Caterpillar Tracks- NOW OPEN SOURCE, ALL FILES OPEN TO PUBLIC

Since both myself and 6.forty are super-busy these days, and cant spare much time on this mod, I am handing it over to everyone in the forum to fix/update/tear apart/[censored]/play with.

All the files in this mod are now fully free to use as you wish, its all gone open-source now.

The download below contains a few models in FBX format (3 rigged tracks, and the modular platform set to go with the crawler tracks, the crawler set is all in a single fbx file but is easy to seperate into modular chunks) and their textures, as well as a single unity package containing a scene with some tracks all set up and ready to go. I believe that you'll all figure out whats going on in all this with these files. I am also providing a link to the plugin stuff on Github.

Plugin:https://github.com/6forty/trackar

Other files:https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2IpC_cEdLQhWGtpT1owLWhlb0k/edit?usp=sharing

Go nuts with it all, I look forward to seeing what happens with these.

Edited by electronicfox
Updates

Awesome work bud!

Mark 5 icon is infact missing but the part works ok.

Also noticed they get real buggy when 2 different types of track are on same vehicle.

Those minor things aside these are great, and really fill in a gap in part.

Time to rebuild my heavy land vehicles...and time to make some tanks!

EDIT: quick test on the Mark5 tracks....stable with 120tons of LFO on top...seemed like it could take more weight no problem

Edited by KhaosCorp

Awesome work bud!

Mark 5 icon is infact missing but the part works ok.

Also noticed they get real buggy when 2 different types of track are on same vehicle.

Those minor things aside these are great, and really fill in a gap in part.

Time to rebuild my heavy land vehicles...and time to make some tanks!

Thanks for the info! Sometimes varying tracks operating at the same time like to pull away from each other due to their varying strengths and high grip, I'll sort a fix for that when I can.

Found one minor inconvenience; the speed or lack there of. I know tracks aren't supposed to be really fast but I do think especially the mark Three could be a bit faster. And once it finally gets up to a decent speed it won't turn. Forcing you to slow down to a crawl, turn and ... well you get the point by now.

Besides that: great job. Looking forward to future updates.

Found one minor inconvenience; the speed or lack there of. I know tracks aren't supposed to be really fast but I do think especially the mark Three could be a bit faster. And once it finally gets up to a decent speed it won't turn. Forcing you to slow down to a crawl, turn and ... well you get the point by now.

I'll keep this in mind for some future re-balancing.

Not fast!!! your just not building right =P

aeTGu1X.png

that's a very stable 80 m/s I should add...granted I had zero turnability...but fun none the less!

even did a little jump at 83 m/s...blew the tail up but the tracks held up just fine

Keep in mind that tracks are built for traction, not speed. Get it on a steep incline and you'll see the benefits.

As for turning at high speed, this was a very difficult thing to balance out, but the wider your track positioning is, the easier you should turn. Alternatively the tracks work well in conjunction with regular wheels, so halftracks could be the best of both worlds.

halftracks could be the best of both worlds.

And so they are.

cJB2niL.png

It used to have four wheels in the back, but I like this version better. I have to admit, I spent something like ten minutes just driving it over slopes and going 'squee' at the suspension working. Great mod, great mod.

I have to admit, I spent something like ten minutes just driving it over slopes and going 'squee' at the suspension working. Great mod, great mod.

I've been doing this since the very first version...its always a delight to witness.

This. Great job on the mod but a lil too slow for my tastes. Ill keep an eye out for future updates.

Keep in mind that tracks are built for traction, not speed. Get it on a steep incline and you'll see the benefits.

As for turning at high speed, this was a very difficult thing to balance out, but the wider your track positioning is, the easier you should turn. Alternatively the tracks work well in conjunction with regular wheels, so halftracks could be the best of both worlds.

aarrrgh you had to just go and say that and give people ideas! That was the first thing I started doing the moment I downloaded it.

4JCyluZ.png

EDIT : above poster, check out ma speed. comparable to stock here!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.