specification, or something else entirely.

Even playing right now is a bit dissatisfying as putting a decent sized payload up runs into all sorts of problems. By decent I mean somewhere around 12 to 15 Kerbal tons in Munar orbit.

• 1 month later...

I would not be surprised to see the \'cost\' property removed from the part.cfg file when development has progressed sufficiently. The game itself will calculate that when it loads the part. That way you\'ll be able to run all the \'cheat\' parts you like... if you can afford them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.