Little Flyer III - Solar ULM - No Batteries Included

Hi everyone!

For those who liked my first concept of a Little Solar Flyer, here's the update on the same.

This has no batteries at all, it can fly all day (as long as there's xenon) with only the sun and the 5 units power on the OKTO2.

it weights 1.89 tons. 73 parts. Top speed of about 40 m/s.

I haven't taken long to test it due to work, but it flies really well, it is just a bit nose heavy, but you can adjust it with the Alt+S/W trim keys to maintain a fair flight. This is most likely to be easy to solve with weight distribution, I don't just have more time for that now.

Remember to disable wheel steering as well as the motors for a more real ULM performance, as it starts raising the tail, gear up. At about 18 to 20 m/s, give it positive pitch, and you're on your way!

NOTE: Remember not being able to land? Solved with the use of EAS-4 Strut connector. Somehow it increases drag and weight, so that the little bugger is a lot more easy to land.

Fly low, slow and enjoy!

Craft File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k0aequztsh134yz/Little%20Flyer%20III.craft

A few Pics:

On runway take-off:

NNYfYzb.png

And... flying around:

CEBzF68.jpg

pdjV4Iu.png

Cute! I have been playing with it, and rotating the tail a few notches in the SPH will take care of that trim issue. Remember, IRL, tail planes lift downwards. Very cool plane nonetheless! Also I would recommend remapping rover controls to IJKL so they don't interfere with flying. The ladder is also superfluous, and it makes it yaw ever so slightly.

Rune. Suggestions for the Mk II, you know.

I remember back when solar powered ion planes were big, it's nice to see them make a comeback. Great work!

EDIT: Don't do a barrel roll. If you value your Kerbonaut's life, do NOT do a barrel roll. Also, don't attempt to fly at times that aren't high noon.

EDIT AGAIN: Ignore previous edit, if you do barrel/aileron rolls and loops at a decent altitude, it's pretty cool.

Edited by Elven_sword

Glad to see you guys liking it!!! :D

And RUNE, yeah, about the ladder, I didn't know how to get the kerbal on the seat while designing the thing :P (now I know) and forgot to remove it! :P :P

One more thing, I've tried it with the small nose cone at the front , without avionics, and it is a bit better. I believe that is because of the weight and the avionics nose cone is useless in this plane.

hyperformer - I would love to show more, though I'm a bit jammed with work right now, but thanks a lot!

Elven_sword - I've only tested it during high noon, hehe! But it still flies fine.

Sticking a couple of batteries on the tail seems to solve balance issues and power loss during aerobatics. I'd love to see a 2-seater version! This is a great trainer for stuff like buzzing KSC buildings, it handles nicely, but not too reactively.

That's a great idea, a two seater! Maybe we can make one in tandem and another in parallel!

I'l try it next chance I have. And yeah, gonna try also those bats on the tail.

Don't be shy to share your Solar ULM's in here people, even if the design is much different, it's all about sharing, right!?

That's a great idea, a two seater! Maybe we can make one in tandem and another in parallel!

I'l try it next chance I have. And yeah, gonna try also those bats on the tail.

Don't be shy to share your Solar ULM's in here people, even if the design is much different, it's all about sharing, right!?

Does it work on Duna?

Disarmingbaton5 - Yeah, it sure was bolted there at the very last minute... :P

You got that right, tachnicalfool! I had already thought about it too. Nice contraption you got there too. I'm just not a great fan of mechjeb!

Let me get to the two pilots version, then... hehe!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.