KissSh0t

SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

4254 posts in this topic

b98800c4741e49d1991b56f1e677bb9a.png

Gets two crew to orbit. If I didn't hate part clipping so much, I could probably put a mk1 can in the cargo bay somewhere and get three crew up there, but ultimately my goal was just to build a teeny tiny SSTO. This one uses RAPIERs to achieve a long suborbital trajectory, then fires the ion engines to achieve orbit. From there it has plenty of dV for rendezvousing or whatever you might want to do in orbit, and carries a little extra LF for zipping around in-atmo after you reenter. Surprisingly the 'test flight' of this had a use, as I needed to get two pilots down from my station.

It's called 'Sunny' because it's best to launch this thing at dawn or so to maximize initial ion burn time. Once you're in orbit things are a little more flexible. (I should add more batteries.)

Edited by Ithirahad

8 hours ago, Aerospacer said:

Junior-4

CkIaett.png
Light juno-based stock career SSTO-plane, made for sake of the pretty design.

Career tech level - Science90+  (need one science160 "Advanced Aerodynamics" technology).
Engines - 4J + 1Ter
Parts - 38
Launch mass - 8.646 t (SSTO mode) / 6.801 t (plane mode, LF only)
dV on LKO - 100-150 m/s (72x73 km orbit)

[snip...]

Wow, I really love that one!

A while ago most people in this thread seemed to converge on the Skylon "theme" for SSTOs and that felt a bit boring. But now I return to this thread and see so many great, creative and sometimes unconventional designs.

But to me @Aerospacer's minimalist, small (tiny!) and low tech SSTO spaceplanes are something special, even among the creations of the other great engineers here.

And the mk1 inline cockpit on the Junior-4 just perfectly completes that "little fighter plane" look! :)

Edited by Aerospike

SSTO - Single-stage-to-orbit.

9vwZpFk.jpgIt's a rocket...

zHOzXuz.jpg...that can go to space in one stage.

The total mass is 60,000 kg. The upper stage is 4,500 kg (7.5% of launch mass). costs 36,000 roots, and is very, very simple: just boost yourself into the space. Perfect for new players learning about how to get into the orbit.

Not cool-looking, just utility. The orbital booster is ditched instantly once the assembly reaches stable orbit, and is usually recovered by the local station. The tiny upper 'shuttle' stage has enough delta-v to go to Mun.

Probably still working well with FAR installed.

3 hours ago, Aerospike said:

A while ago most people in this thread seemed to converge on the Skylon "theme" for SSTOs and that felt a bit boring.

The main reason I have been designing Skylon style SSTOs is that the basic layout makes it easy to just plop any payload in the cargo bay and go.  The design architecture gives you a balanced craft that won't experience any significant change in center of mass , regardless of payload or fuel loading.

1 person likes this