Test flight

jwenting

Not daring to try the new Jebjob 5h spacecraft on their first interplanetary mission untested, the KSC instead decided to send its first mission to orbit Minmus and bring the heroic Kerbonaut safely back to Kerbin, another goal yet to be achieved (Minmus had previously been rounded by a probe, but not orbited, let alone by a living crew).

Jebjob%205h.png

Chosen for the night launch was the brave Ludwell Kerman, here seen just before launch, performing final checks on his Mechjeb Mk.2 guidance electronics.

Jebjob%205h%20orbit%20boost.png

Flight into orbit was uneventful, if a bit rocky at times (note to self, moar struts).

Jebjob%205h%20Minmus%20transfer.png

Settling in for the long flight to Minmus, our Kerbonaut forgot to extend his solar panels, causing his electrical systems to fail. But luckily he had a handwarmer to keep him warm.

Jebjob%205h%20Minmus%20orbit.png

Arriving in Minmus orbit, 85km up, waiting for enough light to take some photos for the family.

Next flight, maybe Duna. Not sure I'll have enough fuel to return from there, will have to see :P

http://www.hornet.demon.nl/KSP/Jebjob%205h.craft

Edited by jwenting

I like the design. I'm rather fond of "tractor" style ships. I think you should be able to get to Duna without a problem. With careful aerobraking, you should have the fuel you need to get home. As far as your solar panels, I've done the same thing. Sticking a photo-voltaic panel that doesn't need to be opened would help you make sure your Kerbals don't get cold because you'll always have the juice to open your big wings. Also, with those big wings, you could easily strap a couple of xenon tanks and some ion engines on the ship to help you make little tiny maneuvers without blowing through fuel.:cool:

Margaul the Magnificent, Slayer of the Elevator Boss, Prince Ali, and the guy who always has his finger on the "talk" button.

image.php?ribbon=5731

Thanks. Have one on an escape course towards Moho now with what should be plenty of fuel to at least achieve orbit, but I might try for a flyby on my first interplanetary adventure (7300 delta v left, should be enough for orbit and return, if I don't waste too much fuel). Baby steps :)

Edited by jwenting

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.