The Elliptical Challenge!

THE ELLIPTICAL CHALLENGE

Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to make the most elliptical orbit possible.

The Rules

1. The ONLY parts you may use are the parts that come with the most recent version of the Kerbal Space Program.

2. Get as high an apoapsis and as low as a periapsis as you DARE.

3. Your orbit MUST be stable.

4. Don\'t lie about your apoapsis and periapsis. If you do, you will be SHUNNED from this topic.

5. PLEASE do not make a link using adf.ly if you want to share your craft your anything else about your submission. This link is just evidence that adf.ly really isn\'t a good service.

6. If you are making a numbered list in this topic, you MUST make at least one word on every line bold, underlined, and red.

Submitting

To submit, you must post the following:

1. A SCREENSHOT of your orbit must be taken. Please make it an overhead view, so that the orbit is not exagerrated.

2. YOUR apoapsis and periapsis.

3. OPTIONAL: An image of your craft at its apoapsis (Just to look cool).

4. OPTIONAL: A link to a file hosting site where your craft may be downloaded.

Leaderboards

1. nate101 (Ap: 3,316,902m Pe:75,775m)

Don\'t expect the leaderboards to be updated as soon as you post I am a human being with a life, therefore I am not always available to update this. If your post gets swamped, please send me a message.

My Post

(As OP, I deserve something declaring my response to my own challenge)

elliptical.png

apoapsis.png

Apoapsis: 3,316,902 meters

Periapsis: 75,775 meters

(I did manage to land my craft after doing this orbit.)

Here\'s my current. This is totally random, not for the challenge or anything, just seen the challenge now and realised I\'ll be currently winning so entering. XD

Periapsis = 82,172m

Apoapsis = 7,850,867m

This is the craft that did it, though not on the same run, and this is it halfway into orbit!

Feel free to browse the rest of my Steam KSP photos, some are quite amusing.

It\'s not too difficult to achieve 70km - infinity with a good craft (or the challenge is 'how precisely'? RCS gives some super high precision)

My Satlayer2 MK3 made this with Commsat payload (that\'s only payload that adds weight and nothing more - all the others parts are vanilla) and more than 3 RCS fuel tanks left! 8) So it could circularise the orbit at apokee, release the payload and return to Kerbin

The best apokeee were more than 200 million kilometers (with 70 km perikee) - and on 1x so elliptic orbits start to decay due to numerical imprecision.

The sad fact is that so eccentric orbits are not well handled - the game hang halfway there when I tried to reach it :\'(

But here is what left of that flight:

1) periapsis

2) apoapsis

3) Satlayer\'s orbital freighter (at 70 km - infinity orbit plus-minus several m/s)

Peri: ~40k meters

Apo: ~229m meters.

I admit, I took the pics during my return phase, before that Peri was about 120k meters. If that\'s a cause for disqualification, I\'ll do it again and repost.

Ship\'s built from vanilla parts, actually it\'s my 'docking tester' with RCS third stage (still packaged, second stage got me there fine).

Figured I would give this one a whack

The orbit is so eccentric that a plain overhead view doesn\'t render it properly, so you\'ll have to settle for these

wdZlK.png

ySMd6.png

ud3fI.png

Apoapsis: 1,679,952,283m

Periapsis: 73,203m

Eccentricity: 0.9999

I just calculated the escape velocity at 73,203m and went just a tad slower :P

i\'ve created orbits that go out much further than the sun a few times ( while doing the shoot for the sun challenge) but it seems that the game / my computer cant handle orbits that big and always crashes within 2-3 minutes.

Even though this attempt does not qualify as it uses mods, I managed to get a Peraipsis of 295k and an Apoaphsis of approximatly 24M. Currently at 8M, so it might be wrong.

EDIT: Gave up at 20M. From 8M to 20M I lost 0.1 m/s in speed. No hope of getting back now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.