Show off your Kethane Mining Designs!!

I finished off the Kerbal Munsion base a few months back, which has a Kethane mining camp. Made a video series about it. :)

(Actual mining starts at ep3)

The miner isn't huge but works well enough. Time-warp helps when filling up the tanks.

Kethane-Miner.jpg

There's a conversion shop where the tanker truck comes to drop off the Kethane. Once it's converted into fuel and put in that tanker, the truck hauls it back to base. The game made a Macke Kerman, so I had to bring him there to drive the truck. :)

Kethane-ConversionFactory1.jpg

Kethane-ConversionFactory2.jpg

Here's a revisit to an old low grav design that I dug out. Instead of a complicated refuel op, this unit is essentially the drive section for my long range explorer. Jeb & Bill stay in orbit while this drops down for extraction. When done, the unit reconnects with the ship and continues on.

w5yEABX.png

1pgzx0Z.png

Here's one with Near Future Propulsion, and my only successful Kethane miner so far, the Leonardo.

Landed, testing the drills:

13986271767_ac70a5d095_o.png

Cruising:

13986269877_ac05d103e0_o.png

Meant as a multi-purpose science/exploration/kethane ship for small moons, the idea is it hovers on the ion engine clusters and uses RCS for forward/reverse thrust. (In practice the RCS is wimpy so I sometimes pitch forward instead.) It's got enough xenon, hidden in the kerbodyne adapters, to fly for several hours, and fully loaded excluding the Rockomax tank (which is just for structure) it has over 9000 m/s of delta-V and enough thrust to get off Minmus and smaller easily. It could do Ike or Dres if I wanted, though not with a full kethane tank.

Old I know, but loving this design. Really clever way of making something that can go to both atmo and vacuum places.

Loving the beetle and the mozzy that got posted earlier too.

Here's my space VTOL kethane extraction vessel :)

YF0lLKR.png

Mining gear is underneath mounted on a hinge from infernal robotics, here's a shot of the payload and converter units:

ZNtiDjU.png

Will post pics from Gilly soon when I'll supply my Duna station!

What I remember on top of my head:

Spaceplane plus, a new part mod based of B9 aerospace.

B9 (has the engines)

Infernal robotics (for landing gear and mining gear)

KAS (winch underneath)

Kethane

KW rocketry

Goodspeed aerospace

Those are the essentials pretty much.

This one's called the "Bear" cuz it weighs in at 50 tons empty.

Flight mode with engine nacelles vertical (slightly forward of course in this photo to aid in deceleration)

UV-2BBearMiningonMinmus003_zps9f2aa875.png

Mining mode with grappling hooks securing it to the uneven surface, solar panels and drills deployed

UV-2BBearMiningonMinmus002_zps7cc20abd.png

Orbit mode with engine nacelles horizontal

UV-2BBearMiningonMinmus005_zpsc78a5bdb.png

Hopping out for a break...

UV-2BBearNeedsOn-siteRepairs_zps3d529de3.png

EDIT: I'm a jerk for not adding credit for mods used:

Infernal Robotics for the rotation servos

Radial Nuclear Engines for...the radial-mounted nuclear engines

Kerbal Attachment System for the grappling hook assemblies

LackLusterLabs for the handrails on the observation platforms

Aviation Lights for the little blinking red strobe

And last but certainly not least, Kethane for the entire reason this craft exists...and on this craft, the drills, storage tank and convertor

Edited by Raptor9
Modder kudos

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my last one - heavy (120 t fully loaded) space tug and kethane miner in one thing for Jool-5 expedition.

Fully automatic, equipped with scanner, drills and converter. For electrical power for mining operations I am using kethane reactor - this device is lighter then big solar panel and can produce more energy.

ZWvL37Eh.png

rKp6ZcXh.png

• 1 month later...
As always, Cupcake, a fun video, and expert flying! I like the blooper reel at the end, though. Makes me feel slightly less inadequate! :D

Yeah.... I'm a bit out of practice when it flying big lumbering beasts like this one! :blush:

Cupcake...

• 2 months later...

This is my ugliest and most useful Kethane mining rig. Used to provide the initial fill for my Kethane powered Grand Tour.

Delivers 72,000 units of Ke to mun orbit. It can supply ~14k L + 17k Ox and still have enough to land again.

6H9GV7G.png

CiT7G3P.png

Interplanetary ship. Loaded up and ready to do some science!

fZfOJKx.png

Smaller miner for topping up while on the road.

6OCdiDS.png

How did I ever live without B9, KW, and tweak...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.