[0.22] Extraplanetary Launchpads Legacy Thread

skykooler

d4rkpow3r: The augers have no animations; the VAB design must have the auger tips penetrating the ground. Yeah, it looks terrible :/

Alarconte: Ah, I'm glad it helped, and yes, the "lake" beds on Minmus are totally flat (I've had no trouble with them). As for framerate: I expect the welding mod will help, but I've become used to 2-3FPS when playing. Having a greet MET feels weird ;).

I love this mod! But I have found that to bring out it's best qualities (especially visually) it helps to get other mods to "share".

It's a learning process for sure!

Sweet, I think ill be using the heavy drill for ore and the small one for kethane, thanks for the info, the Auger looks kinda crap without animations.

How to 'plant' them? Your gonna have to clarify that abit.

General use of em....land them like you would anything else in the game...hook up resources...launch rockets....PROFIT!!

I meant place them on another planet/moon.

So I just build a rocket normally, but instead of placing a command pod, I place those launch pads? I think I got it.

...hook up resources...

This is what tripped me up. You need to either have resources attached when you launch from Kerbin or attach them later with docking ports or Kerbal Attachment System.

This image on the first post is misleading, and implies you can just use the launchpad as-is:

n4TzwUn.jpg

I'd love to see a couple images from someone who's actually set up a successful mining/smelting/building/launching base because so far I've not bothered to actually do it.

So I feel really dumb for not being able to figure this out but...

I've scanned Minmus, Mün, and Kerbin for ore so far and it shows 'none' everywhere, but does scan.

Anyone have any ideas?

Still struggling with this. Any ideas anyone? No problem with kethane, tried both scanners, scan dots show up but not ore.

Words alone are not enough to describe how IMPOSSIBLE is it to send those launch pads to the Mun.

Its actually rather easy to get any of the pads to the Mun, they are all light weight and have manageable CoMs...just as easy to land these as any typical 3 man lander.

One method I use for bodys like the Mun with very low gravity is to make a full landing craft around the pad, then once landed bunny hop the pad off onto the ground. The other upside to this is you can transport extra crew in the lander if needed, and then recycle it for parts.

@hordgmium: either you have an outdated version of EPLP, kethane, or you have something installed wrong. Also when reporting issues like this to a mods Dev you need to provide ALOT more info than you have. What other mods you have installed, any red or yellow lines in the debug log ingame (open this with alt+F2), and when a problem happens you can make an output log...do this by alt+F4, the game will close and in your KSPData folder there will be an output_log text file, upload that someplace.

I'd love to see a couple images from someone who's actually set up a successful mining/smelting/building/launching base because so far I've not bothered to actually do it.

Been there, done that.

6h88sTt.jpg

the main problem is, it "wobbles" itself to death if you drive anything off it, like this:

TwvYgGF.jpg

nevertheless, still managed to build and start this from minmus:

BeSdZ7J.jpg

final version of my little "shop"

ZPRc4oI.jpg

Edited by Ratata

@hordgmium: either you have an outdated version of EPLP, kethane, or you have something installed wrong. Also when reporting issues like this to a mods Dev you need to provide ALOT more info than you have. What other mods you have installed, any red or yellow lines in the debug log ingame (open this with alt+F2), and when a problem happens you can make an output log...do this by alt+F4, the game will close and in your KSPData folder there will be an output_log text file, upload that someplace.

Turns out I had downloaded kethane literally one day before the 0.8 release... got it all working now, thanks.

Been there, done that.

6h88sTt.jpg

the main problem is, it "wobbles" itself to death if you drive anything off it, like this:

TwvYgGF.jpg

nevertheless, still managed to build and start this from minmus:

BeSdZ7J.jpg

final version of my little "shop"

ZPRc4oI.jpg

Oh my, you are the God of Kerbal Space Program. And here am I, barely able to send a probe to THE MUN.

Been there, done that.

Wow thanks. This will be useful but I just installed the mod and have not had time to test it. I am not however new to KSP been playing since 0.15 so am a great pilot and dont need a tutorial on how to fly and land this stuff. But what I do need is a written, or a pictorial or a video tutorial on how all this stuff goes together. I have used the Kethane mod before so I know how that works and I have looked at the parts in this mode and get how some of them work as well. But how do the different parts get hooked together. I see you have hoses running all over the place, how did you hook those up would be a good start. I have done better writing than what I am doing here so if I could get a basic explanation I probably could write a tutorial with pics once I got the system down. (don't have time to write well now my three children are causing havoc)

Actually that's 3 parts :)

Does it have the same - and somewhat arbitrary and nonintuitive - restrictions as Kethane?

If my drill bit isn't attached to an ore container, but there's one somewhere else on the base, will that ore container fill? What about smelting? Will it take from any ore container anywhere on my base or do I have to connect them, possibly with backward fuel lines? Will it put metal into any metal container? Will the shop be able to access that metal and will it be able to put parts into any part bin?

IOW, if I send up all these missions, one with a drill bit, one with a smelter, one with a part factory, one with a launch pad, and 3 more each with a cluster of ore, metal, and part containers, and then an 8th mission with a bunch of pipes and pylons to attach them all together will it just work, or will I have wasted that several hours?

I could (and am planning to) test this by generating and regenerating sandbox save games until I find one with ore deposits right under KSC, but I'd rather it was clear to start. Because I can tell you after the problems I had with the relatively simple Kethane system, I don't want to go through that again with a system that is 3 times more complicated.

Edited by 5thHorseman

... But how do the different parts get hooked together. I see you have hoses running all over the place, how did you hook those up would be a good start. ...

The hoses are part of the KAS mod, as are the small boxes on the ground around the base.

Actually its 2 parts to kethanes one...I was not counting the drill in the converter processes.....

Its very easy to open the EPLP resources file and look at the flow type for each....they follow the same rules as...well every single resource in the game.

Its not more complicated than Kethane...its the exact same for all intents and purpose. It just uses multiple parts for processing where as kethane uses single part for processing.

Also for testing Kethane has a debug mode that allows you to respawn deposits...can keep doing that till ya get deposits under KSC for testing.

The hoses are part of the KAS mod, as are the small boxes on the ground around the base.

KAS mod? Not sure I know that one. Will look for it.

Edit:AH, Kerbal Attachment System, I have seen it, (read the description before) haven't used it.

Do I need it to make a functional base? If so It should be listed as a necessary or very least recommended Mod.

Edited by mcirish3

Actually that's 3 parts :)

Does it have the same - and somewhat arbitrary and nonintuitive - restrictions as Kethane?

If my drill bit isn't attached to an ore container, but there's one somewhere else on the base, will that ore container fill? What about smelting? Will it take from any ore container anywhere on my base or do I have to connect them, possibly with backward fuel lines? Will it put metal into any metal container? Will the shop be able to access that metal and will it be able to put parts into any part bin?

IOW, if I send up all these missions, one with a drill bit, one with a smelter, one with a part factory, one with a launch pad, and 3 more each with a cluster of ore, metal, and part containers, and then an 8th mission with a bunch of pipes and pylons to attach them all together will it just work, or will I have wasted that several hours?

I could (and am planning to) test this by generating and regenerating sandbox save games until I find one with ore deposits right under KSC, but I'd rather it was clear to start. Because I can tell you after the problems I had with the relatively simple Kethane system, I don't want to go through that again with a system that is 3 times more complicated.

Ya, what he said.