That's one small step for Kerbalkind, One ridiculous leap for Jeb (7 pics-Minmus)

Margaul

So after my last post, I decided to combine a test of the nuclear engines on my Skycrosser and a long term Minmus exploration mission with an oversized lander and a rover. I left Jebidiah on the command module and landed my exploration team. Well, we all know you can't leave Jeb alone to run circles in space, so I decided to land him anyway, sans spacecraft.

The first picture is shortly after disembarking from the command module. Jeb has started his jump at ~ 31Km up.

1_zpscda7fbb4.jpg

I burned retro and got the lander site where Jeb could see it. I switched between the map and Jeb until I had a decent trajectory

2_zps1e2873e6.jpg

After a good 9 or so minutes of freefall, I started burning again to get his fall strictly vertical. I got Jeb within a couple of kilometers from the primary landing site, so I was pretty pleased.

3_zpsf9345e59.jpg

Right before touchdown, Jeb got a great view of the landscape

4_zps583bf119.jpg

Jeb touched down with about 20% of his fuel left, and planted his flag. Named the site "Jeb's Resting Place" Not his final resting place, but probably his most awesome (to me anyway)

5_zps0713c65c.jpg

Macsy came along and picked him in the Skyroller to bring him back to camp

6_zpsae925e11.jpg

After the drive back, the shadows were getting pretty long and the Minmus evening was getting close, so I let the boys camp out till the next afternoon before taking a group photo

7_zpsc46e7af9.jpg

All in all, even though a trip to Minmus was setting my sights lower than I normally do for space travel, this was probably one of the most fun missions I've done in awhile. I totally recommend jumping down to Minmus to anyone who is looking for something a little different to do. :cool:

Margaul the Magnificent, Slayer of the Elevator Boss, AKA Prince Ali, and the guy who always has his finger on the "talk" button.

image.php?ribbon=5731

• 2 weeks later...

Welp. I took this picture myself a few days ago...and my friend just hAAAD to add this caption. I made it to minmus, but my lander legs took too much force upon impact as I was distracted, eating a bagel. So with the lander flipped, my Kerbal went a little crazy after 65 days upon the icy surface.

-snip-

Edited by KasperVld

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.