(0.20.x) Magna-Tech Electro-Magnetic Pack. (Wayland Corp.)

Devo

image.php?id=3CA7_51BA7A0A&jpg

Having hung up my dedicated Sci-fi Movie and TV model work for the time being, I've decided to concentrate on more dedicated, original Packs. There are some movies and shows that have a great potential for a pack, such the Space 1999 - it could be made into an incredible pack (so many modules and parts). Making these provides alot of enjoyment, but at the same time doesn't allow you to explore any of your own ideas or creations. Recently I had the fortunate opportunity to join forces with Sirkut, who seems to be alot more proficient in the plugin side of things than I am, so this will hopefully make a great combination where we can make unique, original parts and also provide plugin support for them. Weve only just begun working together so bear with us while we sort out the time zones and projects.

The first pack I'll be modelling is..

The Magna-Tech Pack.

Project objectives:

• The aim of this pack is to create a set of useful and unique parts that all roughly adhere to the same styling and principles (mainly electric or electro-magnetic propulsion and activation)
  • The pack will contain replacements for all stock items such as custom rover wheels, engines, fuel tanks,parachutes, docking clamps, command modules etc.
  • One main goal for this pack is to not create cheat parts, but semi believable futuristic concepts that could possibly work. The fuel tanks will pretty much look like fuel tanks, the engines will of course be Ion flavoured for this pack also.
  • Animations! yes.. pretty much every single item will 'do something' :) I am a big fan of both functionality and eye candy and believe they can work together in harmony without looking like a lead acid battery attached to a tin can.
  • Ambiguity: All parts will serve some other purpose other than their intended one. This could be something wierd and wacky, or it could be completely stock, that I suppose will be the easter eggs in the pack. To be honest, even I don't know what I'm going to come up with some times, I like to model off the bat and just see what comes out of the day.

Over the coming weeks we will update this thread with all the wierd and wonderful creations that this pack will comprise of, be sure to check the thread regularly as I will be updating it almost daily.

(I will be reserving the next post also incase this one gets too large!)

Most of the pack built so far has been the more complex pieces like the wheels, but they are done and I can move onto the rest of the stock parts.

Here are some preview images for some of the complete parts:

HMV-1 Mono Hover Wheel

(and yes, I finally did a video in a higher res! :))

(The below is in progress, the Kerb-O-Wheel)

Mono Wheel designed for single kerbal use with a command chair in the centre console obviously. Currently in wild testing.

Since the idea failed so miserably on the first attempt, the wheel was redesigned into the HMV-1, but this is still being developed.

(for other modders wanting to try a monowheel, you cant put anything inside a spherical convex collider! so making a wheel and monowheel in the one is hard, but im trying!

image.php?id=04E5_51BA7A0A&jpg

BTTF-1's Stock wheels with built in thruster ports (testing complete next : adding variable thrust vectoring)

image.php?id=5637_51BA7A0A&jpg

ARC-2 Stock Rover MagLev wheels (testing complete, ready for pack)

image.php?id=A7B6_51BA7A0A&jpg

Edited by Devo

One of the new cargo containers for the pack. This is closer to what the overall texture for the pack will be like. 2.5 meter version.

The animation will be split, this is just a demo of it all opening...

That has a nice utility to it.

Can your APC fit inside it?

APC can fit, but not the Ute, the wheels stick out too much. I need to make I think a larger one and a custom command pod, because going from 5 or 6m diameter to 2.5 might look a bit wierd but I'll see how I go. That was just a test really on how fast I could do a piece, model and texture for that took about 2 hours in total, animation about 10 minutes - but I suppose that's the advantage of doing it for the fun of it and not working for Squad :) Not saying they work slow, I'm just saying in a business, you have to do all the business stuff. The firm I work for is fairly large.. heck, we have meetings about having meetings lol. Also, Now that we can put our nodes in unity, you guys have no idea how much time that shaved off my workflow.

APC can fit, but not the Ute, the wheels stick out too much. I need to make I think a larger one and a custom command pod, because going from 5 or 6m diameter to 2.5 might look a bit wierd but I'll see how I go. That was just a test really on how fast I could do a piece, model and texture for that took about 2 hours in total, animation about 10 minutes - but I suppose that's the advantage of doing it for the fun of it and not working for Squad :) Not saying they work slow, I'm just saying in a business, you have to do all the business stuff. The firm I work for is fairly large.. heck, we have meetings about having meetings lol. Also, Now that we can put our nodes in unity, you guys have no idea how much time that shaved off my workflow.

No thanks to the devs on helping us out with that one.

Hooray! now we can do this..

If only it supported animation too! I hope soon...

Now I can actually show you work in progress without stuffing around uploading videos and oddbodd screenshots..

gotta love technology..

Edited by Devo

2 things,

1. This is a awesome

2. Where did you get the name Wayland Corp?

1. Thank you

2. It's a joke, it's a pun on "Weyland Corp." from the movie Aliens, as I started modding making aliens ships and although Im not now, the name just sorta stuck lol

i.e instead of "Building better worlds" we're "Building better Muns" :sticktongue:

After youtubing I am aware there is a band also called Wayland, but there is no relation.

Looking good Devo. Can't wait to get a hold of that Big Wheel. Only wish it had a Harley engine with six chrome exhaust short stacks instead of the batteries...just a bit impractical on the Mun. Just ignore me and carry on Sir.

Devo- that monowheel seems Ideal for an exo-planet exploration vehicle. Could you make one without the RCS and one with RCS? That should make it easier to work on, as you can work on getting the movement of the wheel done right, before adding the RCS and secondary animation.

Devo- that monowheel seems Ideal for an exo-planet exploration vehicle. Could you make one without the RCS and one with RCS? That should make it easier to work on, as you can work on getting the movement of the wheel done right, before adding the RCS and secondary animation.

Already there mate :) They are ready to go actually, ill pop then up int he first thread in about oh.. 3-4 hours when I get home form work.

I made the the non RCS version first, so I actually have one that does not animate and has no RCS, I also have made a few more based on that design, you know the Motorbike that Batman rides? well I sort copied that design a little bit and made something more kerbal, but still pivots on the wheels (on an angle) like the bat bike does. Sorta happened by accident I have to admit, but it was so cool that I decided to make a Tron bike out of it too, im sorta getting addicted to vehicles now, if only I could get my suspension arms working as well as I wanted, but i'll get there, it's all learning fun.

I wanted the kerbal sitting inside the wheel :( but due to limitations with Unity this just is not possible. I made the Wheel centre a command chair, but even then because the chair was inside the wheel collider it proved to be very difficult to even right click on and enter the chair, so I am not sure how I will overcome the problem. I could not have any wheel damage and remove all the colliders, we'll see.

Unless anyone knows how I can put things inside a convex collider.. back to the drawing board on that one. I did just release some wheels in the other thread, the one in my sig.

You could make a bubble-cockpit there, and use that as the seat for the kerbal...

The issue is having something inside the wheel. There is a spherical collider, which means if you try and place anything inside the wheel, it finds a magical sphere barrier, so you cant put the kerbal seat in there

But never fear!! :)

Thanks to Sirkut and his immense coding magic, not only can we make our own command chairs, but we can now make twin command chairs :)

I will get this thing working, I am so committed to it now lol...

It will need wings that pop out on request tho, I can see this thing bouncing into the atmosphere off a good jump!

It will need wings that pop out on request tho, I can see this thing bouncing into the atmosphere off a good jump!

Wings? I would probably spend hours just activating/disactivating them...

On another note, you could try making the seat be very wide, extending outside the colliders, or would that not work?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.