[0.22] Extraplanetary Launchpads Legacy Thread

skykooler

0.22 compatible

Ok, here is Extraplanetary Launchpad version 3.3 (lilcence: GPL). Thanks to Mihara for the heads-up on the Kethane resource change (Majiir may have mentioned it to me, but I wasn't paying attention at the time). Very few changes.

• The space has been removed from the directory name (now ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads).
  • The path of the current save is now obtained from the correct place. This prevents the issue with the craft browser not working after a game has been renamed.
  • Be a little more clever about finding the spawned vessel. This prevents problems with physics and resources should KSP refuse to switch to the spawned vessel (usually caused by the throttle being up a little).
  • Very basic tech tree integration (just the one node at the end of the tree). Proper integration is on my TODO list.
  • Kethane 0.8 compatibility.

It's fairly straight-forward, if you've used Kethane before then this isn't much different except that the manufacturing line is a bit longer.

To bullet-point things:

• Use either of the sensors (big one in high orbit or geomagnetic chipboard for low orbit) to locate Ore deposits
  • Make something with an auger and an Ore container, able to reach a nearby deposit
  • Use auger to mine Ore
  • Deliver Ore to something containing a Smelter and Metal containers
  • Use rocket workshop to convert Metal from Smelter into Rocket Parts
  • Use either Launchpad or Runway (stationary on the ground only) to create pre-designed craft wherever you want them. (Personally, I recommend Mun first, due to its zero atmosphere and low gravity)

first, thanks for the reply. I have used and am familiar with using keth mod. my main questions are related to basically what equipment needs to be launched / landed etc... I see that launching and landing the launchpad is first. for the smelter and that tall workshop, is it the same? just put it on and launch it to same location..??? this is where it is not clear to me... the first phase of getting what equipment to the industry site and what is preferred method(s)...

again, thanks for any comments and help...

first, thanks for the reply. I have used and am familiar with using keth mod. my main questions are related to basically what equipment needs to be launched / landed etc... I see that launching and landing the launchpad is first. for the smelter and that tall workshop, is it the same? just put it on and launch it to same location..??? this is where it is not clear to me... the first phase of getting what equipment to the industry site and what is preferred method(s)...

again, thanks for any comments and help...

You need a launchpad to spawn craft at a location, you need a workshop to convert metal into rocket parts to spawn craft, and you need a smelter to convert ore into metal. If you want to launch craft from your industry site, you'll need all three there.

Want to confirm that v3.3 is working fine now with Kethane 0.8 and KSP 0.22 and all seem to be behaving together. Thanks to Mihara as well!

EDIT: I did notice that the color of all the ore deposits are the same regardless of the ore quantity. They all show up as red, whether they have 14k or 450k. I thought before there was a yellow or orange color for smaller deposits. Definately not a huge deal, just thought I'd mention it...

Edited by ThirdHorseman

Quick question on mining Ore with the Auger. Does Ore follow standard Kethane and Mono rules for fuel routing? If I have an Auger on a rover, will it just start automatically filling up any available container regardless of parts in between, or does it require fuel lines and fuel crossfeed?

Same goes for metal. Once I smelt the Ore into metal will it automatically fill available containers, or do I need to run fuel lines from the smelter to the containers?

Thanks!

uhh, I can't seem to detect any ore; I've tried starting a new save and using both kethane and ore detectors, and I haven't found any. Any suguestions?

(BTW I have only been scanning the mun)

-Just tied minmus to, no luck

Edited by impwarhamer

ThirdHorseman: ore, metal and parts are like monoprop and kethane. 14k-450k? sounds like you got unlucky. While deposit size ranges very by planet, the default range is 400k-20M (Pol has a measly 4k-800k range).

impwarhamer: you need to use the ones from this mod.

uhh, I can't seem to detect any ore; I've tried starting a new save and using both kethane and ore detectors, and I haven't found any. Any suguestions?

(BTW I have only been scanning the mun)

Are you at the proper altitude? The smaller scanner will only work below 60km. And it will only scan when it is the active ship. It won't scan in the background while you are controlling another flight or in the Tracking Station...

ThirdHorseman: ore, metal and parts are like monoprop and kethane. 14k-450k? sounds like you got unlucky. While deposit size ranges very by planet, the default range is 400k-20M (Pol has a measly 4k-800k range).

Ah ok thanks, I figured it worked like that.

And that sucks! I think it's because all my deposit data is from an early version, and I noticed in my kethane.cfg file the largest deposit possible is 500k. I'd like to regenerate the deposits if it means I can get a bunch more, but I have some pretty nice locations right now and I don't want to mess with it!

I have just poked around in the save files and it turns out it has set there to be no ore on any of the planet's. The files are still there, but it just has no deposits. I then tried to load another save which said there where deposits, but as soon as I launched it changed it to 0 deposits.

You need a launchpad to spawn craft at a location, you need a workshop to convert metal into rocket parts to spawn craft, and you need a smelter to convert ore into metal. If you want to launch craft from your industry site, you'll need all three there.

How does the launchpad know how much ore you have at that location? Does the ore need to be in a container physically attached to the pad in some way? Landed at the planet? Less than 1km away?

It's been a while since I played with this and career mode has gotten me interested in it again, but before I stopped last time (and I never actually successfully built a ship) I noted that the launchpad has only 2 attachment points and seems really intended to be landed as a single part on the surface. Is that the case, and if so does this mod essentially require Kerbal Attachment System to function?

It's fairly straight-forward, if you've used Kethane before then this isn't much different except that the manufacturing line is a bit longer.

To bullet-point things:

• Use either of the sensors (big one in high orbit or geomagnetic chipboard for low orbit) to locate Ore deposits
  • Make something with an auger and an Ore container, able to reach a nearby deposit
  • Use auger to mine Ore
  • Deliver Ore to something containing a Smelter and Metal containers
  • Use rocket workshop to convert Metal from Smelter into Rocket Parts
  • Use either Launchpad or Runway (stationary on the ground only) to create pre-designed craft wherever you want them. (Personally, I recommend Mun first, due to its zero atmosphere and low gravity)

Lyinginbedmon, we meet again! I'm Mike Dude from Garry's Mod/facepunch, I made the HK-Drone that all the server owners hate. lol

no ****e sherlock, i was hoping for something little better than a 6 year old's response.

Ask a really dumb question, get a really dumb answer. It really is that simple, strap the workshop to a lander, fire it to the destination via rocket, land it ideally somewhere near your smelter and launchpad, and get to work.

does it need to be attached to the rest of the kit? I am going from looking at the screen grabs in this chat... If there is a tutorial or such i would certainly go there rather than bother others....

It needs to be able to access Metal (from the smelter) and store Rocket Parts (in a container of some kind), and any launchpad you want to use needs to be connected to the Rocket Parts similarly to use them to construct things. Having it attached to something is very helpful in this regard, especially since it can serve as a command point, like a probe core.