I can't believe i did it! - landed on the mun!

RockyTV

So. I tried to land on the Mun today. I got "captured" by it very easily and tried landing: no success.

Until now. I've launched the same rocket 3 times, in the third one I could adjust my orbit to the Mun. It took a while to go to the Mun, but I did it.

As soon as I got into a stable Mun orbit, I quicksaved. When I approached the dark-side of the Mun, I hit F5 accidentaly. Then I was thinking "f*ck me I'll have to re-do this flight!". But, I got into a 50km Apoapsis in my Orbit, and activated the cheat menu (I needed it). I've put unlimited fuel and started burning.

When I fixed my orbit, I've disabled it and then landed!

HERES A PIC:

bE5Iq4H.jpg

Yeah, don't use the unlimited fuel, RCS or the indestructible parts cheats for anything, ever. Unless you are having fun that is, and defiantly not for doing anything for the first time. Always do it without, it is much more rewarding that way. Landing On the Mun is easy without the unlimited fuel cheat it is just a matter of building a good rocket. Unlimited fuel just ruins the fun of the game, for me anyway.

Anyway, lecture over, well done on getting to the moon and I hope you have fun in the game.

Edited by Pursuedtank

I'm not sure if landing on the Mun with cheats is actually worth posting a whole new thread.

Ah leave him alone, everyone is allowed to be proud of their first mission, even if it did use a debug command. He still had to pilot it himself, using the infinite fuel command doesn't take away the fact that they still landed on the Mun without using autopilots such as MechJeb.

Edited by thes50

Jeez guys. If it is his first Mun landing ever, who cares if he used the debug menu? Maybe he should use it a bit to get used to the dynamics of Mun landings and then try without.

I mean, I've never used the debug menu, but I certainly don't judge those who do.

Congrats to the OP. As long as he enjoyed it he is playing the game correctly(that is the purpose of a game). Personally I have never used cheats or mechjeb and I feel that there is more sense of accomplishment in doing so. I started the game learning to fly suborbital, then orbital, then to the mun, then landing on the mun, then interplanetary, and finally rendezvous and docking. Now I focus on improving the efficiency and safety of all the aforementioned areas.

congradulations, heres a pic of my first mun mission of .20

iLTwvVG.png

un fourtunatly the lander only takes 1 kerbal and there is only enough fuel for one accent, 2 of them are gonna stay behind till i finnally get a rescue mission, or maybe I should say the rescue mission rescue misssion since I already tried rescuing them. I do live streams most days if you wanna learn how not to do things.

also mimnus is alot easier. you actually need less fuel to land on mimnus.

Grats! One small step for Kerbal, one giant step for Kerbalkind! When I did my first moon landing, I didn't know there was a quicksave, I blew up like 3 rockets and had to do them all over:(

Updates, guys! I've managed to land the same rocket on Minmus!

NOTE: I think Matsey Kerman is the best of all Kerman-kind because his Courage is like 1 cm away from completing the bar and has a very low stupidity.

3u1eOkV.png

Hmm quicksaving is not a bad idea at all, esp if you still have <10 landings... It only gets better with practise but screwups happen.

Nasa never lost a mission because some stupid app stole focus or their AV software interrupted. Or a phonce call. Or nature call...

Anyway cograts on landing. While you're in orbit do a few practise landings using F5/F9. Try the difference between going down from 50km and going down from a 10km orbit. Eventually it becomes routine. But the fuel cheat is a bit of a cheat on you really, as you will never learn to judge how much fuel you need for a landing/return.

Good luck.

I've landed on the Mun, second time. Without quicksaving or using cheats.

Well done :D

I remember when I landed my first time on the Mun. I landed with the rocket on its side. It was great. Then when I tried to fix it, it blew up. Heheheh.

Congrats to the OP on your first landing! I had my first one yesterday... well sorta. The crew compartment survived not much else. You know what they say. Any landing you walk away from. lol

This is the mindset of how to NOT see quicksave as cheat. It's basically a shortcut, just like action keys 1...9. You could toggle an intake "by hand" (by mouse click), or you can use action keys...it's like a macro. So quicksave is basically a shortcut, in the sense that, okay okay, if you're "purist" you can redo the entire thing so accurately that you will be left at "point X" in space, BEFORE your tragic mistake...

...but then you also have to have a haircut, do the laundry, eat dinner, walk the dog...in other words, real life. So if it took your FOUR HOURS in REAL WORLD TIME, just to get to that super-accurate point in space to do your burn, and you shake your head knowing another FOUR HOURS will be eaten by KSP just to get back to that point in space....like...ugh.

So quicksaving (and of course, quickloading) is like saying in your head "Oooook, I redid everything exactly how I should have done it, and now I'm back at the moment before my big mistake."

So there we go, more positive cheers for quicksave :)

Edited by rodion_herrera

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.