[Showcase] Post your Bases

Munbase Comms Tower (although now won't work in 0.20 so back to the drawing board)

2013-05-22_00010.jpg

Munar Polar Drilling Rig (Yet to land it)

2013-05-24_00042.jpg

Kerbal Monitoring Station (also have two of them on the Mun)

2013-05-24_00029.jpg

And my latest base design...

2013-05-26_00003.jpg

This base is only partially built. I still need to install a solar array, and more crew modules are to come, but I like it's look so far.

It's completely modular and the current base has 4 modules. Please excuse the wheels on the bottom, which will be detached once I finish it. :)

kzheYJO.jpg?1

Edited by Merinsan

So I did some further work on my modular base:

That's gonna take more than a few launches. And a more that decent computer. Looking good, though!

My Munbase is looking positively ancient now (it's from 0.18):

RQolsAQ.jpg

Rune. Another thing to re-visit, bases.

Nice base but...

how are you going to land that giant strut?

also where is that bases intended destination?

you mean mine? I still have to seriously put some work into this, but... I was thinking about orbital assembly, and landing it in a single piece :)

Welcome to Cocytus Base! Here, we bring you closer to space – our residents live in complete comfort in the H.O.M.E. living quarters, with only a millimeter of metal foil between you and endless cold, dark, suffocating vacuum! Feeling bored? Why not take a stroll? Don a stylish, comfortable EVA suit, and explore the virgin natural wonderland of the Münar surface. Highlights include regolith, hills, stars, micrometeorites, and more regolith! Or if you're of a more technical mind, how about a few hours operating the command module or the communications tower? It's got all the fun of complex science and engineering work, plus cramped quarters, isolation, and limited oxygen!

2zrqh55.jpg

It's half-finished, uses mods fairly extensively, and it's not an awesome modular design like the ones I've seen here (I should probably get on that), but it's something. Either way, it's been a lot of fun building! :D

Final engineering problem for my Minmum Base resolve. Behold: Crawler-transporter

screenshot132.jpg

screenshot134.jpg

screenshot139.jpg

The completed base:

screenshot142.jpg

screenshot144.jpg

screenshot147.jpg

Notice the base has two launch complexes, shown docked with a tanker rocket and a crew shuttle. To service the two complexes three crawler-transporters are used. It takes two crawlers to move a ship but only one to dock a craft to the base.

The base at night:

screenshot150.jpg

Now I just got to figure out a way to get all that to Minmus.

Now I just got to figure out a way to get all that to Minmus.

Wow. I really like this base design. Since you have docking ports on pretty much everything it shouldn't be hard to add a detachable lander system to each part. You could make the system reusable, or just blast off each skycrane after landing each segment.

Is there any reason why you can't simplify those long structural segments? Instead of 3 segment long sections, you could just replace some of them with 9 segment pieces. It can be a little tricky to fly and land such long contraptions, but it's not too hard. It will also save a ton of parts (docking ports and landing legs) and require many fewer launches and landings to get everything on Minmus.

The idea with the little pieces is so that the base is modular and can be rearranged should I even change my mind. I'm also a bit weary of having to pick up huge pieces with the rover since it will make driving really difficult.

To land them on Minmus I'll probably use landers with docking ports on the side. Dock the pieces to them in VAB and land them, then undock and drop them down one by one.

For the bigger pieces like the modules I'll probably attach jettison-able engines radially to them, land and then ditch the engines.

Here's my modular base components. All components contain their own propulsion and wheels to make landings and assembly simple and easy.

First the habitation module, holds 14 kerbals total:

GoHfZIH.jpg?2

The comms array, has a comms dish for long range communication and 4 antennas for short range:

wHmIOR8.jpg?2

The power module with 18 RTGs, would you want solar panels when night lasts days at a time?

TIXQMz3.jpg?2

Storage module, for storing... stuff:

3nRPLNz.jpg?2

Here's two fully assembled stations on the Mun and Minmus:

hYKKriF.jpg?2

7tewa7a.jpg?2

Still need to update them with the new 0.20 parts, specifically the 2.5 meter docking ports and the new large probes. More modules coming soon!

Edited by Cipher29

From the Bases I have seen already mine is pretty lame but i just started yesterday so who knows how it will end up.

yb97IIP.png

Final engineering problem for my Minmum Base resolve. Behold: Crawler-transporter

*uber snip*

By the way I would love to get this .craft file

Edited by Cykyrios
removed pics from quote

By the way I would love to get this .craft file

I was going to release it after I figure out all the landers and launch vehicles and all that kind of stuff to actually get it all to Minmus and assembled there. Would you rather wait for that or do you just want the raw pieces now?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.