You Will Not Go To Space Today - Post your fails here!

Mastodon

I don't have a picture at this time. But I created my first moon lander and successfully landed it. Got out, planted a flag, then used the jet pack to get back up to the ladder.....Only to knock the ladder, the RCS tank, and the command pod clean off the lander. No returning to space for me.

Here you can see many steps in development process of manned Eve mission. It took several tries to get huge booster stable enough to survive its first kilometer. Texts are in finnish, but I think that video tells more than words.

I built a rover with a landing crane that was capable of picking the rover back up and returning it to orbit. When I brought this up to dock with my station before being towed to the Mun, I realised I had forgotten to put RCS fuel and thrusters on it. Rather than simply ending the flight I decided I'd send it into a high, elliptical orbit before de-orbiting so I could get some extreme atmospheric effects on the way back. I hit the ground around 3000 m/s if I remember correctly. The rover survived. Solar panels intact. I drove it around using it to "End-Flight" on all the other debris that survived.

Later, I sent this same craft back up to space (thinking I had already fixed the RCS problem) and got it all the way to the Mun station before realising my stupidity. I attempted to deorbit but as I was burning toward the planet during the plunge, I managed to accidentally give it enough surface velocity that I missed the Mun by no more than 200 meters and soared off at an elliptical orbit inside that of Moho.

Assuming my assumption is correct, the title of the thread is a reference from a webcomic that made some fun of the Apollo launcher. As I recall, the comic in question stated something along the lines of "if this flame thing is pointing at the sky, you will not go to space to day."

So naturally, I decided to prove them wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7r8UUeHhL8

I am uncertain how much this really belongs in this thread.

No more testing today - But any day one can walk away from a HARD LANDING is a good day :-)

Now where is the landing computer installed? - None installed yet? - Oh!

Je7I3jK.png

BJ Quest

Edited by BJ Quest

"Another thing that is a bad problem is if you're flying toward space and the parts start to fall off your space car in the wrong order. If that happens, it means you won't go to space today, or maybe ever."

19B83111CDE1ECB5F7ED831C0092B034E0315711

My first attempt at asparagus staging...

well, if you must know, when I took off from the moon, ready to head back to kerbin, some huge moutain decided to INJURY THE KERBALS, BY STANDING ON MY WAY, WHEN I WENT FULL THROTTEL, HORIZONTAL TO GET INTO AN ORBIT...but no, the kerbals are apperently immortal, stood out from the pod, they were not leaping,looked like they didn't even stub their toe...

ECFDB218B4E3373DF477FE71EC3376BB700D5EBC

434 kilometers per second, just shy of 1million MPH on my way out of the solar system towards parts unknown. The probe survived the explosion of a gigantic rocket about 30k meters above Kerbin and was catapulted right out of the solar system.

While laughing my ass off at this and speeding up time to see just how far it was going to go my entire huge masterpiece space station crashed to the ground without me noticing. I went back to the space center and it was nowhere to be found. What I get for warping at 10,000 and 100,000 I guess. There went about a dozen launches, hours of game play, and 10 or so Kerbonauts. Still worth it.

I was testing my third attempt at a grand tour vessel (completely different design over my last AAR{and still classified}) and was ironing out the phantom forces on this ship, but without hyper edit, the launcher I was using occasionally failed and destroyed itself, or the nuclear reactor on the vessel would go critical completely obliterating the vessel at random points at the launch. The launcher tends to have a 50% success rate, and that's why it will be unmanned upon the launch.

I send my first Kerbal, a lot of success until I accidentally hit the space bar and boom, the CM decouples off the MEM, causing Bill Kerman to crash into the Munar surface, at 1709 meters (?) and at around 2000 m/s. It was a failed successful failure to me. :huh:

Today was frustrating.

Finally assembled my new computer after two days building it, because I made myself a promise that I would only do a step of the assembly in between parts of the work I'm doing. As I finished the job, I finally got to install the system, and got to reinstall it because I put it on the wrong partition. Alright, I'll take it, because after it I can finally play KSP.

Well, I decided to remove a part from my station, so I sent my de-orbiting rocket, but first I made some adjustments to make the RCS more efficient.

I didn't question why I was unable to target the docking port until it bounced off the station - I had removed the docking port at KSC. Okay, I'll just de-orbit it and fix it.

Fixed the rocket again, launched... And once again it bounced off the station. "Hot damn, I must have forgotten to set the proper staging for it", I thought. Can you spot the error in that sentence?

Already very frustrated, I fixed the rocket once again and launched to the worst orbital intercept I ever made. Anyway, I then decided to check if the station could target the port as soon as it got into range. It still couldn't.

So I switched back to the de-orbiter and right clicked the docking port.

The button label reads: "Decouple"

So I decided to watch the deorbiter reentry until it hit the ground, just to see how are the graphical effects in the new computer. And quit.

:(

Launch went fine for the first few seconds, but then things started exploding for no reason.

353O4.png

353P5.png

If only I had taken a picture in between these two. There was a really cool double-spiral going on, but half of it disappeared at the exact moment I took the second screenshot.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.