You Will Not Go To Space Today - Post your fails here!

Mastodon

So, I started up a Duna mission, the Hyperion I. She was a damn fine craft, named 'Most beautiful Ship in the Kerbal Fleet' by several high-class engineers. Here she is in Kerbin Orbit preparing to depart.
She possesses an Ike Lander, Anubis (Tucked away in the middle), her primary lander; Hyperion, an orbital segment, and a return capsule.
Here she is in Kerbin Orbit
screenshot17.png
The plan was to leave the Anubis and the Hyperion Lander in Duna to save Delta-V. She was assembled in Orbit. which lead to some issues in the Delta V calculation done in the VAB.
Here she is departing Kerbin
screenshot18.png

Sadly, she had not enough Delta V to capture herself, and the fuel in her landers was spent in a last ditch effort to avoid interplanetary space, this (Somehow) works. This leaves a crew of 5 Kerbals in Orbit of Duna. The crew considered ditching the Hyperion Lander, but simulations showed it would fall towards the craft, crippling the remainder of it.
screenshot26.png
Now, this is when the engineers realized something horrible. To rescue the crew of high-profile Kerbal Astronauts, they would need a docking port. Hyperion had no spare docking ports. Several lead engineers wanted to do a quick switch between the lander and the refueler, but this was deemed too dangerous due to the incompetence of the agency at docking multiple times in a short period of time. a 'Klaw' was tested prior to the mission, capturing the asteroid Pandora. but this had not been tested on rocket parts. Eventually, the Hyperion I was deemed the biggest failure in the space program, and its crew would be rescued by the Hyperion II follow-up mission, which abandoned landing as a whole and left the Hyperion I a wreck in Duna orbit. Not even usable as a comms array due to the heavy budget cuts in its construction.

On 1.5.2017 at 9:23 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

So last night I'm streaming. Everything going well, current contract is to do an orbital rendezvous.  Jeb took off and orbited at 100km.  Now it was Carl's turn.

Identical rocket

3, 2, 1, launch.

Oops.  Hit space bar two times due to lag. Boosters take off, main rocket settles back to the pad

Beautiful....

And your reaction is priceless!

/lift chapeau :wink:

Funny Kabooms 

Urses 

On 5/22/2017 at 3:20 AM, egoego said:

Good Heavens, are you sure you used enough Girders?

Just imagine if ol' Whack'd had access to the even lighter and more questionable empty .75m liquid fuel tank when he was starting out.  'Best mass per unit length of any part, once you drain the fuel.

Oh bloody Kraken.

The Nomad Mk III Colony Ship -- having a significant increase and restructuring of mass over the Mk II -- takes a short orbital test flight.

3B1D118C861BA00185CE356D7C760B974E63FDC3

Mission Control seems to have forgotten to inform the crew it was an meant to be an unmanned test flight. Probably not a problem.

B7FB51809DC43B1BD793519038F02D347605E60B

Engineering reports that SOMEONE seems to have still not gotten around to adding chutes to anything other than the escape pods. Little late, now, but telemetry looks great!

Probably not a problem.

14CAA973032642307FC6D3F03E7EF5689BBF0246

Full engine shutdown -- stable orbit achieved! Put the crew in for commendations for successful launch of a 2000+ ton vessel!

Break out the champagne and let's warp this big beautiful lady into sunrise for some pic--Control! We're reading a shimmy! Slash! Slash! Slash! Break warp!

AAAAAAUOOOOOOGAAAH! AAAAAAAUOOOOOGAH!

KRAKEN STRIKE! I REPEAT! KRAKEN STRIKE!! BROKEN ARROW!

E01F16EF62366DD20630C74438D3C847293446D0

Good news! Escape pods are intact!

Bad news! They're getting away!

DA2D8386152262B46B2F2F21D33E4B38B53F93F5

Jeb, Bob, and Bill make it over okay...

58E6AD8B10EACB3000F510ACAD74F5C1BA11CE22

Val...

Val misses.

A6978469B94428AC1216F40A4022DBF8130CEFA6

The horror. The horror!!

Shake it off, Mission Control! We have other Kerbals to save. Her clone will be back in action before you know it.

Danline and Ening don't have any supplies in that Orca module...the debris segment that the other three EVA'd to has all the escape pods, supplies, and cryo tubes. Need to get a rescue mission up there ASAP.

Meanwhile, get Jeb, Bob, and Bill back on the ground. Deploy the escape pods:

C43FCAA06F9E539EB25F9998434330B42EAFA9DD

Hasty redesign of the same escape pods yields the Roswell Mk II Automated Rescue Pod. We get her into orbit...tomorrow, we save the remaining crew:

26E7E7DE0036F17E0C3E83463CFCBE3F602D8653

And will somebody update the playlist in the clone decanting bay?! The last Val, while sorely missed, had terrible taste in music...

-Jn-

Edited by JoeNapalm

my fail today:

while i was removing old escape ship i found too late that my base has alot of solar panels and i entangled myself into them and i had troubles geting out of my problem luckly i was able to save the ship and all solar panels

Roswell VI has a slight hiccup during the ascent profile on the mission to Minmus:

32678A77210941B2BEF19A28A7A8B06938F4A153

Amazingly, the ABORT action group saved the capsule -- Jeb and Bill survived, and on the next attempt successfuly planted a flag on Minmus and got to faff about a bit before noticing that, having landed on the dark side with no RTGs, the batteries were getting awfully low (thaaaank you indicator lights mod!) and had to come home.

-Jn-

Edited by JoeNapalm

42 minutes ago, Merlin43210 said:

Have you ever completed a Duna landing and return mission only to get back to Kerbin and realize you put a drogue chute and not a real parachute on your Mk2 lander can, yeah that.

The important question is...did you realize this before or after you broke orbit?

-Jn-

On 6/6/2017 at 1:22 AM, CatastrophicFailure said:

shielded nuclear reactors

Oh, she'll be fine! I'd be slightly more concerned if it was unshielded...

11 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Give them a couple hour and have them stand in front of a fire, you might be surprised how far they get. :0.0:

"Control, this is Flight...we have an, uh, anomaly on the scope we think you should take a look at?"

"What is it, Flight? Is...is that a hot dog vending kiosk in Keostationary orbit over KSC?"

"Sir, we believe it is..."

-Jn-

yesterday i was testing Bluedog Design Bureau mod and build Saturn V rocket and all went well until i was landing on moon with lander and i found too late that landers trust to weight ratio is not as good as im used too so i could not break fast enough so i slamed hard thus killing all crew in it, but one did surivive in command module thus i returned him home.

16 hours ago, lovec1990 said:

yesterday i was testing Bluedog Design Bureau mod and build Saturn V rocket and all went well until i was landing on moon with lander and i found too late that landers trust to weight ratio is not as good as im used too so i could not break fast enough so i slamed hard thus killing all crew in it, but one did surivive in command module thus i returned him home.

Did Jeb died?

I tried to land a base hub from planetary base systems at minimus, but since I have life support It's not manned yet, so it lost connection because I forgot to put antennas on it... :P I almost landed it, but It lost 2 docking ports for connecting other parts of the base rendering it unusable... :(

Edited by Vinhero100

• 2 weeks later...

so i'm trying to make a gliding bike. i don't know why, but i am. anyway, I've been having endless trouble with it, such as the bike not having enough lift after the sepratron ran out of fuel, and plummeting like a rock, to putting on too many reaction wheels on and one roll command sending it flying. still, the idea of having a bicycle that glides with rocket power is too good for Jeb to leave all the glory to GTA V.

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.