Naval Battle League 2016-2018

2 hours ago, Alphasus said:

A kill via rule 5 saying no weapons are available due to none being attached to the core, and no propulsion being on the second part of the ship. No weapons, no engines, full kill via rule 4.

Oh my.

Can't tell much from the darkness, but it looks like there was a stress fracture, and another case of an improperly-assigned core. 

Darn. i was hoping the armour around the engines wouldn't just crumple to dust, though :(

Oh well, on the bright side, looks like there are fourteen mincemeat-making missiles there for the taking. Just gotta remember to pack more rcs on the happy days the next time round.

Uh, good kill. *sad gentleman's honor*

9 minutes ago, quasarrgames said:

Oh my.

Can't tell much from the darkness, but it looks like there was a stress fracture, and another case of an improperly-assigned core. 

Darn. i was hoping the armour around the engines wouldn't just crumple to dust, though :(

Oh well, on the bright side, looks like there are fourteen mincemeat-making missiles there for the taking. Just gotta remember to pack more rcs on the happy days the next time round.

Uh, good kill. *sad gentleman's honor*

There was a stress fracture. The vibration caused by the hit severed the core from the body. You need better armor layering, but then you need to build effective impenetrable armor. I am over penetrating your armor at any longer range.

Well, my armor development was not in vain....

Az9mzDK.png

This thing, while it is far from invincible, is super hard to actually destroy entirely.  That, and it is the first AKS warship with a fully armored bridge, something the kerbals serving in the AKS Alliance have been complaining about.  Took the idea i used when i made the shadow-I class frigate where i used girders as windows that could block most smaller weapons fire effectively, and basically modified it and placed it in such a way that the bridge is at least semi protected while offering a restricted but still decent view to the front and up (the way its done you cant see jack to the sides).  Given the hull itself is ONLY 123 parts, and that this thing (from my limited initial testing) holds up rather well against anything including some competitive missiles like the popper, script's asm, and my tripedo-S, as well as the usual ibeam barrages, im very happy with the result in every way (although it doesnt have wings for appearance since i cant really afford the parts until 1.1).  Current loadout is 6 HSG weapons system compatible hardpoints, and 2 aux 0.6m hardpoints at the rear (might remove those since they are kinda useless).

ufzoPUG.png

Also, it has TONS of internal space, currently unused.  Might make a command ship out of the base hull, remove the entire frontal weapons array, make that into a observation deck, and then build internal space for teh kerbals.

Now to fix the 2 remaining issues with it...

Weapons get shot off too easily, and even a critical hit to the middle section with any competitive weapons tends to destroy all 4 tripedoes.  And to fix the susceptibility of the rear to loose engines (although it seems that everyone has that issues unless you use either RCS as a emergency backup engine, or resort to tons of internally clipped ion engines.

Edited by panzer1b

7 hours ago, Iago said:

I am testing some new weapons, does anyone have any well-armored ships I can use as a target?

Gimme a little bit of time, and ill give u a persist with my new SK-CRV-IIg3 which is my current best ship in terms of protection to part count since it has a 116 part hull, and well, insane protection considering how low on parts it is.  I even added redundant propulsion systems in the event that the entire rear is shot apart (havent quite been able to solve that problem entirely yet).

fySjYXm.png

(the SK-CRV-IIg3 is the ship above the destroyed one, no it doesn not go boom that easily :D)

If it passes my final testing, ill upload a file for u to test it out in.  116 part hull which is in my opinion SUPERIOR to almost any ship on here that doesnt use like 500+ parts and thus generally has multiple layers of armor protection, something i just cannot afford to have until U5.

Edited by panzer1b

2 hours ago, SR said:

Is launching refuelling craft allowed?

Normally there's no need, since we all just hyperedit our ships into the orbits we want at the start, and steal fuel from the dessicated hulls of each other's ships. And a ship's probably not going to burn more than 1500m/s of fuel in a battle anyway.

19 minutes ago, SR said:

Why does it have those lander cans on the side?

Because I like to have my vessels manned, but not rely on being manned if cockpits get knocked off. They're also fitted with sepratrons for "emergencies". Otherwise they're useless. I have a probe core that faces forward inside the hull.

I would join, except 2 things. One: I am in the middle of sending stuff up for my Dres awareness project phase 1. Two: after that I'm preparing for a more advanced phase 2 involving heavy cargo transports... BUT I'm sending Dres protection fighters to protect it from haters so if I figure out screenshots I can post some of that stuff. :D

On 3/4/2016 at 0:45 PM, panzer1b said:

Gimme a little bit of time, and ill give u a persist with my new SK-CRV-IIg3 which is my current best ship in terms of protection to part count since it has a 116 part hull, and well, insane protection considering how low on parts it is.  I even added redundant propulsion systems in the event that the entire rear is shot apart (havent quite been able to solve that problem entirely yet).

fySjYXm.png

(the SK-CRV-IIg3 is the ship above the destroyed one, no it doesn not go boom that easily :D)

If it passes my final testing, ill upload a file for u to test it out in.  116 part hull which is in my opinion SUPERIOR to almost any ship on here that doesnt use like 500+ parts and thus generally has multiple layers of armor protection, something i just cannot afford to have until U5.

One: Hope to see it soon

2.I need some help testing a Craft, I'm not a great SSTO pilot, and i tried a cross between an AKS HK-200 and the Stock dove, with my current Lifting body idea. In short, can you test to see if it is capable of orbit, because I cannot fly the Dove OR HK-200 to save my life. (plus: Your the Best SSTO designer on the forums)

Edited by Ogcorp CEO

15 hours ago, Ogcorp CEO said:

One: Hope to see it soon

2.I need some help testing a Craft, I'm not a great SSTO pilot, and i tried a cross between an AKS HK-200 and the Stock dove, with my current Lifting body idea. In short, can you test to see if it is capable of orbit, because I cannot fly the Dove OR HK-200 to save my life. (plus: Your the Best SSTO designer on the forums)

Im kinda on hiatus till 1.1 as ive recently been on and off in KSP, and every time i try to make something it ends up subpar on armor, and in order to up its armor it means braking my absolute maximum on the hull of 150 parts.  All in all, i just cannot make solid armor without going insane with part counts, and high part counts are impossible to work with in 1.05.  Once i get back though you will defenetely see me active alot more (since KSP is currently my favorite game period). 

Also what HK-200?  The HK-200 was designed as a dirt cheap and super simple purely vaccum (doesnt even use rapier) scout craft, its the HK-201/202/203 that was the SSTOs.  Anyways, im assuming you are talking about the HK-201 since its the most efficient but also hardest to get into orbit. 

In order to get into orbit with the HK-201 (assuming you are using stock fuel loadouts as it becomes exponentially more painful to fly as you add more fuel to it) you need to follow the following:

*full throttle on runway using the rapier only

*begin pull up just as you clear the runway (you should be going above 100m/s), and keep the AoA (angle of attack) at the point where you neither gain nor loose altitude until the craft reaches 250m/s

*slowly climb to ~5km then level out (you should be using a speed of ~300kph as your climb velocity)

*keep wings so you neither loose nor gain altitude until you are going ~600m/s

*climb to 20km while redlining the entire time.  This means you want to be going as fast as possible during teh climb and when you reach 15-20km you want to have your heat bar on the nose cone to be as maximum as possible without frying yourself.  At 20km engage the nuke, and keep going up at ~10-20deg off prograde and let the rapier kick in automatically.

(the above is the hardest part to get right since it takes alot of trial/error to get the optimal ascent profile.  If you fly too shallow you will fry, if you go too steep ejection angle you will not be able to get into orbit since the nuke will not get you to orbital velocity before you drop back and your ejection velocity will be too low.  My suggestion is to quicksave at ~10km and try various ejection profiles until you get it right)

*when the rapier dies you HAVE to have a AP of at least 45km or else you are gonne either fail to reach orbit entirely or you will be burning way more fuel then needed.  You can alter your angle off prograde here as needed but try to gain as much horizontal velocity while reaching a AP of 45-50km on the rapier's fuel supply.

*burn teh nuke at ~20deg above prograde on the nuke until your AP reaches 70km, then just prograde it until you are at the desired final AP

*circularize as you would any other very low TWR craft (that means start the burn early before you pass the AP as the nuke has lousy TWR)

*find the 1st hostile target and like shoot at it

*return to minmus to rearm and refuel

*repeat the last 2 steps as needed until killed by hostile forces

Ohh, and im by no means the best SSTO designer, i just used to be completely obsesses with SSTA concept (single stage to anywhere) so most of my SSTOs had incredible ranges and as always carry actual weaponry.  that said, to achieve what ive achieved i had to use patented AKS fuel compression technology, and matter phasing tech as well since i use xenon tanks to fit 660 LF, and then take said tanks and cram, them into each other until ive achieved the desired amount of fuel fully internal to the onboard drone bay.  So yeah, im not the best, but my SSTOs actually look cool (dont get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with looks of other people's craft, but i just really like ultra compact stuff myself, so for me the AKS craft look pretty cool), carry weapons, and well landing issues aside (never ever try to land one of my SSTOs full of fuel, it does not work at all), arent that unpleasant to pilot.

I am terrible ssto pilot. Like can't even get the aeris 4A higher then 10 km bad pilot. I'm a sorta decent ish rocket pilot though. But I don't know craft files :(. Also, I am making progress on my cargo crusier. It didn't spontaneous combust for once! After I figure out screenshots (I'm trying!) and I get it into space, I will definitely load it up with missile racks and show you :wink:. So yeah. I'm working on my thingy. And trying to get it into space no hacks or cheats. And it weighs about 750 tons. 

6 hours ago, panzer1b said:

Im kinda on hiatus till 1.1 as ive recently been on and off in KSP, and every time i try to make something it ends up subpar on armor, and in order to up its armor it means braking my absolute maximum on the hull of 150 parts.  All in all, i just cannot make solid armor without going insane with part counts, and high part counts are impossible to work with in 1.05.  Once i get back though you will defenetely see me active alot more (since KSP is currently my favorite game period). 

Also what HK-200?  The HK-200 was designed as a dirt cheap and super simple purely vaccum (doesnt even use rapier) scout craft, its the HK-201/202/203 that was the SSTOs.  Anyways, im assuming you are talking about the HK-201 since its the most efficient but also hardest to get into orbit. 

In order to get into orbit with the HK-201 (assuming you are using stock fuel loadouts as it becomes exponentially more painful to fly as you add more fuel to it) you need to follow the following:

*full throttle on runway using the rapier only

*begin pull up just as you clear the runway (you should be going above 100m/s), and keep the AoA (angle of attack) at the point where you neither gain nor loose altitude until the craft reaches 250m/s

*slowly climb to ~5km then level out (you should be using a speed of ~300kph as your climb velocity)

*keep wings so you neither loose nor gain altitude until you are going ~600m/s

*climb to 20km while redlining the entire time.  This means you want to be going as fast as possible during teh climb and when you reach 15-20km you want to have your heat bar on the nose cone to be as maximum as possible without frying yourself.  At 20km engage the nuke, and keep going up at ~10-20deg off prograde and let the rapier kick in automatically.

(the above is the hardest part to get right since it takes alot of trial/error to get the optimal ascent profile.  If you fly too shallow you will fry, if you go too steep ejection angle you will not be able to get into orbit since the nuke will not get you to orbital velocity before you drop back and your ejection velocity will be too low.  My suggestion is to quicksave at ~10km and try various ejection profiles until you get it right)

*when the rapier dies you HAVE to have a AP of at least 45km or else you are gonne either fail to reach orbit entirely or you will be burning way more fuel then needed.  You can alter your angle off prograde here as needed but try to gain as much horizontal velocity while reaching a AP of 45-50km on the rapier's fuel supply.

*burn teh nuke at ~20deg above prograde on the nuke until your AP reaches 70km, then just prograde it until you are at the desired final AP

*circularize as you would any other very low TWR craft (that means start the burn early before you pass the AP as the nuke has lousy TWR)

*find the 1st hostile target and like shoot at it

*return to minmus to rearm and refuel

*repeat the last 2 steps as needed until killed by hostile forces

Ohh, and im by no means the best SSTO designer, i just used to be completely obsesses with SSTA concept (single stage to anywhere) so most of my SSTOs had incredible ranges and as always carry actual weaponry.  that said, to achieve what ive achieved i had to use patented AKS fuel compression technology, and matter phasing tech as well since i use xenon tanks to fit 660 LF, and then take said tanks and cram, them into each other until ive achieved the desired amount of fuel fully internal to the onboard drone bay.  So yeah, im not the best, but my SSTOs actually look cool (dont get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with looks of other people's craft, but i just really like ultra compact stuff myself, so for me the AKS craft look pretty cool), carry weapons, and well landing issues aside (never ever try to land one of my SSTOs full of fuel, it does not work at all), arent that unpleasant to pilot.

I wish I had the patience to wait for 1.1, but I have WAYYYYYYY too much free time so I need something to do.

also, compact lifting body SSTO fighters are my obsession currently

BTW: I hear ya bout the LAGFEST part. I got KSP to almost 60 frames a second with Midget the Hackintosh, and teh thing aint fast. But with 1.0.x updates it broke completely, (1.0 had a Performance hit tho)

Second post, ended up merged:

anyone want to have a small scale lagfest?

I'll bring a B-corp Vengeance class carrier (By: Panzer1b), and maybe a fighter or 2 (By me)

waiting fer a reply

Edited by Ogcorp CEO

Finally made a Gaz-49P replica with a working turret!

Ktpz9dU.png

My new turret is amazing, its a hair more susceptible to fire then older models, but its 1x1x1 with around half a ibeam sticking out of the top to which you can attach stuff.  Ohh and unlike older models, this one self reataches after you quickload or go far enough away for physics to disable (then return to it).  So i can detach turret, fire at something, and reatach it afterwards.  Ohh, and its ONLY 25 parts, considering that included in that are 2 reaction wheels and a control until+generator, you cant get a better deal.  I might try to make a replica panzer1b with it since its actually small enough for that purpose (although not sure how ill make the MGs work, need to invent some weakish but automatic and multishot weapon).  Still, it aint invulnurable, and will die to a direct hit, but it seems to take glancing blows quite well and doesnt jam that much when shot.

6ct4OLe.png

Edited by panzer1b

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.