What is your favourite moon and why?

Kerbface

Enceladus and Triton. Enceladus because it's small, but has plate techtonics and giant geysers that blast water into space. (+Coolness points). And Triton was my favorite as a kid mainly because it was a world so far away from the sun. It's also in a retrograde orbit and has a small atmosphere.

Favorit moon huh, I would have to say Pluto/Charon because they are both roughly the same size, and orbit each other while orbiting the sun, and the pure mystery involved in it. Would never want to go there. Long mission, small world, but can't wait for the pluto mission to send back pictures. Even if they take 12 hours to get here.

Also, don't answer "Earth's moon because without it we wouldn't have tides so the planet would have evolved completely differently and we wouldn't exist". I mean in terms of being interesting to you.

Can I say "Earth's moon" if it's for a different reason?

What makes Earth's moon rather unique is its size relative to the parent planet. The diameter of the Moon is 27% as large as the diameter of Earth. You just don't see that with any of the other moons in the solar system. Most other planets have moons that are only a tiny fraction of the planet's size. The large size is owing to the collision origin of the moon and the fact that, essentially, the earth's composition today is a combination of old earth and the impacting foreign body, as is the moon too. The impacting body and the old earth got all melty and contaminated each other with their material, as neither one had a very thick crust yet, and as they spun and shot through each other, a melted-off blob of the now combined glop of the two planets formed like the splitting of a globule in a lava lamp, and became the moon, and then the two cooled off an re-formed crusts, and the smaller body was able to turn solid all the way through, while the larger one is still mostly melted underneath. This history of, what really should be thought of as a two-planet pair system rather than a planet and its moon, is very interesting to me.

My favorite moon is Europa, because not just because it might have liquid water under its icy crust, but because ever since Galileo discovered it, our view of the solar system and universe has never been the same. Good job moon XD

Our moon... why? Look out of your window at night. The biggest thing in our sky, so many miles away. But we've been there. Us plucky little humans took it upon ourselves to build the most powerful machine known to mankind and put people up there. We are still there there are objects humans have touched and made, sat on the surface of the Moon because we dared to push the bar as high as possible. The Moon is the peak of human ingenuity and curiosity and no matter how many times I look, I will always get the chills knowing people have been there.

Points to Username... I'm even named Diana.

But over all don't make me pick. Luna is so huge and close for a staging point, and the number of living people who've been there is rapidly shrinking

Phobos and Demos are cool for being small, Io has volcanos!! Volcanos!

Europa could have Kraken, Ganymede, HUGE!

Calisto looks like it got hit by a shotgun.

Titan, metane life, Triton is slowly dying,

Why do I have to pick!!!!!

I'll have to go with our own Earthly moon since it's the only one I've ever seen with my own eyes, and it's always been fascinating since it's the stepping stone to mankind's future in the cosmos.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.