Naval Battle League 2016-2018

18 hours ago, Sgt Doomball said:

Can't with all of the mods I can't get it loaded fast enough but we could have an air war. *Black Hole Was created in the Kerbal solar system we are all dead*

uuuhhh....... Well I'm pretty suer I can load my BDArmory'd ships in there somehow. *5 hours later* OHMYGOD THE THING MOVED AN INCH!!!! THANK YOU KRAKEN!!!

Hello! I'm new to the forums but have been playing ksp for a few years, and quite a lot of that time has been building stock combat vessels. I have seen this thread a few times before but never joined due to not having an account. Right now I only have 3 three ships I am happy with, but they have only been tested against my own ships and I am desperate for some constructive critism. If anyone had time I would really appreicate some opinions on my craft and how I could improve them.

my ships:

Paradox Patrol picket:

lyLnJtX.jpg

Mass: 38 tons

weapons: 6 i beams

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cxnul1nucb3a0rg/F-Tech Paradox Patrol Picket.craft?dl=0

Quatum Leap Frigate

obhhfKU.jpg

Mass: 61 tons

Weapons: 8 I-Beams 4 Guided quintuple i beam 0.6m missiles

Paradigm Shift Battlecruiser

VBGCNJw.jpg

Mass:117 tons

Weapons: 12 i beams 4 guided quintuple i beam heavy 0.6m missiles

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tfrrc9lhkw3d8kj/F-Tech Paradigm Shift Battlecruiser.craft?dl=0

Since the Paradigm Shift has nearly twice as much mass and nearly 200 more parts than the Quantum Leap and has weaker armour it's not very practical and I will probably need to rebuild it.

Edited by MiffedStarfish
Forgot pic of Paradigm Shift

1 hour ago, Sgt Doomball said:

Use tungsten rods instead of I-beams. The beams will burn up in the atmosphere. 

Y'see, we don't have tungsten rods in stock. Besides, this is vacum-vacuum combat; if your projectiles encounter atmosphere, you have bigger problems.

4 hours ago, MiffedStarfish said:

Hello! I'm new to the forums but have been playing ksp for a few years, and quite a lot of that time has been building stock combat vessels. I have seen this thread a few times before but never joined due to not having an account. Right now I only have 3 three ships I am happy with, but they have only been tested against my own ships and I am desperate for some constructive criticism. If anyone had time I would really appreciate some opinions on my craft and how I could improve them.

Paradox looks cute even though it's like a kitten that would tear you face off. It's something about those claws, they make a ship look more rounded and unproportioned. I'd suggest having a fight or even downloading other people's craft and trying their weapons. It's hard to gauge a ship if you've only ever tested on yourself as your chasing your own tail in a sense. I can't have a good look right now but on face value they look pretty spot on, good structuring, high impact weapon tips, and they're not just a block of ship.

5 hours ago, MiffedStarfish said:

Hello! I'm new to the forums but have been playing ksp for a few years, and quite a lot of that time has been building stock combat vessels. I have seen this thread a few times before but never joined due to not having an account. Right now I only have 3 three ships I am happy with, but they have only been tested against my own ships and I am desperate for some constructive critism. If anyone had time I would really appreicate some opinions on my craft and how I could improve them.

my ships:

Those look like some very nice ships! The general armor design seems solid. Lots of weaponry too. I'd suggest adding more armor to cover the engines in the rear, and other than that, looks great.

Alas, i've finally given in to peer pressure and started venturing into the realms of conventional armor. I've yet again upgraded my Neeson class frigate:

QbZcpPg.png

Its armor has improved over previous designs both in partcount (78 parts vs 84) and in coverage. It can now repel shots from old anti-capital weapons (specifically @ScriptKitt3h's shipkillers) from short ranges. Unfortunately it gets disabled by 2-5 heavy ibeam shots. I'm trying to beef up its weak points, but there's only so much armor i can fit onto a ship that fits in a mk3 cargo bay. Does anyone have any tips on saving partcount and size when designing ships?

4 hours ago, Spartwo said:

78 is very low.

Precisely, especially when someone like myself who builds warships pretty much every other month or so (varyingly) ranges from a few hundred per hull to well over 1k parts with weapons loaded.

Case in point, my newest design so far:

5ZXEEe9.png

clocks in at around 900 parts (give or take, don't remember the exact number currently).

It's really a matter of the ship's size, purpose (long-range missile frigate, up-close fast attack vessel, etc.) and your PC's performance limitations when running KSP that limit your capabilities when building.

(Also, on that note- I don't necessarily have a powerful rig by many people's standards- older AMD CPU with a GTX750 and 8GB RAM, not much by today's ever-inflating standards for gaming performance.)

Edited by ScriptKitt3h

On 3/2/2017 at 0:31 PM, 0111narwhalz said:

Y'see, we don't have tungsten rods in stock. Besides, this is vacum-vacuum combat; if your projectiles encounter atmosphere, you have bigger problems.

Well, you would if you, let's see oh yeah, HAVE THE PROPER MOD INSTALLED!

15 minutes ago, Sgt Doomball said:

Well, you would if you, let's see oh yeah, HAVE THE PROPER MOD INSTALLED!

Woah now. :/

If you had to have "the proper mod installed" then these fights would not happen nearly as frequently. Plus, much of the challenge is in engineering these weapons and armor. Installing mods would mean that instead of engineering, it would be modding. That's a wholly different problem to solve, and it opens up questions regarding what kinds of mods are "legitimate." As it is, we have decoupler rounds and engines with fuel tanks in, and people aren't really sure about that.

8 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

Woah now. :/

If you had to have "the proper mod installed" then these fights would not happen nearly as frequently. Plus, much of the challenge is in engineering these weapons and armor. Installing mods would mean that instead of engineering, it would be modding. That's a wholly different problem to solve, and it opens up questions regarding what kinds of mods are "legitimate." As it is, we have decoupler rounds and engines with fuel tanks in, and people aren't really sure about that.

Rods From Gods mod and one other

hello again, I made a new ship! i orignally intended it to be an unmanned light scouting version of the Paradox, but it turned out having every single variant of space weapons i use! Observe, the F-Tech EX-2:

TREOnuh.jpg

PpfJsDu.jpg

im still testing the armour right now, but hopefully when its ready i can start battling!

download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x2tivsrsgu9rytl/F-Tech EX-2.craft?dl=0

Edited by MiffedStarfish

I read over the rules again, specifically 

3- Ships engage in order of tonnage, lightest to heaviest. Once all ships are used the cycle repeats.

And built a ship that exploits take advantage of that. Behold, (I'm too extravagant) the F-Tech EX-3 BL:

V4xYUa0.jpg

GPheSsD.jpg

It carry four of my heavy guided missiles and is 18 tons. My reasoning is that I can attack first with it and probably heavily damage or destroy any ship I think is the most threatening. It has no armour because... um... <scrambles to open ksp>

(the ion engines run on 2 large fuel cells)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.