[0.20] Deadly Reentry 2.3 - reentry heat, plus thermal and g-force damage to parts

ialdabaoth

Deadly Reentry 2.3

So, I've been banging at this long enough, and need lots of eyes on this.

r4m0n has graciously relinquished support of the Deadly Reentry mod over to me. All DRE2.X versions are released under the Creative Commons Share-Alike license.

Changes in 2.3:

- adjusted sound effects

- Kerbals can now catch on fire and die when on EVA.

Changes in 2.2:

- Slight adjustment to heat and G-force damage:

-- Weaker parts given about a 10% g-tolerance boost.

-- Engine overheat damage is now more forgiving (requires >95% overheat)

-- parachutes will catch fire even if behind the rest of the rocket, if they're deployed or partially deployed.

- Damage can now be inspected and repaired on EVA

- fixed ModuleManager/B9 bug (ExsurgentEngineering dll no longer included)

- you can now set a maxTemp cap in the cfg file; any part with a temperature above this cap has its maxTemp halved, then capped at that value if it's still greater.

Changes in 2.1:

- Adjusted shockwave physics

- Parts can now catch fire and sustain heat and G-force damage.

- Engines are now damaged if they are run for extended times at an overheat (> 85% maxTemp)

- Fixed shielding bug on Shielded Clamp-O-Tron and small parachutes

- Updated and added 1.3 heat shield parts.

Changes in 2.0:

- KSP's Reentry contrails now render correctly - the contrail shifts from 'condensation' (white) to 'thermal' (red) based on velocity rather than elevation!

- directional ablative heat shields are supported! The mk1 pod and space planes all have heat shields on their undersides, which are consumed during reentry to mitigate heat. Pointing your ship in the wrong direction causes DeadlyReentry to ignore the shield!

- thermal physics are now more accurate! temperature is now capped based on velocity.

- all stock parts will have their maxTemp reduced by 50%, to reflect real-world melting points. Engines also have their heat production reduced to scale, so you shouldn't notice any change until the reentry heat effects start.

- all parts now show their temperature in the right-click menu.

So, what I need from anyone intrepid enough to try it:

download the mod, go places, come back, post a mission report. I want to know your reentry velocity at 70km, your velocity at 35km, and what kinds of thermal effects you experienced. If you exploded, let me know at what velocity and altitude (and what planet, if not Kerbin).

Good luck!

Edited by ialdabaoth

First note, there's a constant stream of [Exception]: FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'ModuleManager, Version 1.0489422141, Culture = neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of it's dependencies. in the debug log

while in the flight space.

It's great to see that this mod hasn't been forgotten and that it has a new owner!

I installed the mod both in the new manner within the GameData structure and the old way directly into the plugins folder, and neither of them seemed to work.

Created a simple "go really fast" unmanned rocket, got it up to ~2km/s around 9-10KM altitude. Got the red contrails, but no overheating, no big booms.

Am I doing something wrong with the installation?

Just as a side, not, when using the same craft with the old V1.3 installed in the new GameData folder tree, the stabilizer fins overheat and explode at around 350 m/s at no more then 1-2km altitude.

Probably my fault, but I can't seem to get the plugin working. Do I just stick the extracted deadly reentry folder into the GameData section, leaving the cfg file folderless inside of it?

Just put the whole DeadlyReentry folder into the gamedata folder.

I'm currently testing it in conjuction with a several other mods (FAR, ModularFuelTanks, Engineer, Kerbal LiveFeed, ISA MapSat) and it so far has managed to pass the acid test: I just reentered my spaceplane (Ap: 250km, Per: 35km) and got it warm enough to see flames and burn some shielding without exploding the entire rocket. This was impossible to do with FAR+Deadly Reentry 1.3 (I could reenter with that combination, but only using a craft with enough lift that I never even saw flames).

EDIT: LV-T45's running LOX+LH2 will overheat at full throttle. Intended?

Edited by Stochasty

will this version support external heatsheilds? nhnifong made a heatsheild and decoupler to stylematch the 3 man pod, how would I set that up to either replace or augment the built in shield?

I am still not having any luck in getting this update to work.

I have just copied the folder over into the GameData folder. Does anybody have any pointers on what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks for that!

By the looks of it it appears to have understood the mod because all the parts now have a temperature associated with them, however i'm not sure if they are actually overheating the way they are supposed to. As you can see from the image below, with that speed and that altitude, i thought there would be no way anything would survive. V1.3 would cause things to ignite long before then. Unless the new version is supposed to work like this?

RbCfb0B.jpg

First note, there's a constant stream of [Exception]: FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'ModuleManager, Version 1.0489422141, Culture = neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of it's dependencies. in the debug log

while in the flight space.

Oops! Forgot to include ModuleManager.dll - repackaged the zip with this included, sorry.