You Will Not Go To Space Today - Post your fails here!

Mastodon

I killed Jeb testing a booster for a contract, forgot that clicking "Run Test" activates it... it was one of 4 radial boosters, so the craft spun out of control and exploded. This is the most embarrassing way I've killed Jeb, except for that time where I killed him with a parachute..... don't ask.

One night, I was lazy. I decided to launch a lander to the Mun, with a rover docked on top (first rover mission I've ever tried non-skycrane. All my skycrane missions died miserably). The landing went okay, except one of the landing legs broke on the cliff face, leaving the lander and rover at a dangerous angle. I didn't want to risk trying to send Jeb back to Kerbin and risk running out of fuel or crashing. Docking with a moving target is a heck of a lot harder than meeting one on the surface of a planet, so he relaxed next to the rover that couldn't drive straight because I neglected to test it before I launched it. Operation Jebediah I gets into orbit just fine, but then I realized I forgot the communication antenna. I tried to launch a probe named EMCR (Emergency Munar Communication Relay). Something went wrong the rocket, sending it spinning out of control and exploding about 20,000 meters above the space center. Hence, Operation Jebediah II was born. I borrowed the blueprints for Jebediah I from the engineering department, then slapped two antennae onto it. She made it into orbit just fine and transferred to the Mun. However, I didn't realize that Jeb's lander was stranded on the back of the Mun, so I lost communication with Jebediah II. Jebediah II smashed into the floor of the small crater, then the upper fuel tank from the wreck broke off and flew a little ways and hit Jebediah's lander, making fireworks. Mover I's landing site still remains there to this day, with debris strewn all over, and a defective rover parked next to Jeb's flag. One day, maybe, a Kerbal will walk in his footsteps, fix his little rover, and mark his grave.

Sillies mistake ever (and one I guess there is a mod for to fix) - I have a craft which does not have a cabin as the root part, or a probe core. Forgot to put a kerbal in it. It was fine, until it crashed after reentry.

PSA:  When messing with robotics, don't de-couple when things are clipping.

The cabin originally fit when I captured it.  After adding the de-orbit hardware, not so much.  And I hit the wrong Action Group, accidentally releasing it while still in the cargo bay.

Do note, during the rapid unplanned disassembly, two kerbals were ejected from their Command Chairs.

Edited by Soda Popinski

well i was trying to re-start the engine after a long mission in duna and return home ... and ..hit the space bar instead of click the damn engine and start it ...

well .. it was frustraing ( and it turn it in the most frustrating rescue mission but that is another (and long ) history )

On 4/27/2017 at 7:48 AM, pwhk said:

Forgot to attach reaction wheels to my unmanned mission and hence unable to land on the Mun properly

Did that a little while back... except the mission was to Ike :/

Fortunately realized it just a couple days later and they were base modules with docking ports so I quickly launched a bunch of wheels in chase.

I went to Duna, had a manned rover, got out of the rover to place a flag, but forgot to turn the rover's brakes on resulting in the rover rolling down the hill. I couldn't catch up with it, and eventually decided to reload a quicksave i made while in orbit of Duna. 

Edit: image is recreation of the scene

P9gWMHr.jpg

Edited by Vall9X4562

So last night I'm streaming. Everything going well, current contract is to do an orbital rendezvous.  Jeb took off and orbited at 100km.  Now it was Carl's turn.

Identical rocket

3, 2, 1, launch.

Oops.  Hit space bar two times due to lag. Boosters take off, main rocket settles back to the pad

Edited by linuxgurugamer

1 hour ago, Vall9X4562 said:

I went to Duna, had a manned rover, got out of the rover to place a flag, but forgot to turn the rover's brakes on resulting in the rover rolling down the hill. I couldn't catch up with it, and eventually decided to reload a quicksave i made while in orbit of Duna. 

And this is, ladies and gentle kerbals, is why I put drone cores on EVERYTHING!

-Jn-

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

So last night I'm streaming. Everything going well, current contract is to do an orbital rendezvous.  Jeb took off and orbited at 100km.  Now it was Carl's turn.

Identical rocket

3, 2, 1, launch.

Oops.  Hit space bar two times due to lag. Boosters take off, main rocket settles back to the pad

That was funny!

To complete a testing contract on the KS-25 Vector, I needed to refuel at Curie Orbital Akademy and Gas Station.  Just docked my new SSTO, The Diamond Class SSTO, The Rover.  Then this started to happen.

Either it was a Kraken attack, or I prefer to imagine, one of the recently arrived kerbal re-united with an astronaut with benefits.

That moment when you finish your de-orbit burn and realize that you have two rescued kerbals and no parachutes on board.  Luckily I had some spare fuel that I for some reason didn't burn on the de-orbit and I was able to limp into an elliptical orbit with RCS.  I now have a rendezvous plotted with my station, but I'm not sure if I have the delta V in my RCS tanks.

two fails.

trying to establish a minmus base with KIS and KAS. delivered crates, built rovers, everything was almost set up. it was a fateful day that bob placed the antenna on the base.

he grabbed the tiny communotron from his inventory, and secured it to the lab. that was when things went awry.

bob kerman was smashed into the ground and killed, because he was clipping slightly into the antenna. my camera zoomed away from the devastation, zooming in on a small survey probe. i looked in the map view, and found my base.

in many pieces.

leaving the sun's SOI.

at three times the speed of light.

if only i could make this into a propultion system.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Whackjob said:

I'll have to go to old archival screenshots.

Cq7t5t2.png

Like the Mullet said, pretty sure something there went to space. Heck, something there was probably transmogrified across the gulf between worlds and is now waiting on someone's desk to give them a nasty surprise and elicit a most undignified scream. :0.0:

8 hours ago, egoego said:

Good Heavens, are you sure you used enough Girders?

Shhhhh, you'll give him ideas!

. . . 

on second thought... :ph34r:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.