Show off your Kethane Mining Designs!!

Here's my latest all in one Keth Refueler ship..

they are getting bigger.. I made this one with a two goals.

1. Contain as much fuel storage as possible

2. use under 200 parts for the finished ship.

The Spherical fuel tanks make up the bulk of the fuel storage and are launched from kerbin empty.

2TRnwCR.jpg

T1gdv3Y.jpg

EJvwRxa.jpg

IvSdJnG.jpg

0E0Qxrj.jpg

Taking it to minimus now for a refuel, will supply how many tons it weighs fully fuelled.

Edited by Amphiprion

Here's my latest all in one Keth Refueler ship..

they are getting bigger.. I made this one with a two goals.

1. Contain as much fuel storage as possible

2. use under 200 parts for the finished ship.

2TRnwCR.jpg

T1gdv3Y.jpg

EJvwRxa.jpg

IvSdJnG.jpg

0E0Qxrj.jpg

Taking it to minimus now for a refuel, will supply how many tons it weighs fully fuelled.

Nice. How hard was it to get into orbit?

1,950,000L of Kethane Later and the craft is full.

It weighs in at 3604.08 tons.

I hope I can take off :)...

6yub0OE.jpg

TPjQZaD.jpg

All well and good, but I see no docking ports on it? No KAS winch? And no quantum fuel transfer nodes. How do you plan on using all this fuel?

So I thought I'd show you my Kethane Mining station design's.

The "tug" picks up the filled tankers which are completely mobile, and takes them up to the orbiting fuel station to fill up tanks. then returns rinse repeat.

each tanker is very mobile, has omni wheels on it, so it can winch itself up and down, also they can turn 360 on the spot, and move sideways.

The tug has a magic lift ram, so it can also adjust its height. each tanker docks with the tug via a docking port ontop of them.

15nsrol.jpg

29p5kxd.jpg

getting some air as I relocate the drill section on the surface.

fc3e2o.jpg

up at the station sorting some stuff out.

k2yf54.jpg

And finally a shot of the Kethane tug. you deorbit with the atomic engines, then when in atmosphere, rotate 180 degrees and use the keth turbines. opposite obv for ascent.

2zppmwg.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the pics.. let me know what you think :)

Please post some of your mining techniques. I can't wait for resources to come out..

Would you be willing to share the craft file?

Bigred: It wasn't too difficult, I had to resize the b-9 sabre multimode engines to fit to 3.75m parts, the ratio increase from the b-9 2m part to 3.5m was echo'd in the parameters of the engine in mass, fuel consumption, etc etc.

It was able to get to minimus from launch at kerbin.

HOY : If you look at the picture where the SABRE engines are being jettisson'd you will see a docking port. as for KAS winches and quantum fuel, I don't need that if I can dock to the ship.

Here's a Laythe Lander docked to the underside:

xE1a6J7.jpg

If I need to turn the ship into a fuel depot, I can build a multi port docking sleeve/column that can come out its behind.

XbasmanX I sure can share the craft file for my old rover technique, PM me your email addy and I will send you all the rover designs. for the Ramtug you need a few mods I can list for you..

but FYI: much easier to build a ship to refuel that goes up and down.

My Kethane factory on Duna. Supplies my Duna base with 7000 LFO. Crane was used to drag base units to factory as it landed 200m from the rest of the hab units. Used SOJUZ151 super heavy refule ship - 280 tons to orbit to get it to Duna.

Uses : H.O.M.E & DEMV2&4 from Bobcat, Kethane, DRobotics, KAS

80FC96EBC292A410ABC7097EEA469BA00D4AEE9B

EABC3A0435FB166AEFAF8E377425223F62134D83

Edited by Azazael

Thanks Amphiprion :kiss: Bobcats excellent mods make it so easy to colonise Duna. The DEMV MK2 can be configured for Tankers (RCS/LFO/Kethane) or towing vehicles or as cranes.

Everything was landed with Mechjeb and a stock lifter straight from Kerbin. Most stuff weighs around ~30tons except the refinery. Next stop Laythe.

Hi Nori, hows 3600tons fully loaded?

I give you the Kethstral.

1,950,000L+- of kethane to fill.

Uses 2x Large drills.

xoYC8Cb.jpg

I launch from kerbin with its tanks empty, then it moon hops with Fatman Atomic Engines @ 600kn/800isp per engine.

at launch:

2TRnwCR.jpg

12X large SABRE engines +12 Thor GLobe SRB's

then those stage off and it uses 6x fatman atomics to scoot from moon to moon.

LOW G moons essential

Edited by Amphiprion

My Kethane factory on Duna. Supplies my Duna base with 7000 LFO. Crane was used to drag base units to factory as it landed 200m from the rest of the hab units. Used SOJUZ151 super heavy refule ship - 280 tons to orbit to get it to Duna.

80FC96EBC292A410ABC7097EEA469BA00D4AEE9B

Can you post the link to th mod for some reason can't find it for some reason.

Chris: what I do is, If its on a moon, get into a 50,000M orbit, then when I come across the deposit I use map view and centre my craft with the moon, noting wherebouts the deposit is that im flying directly over. Then retrograde burn till you go straight down , or if you have overshot, retrograde till you go backwards a bit.

Edited by Amphiprion

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.