Pick-a-Pod Concept

Moach

say, i thought of a very, very simple concept to solve the whole command pod restriction deal....

since there\'s no 'selection screen' feature on the upcoming list yet, i thought we could try something...

whadda you say, if i would model us a 'dummy' pod? - say like a low-poly ball, something that looks kinda like this:

250px-Training-remote_negwt.jpg

and the idea is - you start off with that inane ball of irrelevant hardware - then, it being somewhat small, you can attach the pod AROUND it, so the pod mesh itself ends up being a strut (or maybe an SAS module)

it\'d require a revision of the collision meshes for pods to be made compatible with this - or, the pod-ball could have a seriously offset collider itself, so it won\'t intersect and cause stuff to pop off....

it would allow creating unmanned vehicles, and/or changing pod models at a whim.... but it\'d need a minor degree of cooperation from other modders to create struct-class pods that could be used with this thing.....

this isn\'t really anything hard to do - but given the planned feature overlap, would you think it\'s worth it?

or do you prefer waiting for HarvesteR to put in the whole pod selection deal?

i think i\'ll just go and do it....

i had thought of modelling a 'pod' that wlooked like the crew members, sitting on a barebones cockpit looking at a control panel or something.... but then, this wouldn\'t even be visible, except for the VAB, and would not fit unmanned stuff too well

so i think the ball-pod sums it up better than anything.... you can\'t really see it once it\'s covered by the pod, so why bother with the added poly count, right? ::)

so i think the ball-pod sums it up better than anything.... you can\'t really see it once it\'s covered by the pod, so why bother with the added poly count, right? ::)

In terms of poly count a triangle based pyramid would be best

yes, that was my next idea....

i just might use one of those - being that this is a purely conceptual thing, and it\'s really not even meant to be visible during flight (or after a real pod is inserted)

It would bring a tear to my eye if you could make the ball pod bounce when it hits the ground- make the rebound reflect the impact speed- i wanna see if i can bound it back into orbit :)

999 crash resistance might be a start, don\'t know if it would be an elastic or inelastic collision though, might not bounce still

It would bring a tear to my eye if you could make the ball pod bounce when it hits the ground- make the rebound reflect the impact speed- i wanna see if i can bound it back into orbit :)

Mars Style landing air bags? Someone definitely needs to make that ;D

Mars Style landing air bags? Someone definitely needs to make that ;D

They do, I need these for my Mun landing mission to save on delta-v, assuming we can make the pod always stop rolling the right way up, although we coudl just use lots of RCS thrusters to right it :D

They do, I need these for my Mun landing mission to save on delta-v, assuming we can make the pod always stop rolling the right way up, although we coudl just use lots of RCS thrusters to right it :D

All you need to do is balance the weight off-center toward the bottom, and no more problems.

• 2 months later...

Why is this coming up again? I mean this was suggested, developed, and released 2 updates ago!

The current system, while much improved over not being able to choose among various command modules at all, requires that you commit to your choice before you\'ve started building your rocket.

What if you have a fine, functional, possibly very complex, rocket already assembled and tested and you want to swap out the command module for a mission specific purpose? Under the current arrangement, you would have to rebuild the entire rocket from the beginning from the bottom of the alternate pod.

in short: From a usability standpoint, it needs to be easier to swap out the upper stages of saved rocket files, including the command module.

in short: From a usability standpoint, it needs to be easier to swap out the upper stages of saved rocket files, including the command module.

Amen to that. I had a nasty experience recently that left me with multiple fuel tanks disconnected because I had moved the lower half of my rocket aside.

• 8 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.