How to submerge a part.

Hey,

I thought cupola module might be suitable to watch the ocean.... from the bottom of it. So i set the total mass of the cupola module to 10.000, and added a mainsail engine to give me a short ride to the ocean. Surprisingly i only needed like %10 of thrust to lift the pod. And more surprisingly the pod was still floating on the ocean when i land.

So what should i do to make a part submerge?

Hey,

I thought cupola module might be suitable to watch the ocean.... from the bottom of it. So i set the total mass of the cupola module to 10.000, and added a mainsail engine to give me a short ride to the ocean. Surprisingly i only needed like %10 of thrust to lift the pod. And more surprisingly the pod was still floating on the ocean when i land.

So what should i do to make a part submerge?

If you added the dot in the weight, it is interpreted as 10 not 10000. Set the weight at 100, that should be more than enough.

I haven't tried this, but one possible way to make a work around may be to create a custom part of the cupola.

Just call it cupola 2 in its folder and part file title. Then put it on the ocean where you want it to be at.

The next thing is go leave the game and edit the part file's mass to a high amount, say 100 tons and you should also increase it's crash tolerance too.

Then go back to the game and see if it sank successfully, if not try more weight.

The reason for making a second cupola is so you can still use the regular one on your spacecrafts.

I think there is also a buoyancy command line, but I can't remember it and I don't think it's enough by itself to sink a part.

Edited by Tommygun

If you added the dot in the weight, it is interpreted as 10 not 10000. Set the weight at 100, that should be more than enough.

No, i typed it without a dot, and even though i increased the crash tolerance by a ridicoulous amount ,pod explodes when i thrust it down to the ocean. I already commited these changes to a new cupola module called Cupola underwater :). Pod doesn't really float when i set the mass to 10000 but its like half submerged half floating, which is the same with 100 mass or 1000 mass. This is quite weird.

Well take a look at Gaby's Submarine Parts mod and see what he did to his part files.

I don't think it used a plugin, it's all parts.

Gaby's Submarine Parts:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/5805-Gaby-s-Submarine-P-O-C-%28Download-Fixed%29?highlight=submarine

Thanks, that really helped. Turns out when you change the mass of a pod it doesn't effect your mass in the flight. But if you change the mass value of a fuel tank that does count and calculated accordingly in the flight. 100 mass enough for you to submerge safely with 2 m/s into to the bottom of the ocean (craft does not explode when you hit the bottom, but make sure surface is flat). However you can only watch your craft from a 90 degree angle from the game camera (thats bothering) and everything looks like you are just floating in the sky there is nothing visual about diving into the bottom of the ocean.

TLDR: It is not that exotic as i was expecting plus camera is buggy after altitude 0.

• 2 weeks later...

Hack gravity make the craft submerge easily. The water will not pull the craft upwards but you need to use main-sale engine to provide 25m/s underwater. Also I used infinite fuel.

the orange tank sinks btw

No stock part submerges, it's not even close for most of them.

@OP i would also suggest using Hyperedit, it has a submarine mode which sets buoyancy of the whole craft to current weight so the ship stays at constant depth (small engine or RCS can make it go underwater)

• 3 years later...

Yeah, to make something go below the ocean surface (in stock), you will need to make your craft really dense.  Most parts have a density below that of water, so you'll happily bob about on the surface.  What you need is full ore tanks - these should help your craft sink just fine.  You also eject the ore to bob back to the surface too.

Because this thread is a bit old and the answer to the question is common knowledge by this point, I'm gonna go ahead and lock this up.