Bussard Ramjet

SasquatchM

I was actually thinking of this, or using the ram jet to get going, and the Orion to break. Depending on how much delta v I get from Orion.

Yes, I adjusted the speed settings on this, set the upper speed bracket much faster, but also doubled the starting speeds.

As it's now you might end up in an setting where you are unable to brake as you commented. an bussard ramjet would have an upper speed but it would be very high, 0.8c or something.

Would actually like to separate out the intake on it like on jet engines.

• 6 months later...
set it up as an action group

I tried this, and I can't get it to work. The only options it gives me in the action group setup are "toggle", "activate", and "shutdown" engine. So once I launch the thing into space, i can't turn it on, and it doesn't move.

Is there something I am missing?

EDIT: I found where to turn on the generator (from the command module) but even though I set up an action group to toggle the generator it still doesn't do anything when I activate that command module...

What should I do?

Edited by chisox8
added info...

• 3 weeks later...
Download the updated version I just posted on Spaceport, you shouldn't have to do anything to it then.

Their is a problem with the FX engine, it is not generating any hydrogen. To fix it go into the part.cfg file. Make a backup copy (I used part.old).

Open part.cfg

The path to the part.cfg is something like:

C:\…..\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\SMA\Parts\Engine\SM-BRJ

This is the entry you need under the FX engine. It is near the bottom.

MODULE

{

name = ModuleAlternator

RESOURCE

{

name = CompressedHydrogen

rate = 90

}

}

Change it to this.

MODULE

{

name = ModuleGenerator

RESOURCE

isAlwaysActive = true

OUTPUT_RESOURCE

{

name = CompressedHydrogen

rate = 90

}

}

I wanted to add that the rate may be to high. I don’t know what the author had in mind. I just noticed that it was not generating any hydrogen. After looking over the file it seamed that 90 was what the author intended.

If you are using Ferram Aerospace Research v0.12.5.2. The only way to get those engines into space is with Procedural Fairings. Or remove F.A.R.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello

is the velocity curve based on orbital speed or on horizontal speed?

In deep space, with an orbital speed of 8500m/s, my Bussard Ram jet give 10% of max thrust, that is only 100KN......

Edited by gilflo

• 2 months later...

Im guessing velocity curves use surface speeds for their calculations. Therefore if you are orbiting the sun (the game is switching the reference to the body, in which gravitational influence you are currently) your surface speed is around 100000 m/s, thats why the Bussard has no power. If youre orbiting Kerbin or other planets your surface speed is never THAT high, then you have more power because you are closer to the velocity curves specifications.

If possible it would be better to limit the Bussards thrust through the resources it needs, something like what was done in the interstellar mod (the more power you provide to the engines the better their stats become). Just my opinion, no pun intended.

Edited by Haifi

• 1 year later...

Good day, I was just going to drop by and ask if there is a new download link to this mod. The old download link belonged to the old kerbal space port before it came to CURSE. I want to use it for this school project that involves KSP and (you guessed it) involves a lovely Bussard Ramjet. Thank you for your service. (On a side note, I was wondering if it were possible for some compatability with KSP Interstellar Extended)  Thanks again

• 11 months later...

Wow this is awesome! You should contact the Interstellar Extended modder to have him add this.

Also - ramscoops theoretically would create a considerable amount of drag, which is actually super useful for decelerating in interstellar missions. Is this modelled into the mod, or is there any chance that it could be added? Basically just figuring out the retrograde velocity vector, cross product with the magscoop, and then apply a force.

Does anybody still have a copy of this mod? Preferably with the source? I'd like to see it updated and incorporated into Interstellar Extended. Ramscoops are AMAZING for Deceleration on interstellar missions.

Edited by iontom

On 5/5/2016 at 5:17 PM, bmandudeman said:

Good day, I was just going to drop by and ask if there is a new download link to this mod. The old download link belonged to the old kerbal space port before it came to CURSE. I want to use it for this school project that involves KSP and (you guessed it) involves a lovely Bussard Ramjet. Thank you for your service. (On a side note, I was wondering if it were possible for some compatability with KSP Interstellar Extended)  Thanks again

Did you ever find a copy of it?

I have an old 0.20.2 version of this mod, as well as some of @SasquatchM's others. Not sure about licensing and redistribution, though; have to check that out before I do anything else.

Cool - I PM'd @SasquatchM - hopefully he checks in sometime soon.

What other mods did he build? Any other interstellar things?

Edited by iontom

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.