I made it to Eeloo!

OUScooby

I honestly wasn't even trying to get there. Last night I decided to try and build the lightest most minimal ship I could in an exercise to see how far you can go on how little. The ship is made of one Mk1 Lander Can, one FL-T800 Fuel Tank, one LV-N Atomic Rocket, three LT-2 Landing Struts, three Modular Girder Segment XL, and three EAS-4 Strut Connectors and one Telus-LV Bay Mobility Enhance and one MechJeb unit because it is lighter than an ASAS. And the girder and struts are only there because the Atomic Rocket engine is longer than the landing legs. But that's it just 14 parts.

I didn't know how far it could go but with Eeloo being the furthest planet away, I decided to aim for that and see how close I got. It's funny Eeloo seemed like this daunting challenge being so far out and here I am having landing on when just experimenting with the simplest ship possible.

Oh course, poor old Sean Kerman doesn't have enough fuel to get home, and I haven't currently designed a ship that can reach Eeloo and back, so now I'll have to design a rescue mission. I think it will go like this: I'll wait for Eeloo to reach the closest point in its orbit and the Sean will take off and use every last drop off fuel to get as close to home as possible. And rescue ship, probably the one I used to get to Dres and back will rendezvous with Sean somewhere out in deep space and he will EVA on over into it and that will fly him home. But that's all for another day, til them poor ol' Sean will just have to wait.

screenshot50_zps402717b9.png

Sean doesn't seem to mind getting stuck on Eeloo.

Also, if you burn for the inner solar system when Eeloo is farthest from the sun, you don't have to kill as much velocity to drop into the inner part of the system...and maybe you can arrange for an aerobraking encounter.

Sean doesn't seem to mind getting stuck on Eeloo.

Also, if you burn for the inner solar system when Eeloo is farthest from the sun, you don't have to kill as much velocity to drop into the inner part of the system...and maybe you can arrange for an aerobraking encounter.

Going on about that, I wonder if it would be possible to use a gravity assist from Jool to drop your orbit as well :o

Congratulations. I too made it to Eeloo on a very light ship once, but it was exploration vessel without landing gear of any kind. I did not dare landing on engine bell, so after mapping the planet i returned my Sparrow to inner system.

I think this belongs in the Mission Reports section, although I'm not a mod or anything so don't hold me to it.

/offtopic

Congratulations mate! Eeloo's one hell of a planet to get to. Takes a lot of Delta V to get to. Big inclination changes. Plus, it's not really sporting an equatorial orbit. And, it's a giant snowball. Basically, an inverted Moho.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.