Great Disappointment On Rescue Mission

Konovar

So i recently bought KSP and i'm enjoying the game greatly. I finally got to the moon, but i end up destroying the rocket ship except for the command pod. So one of my little guys is safe on the moon, waiting for me to rescue him. I send up another rocket to get him. For some reason, I thought that an external command seat would be great for the rescue mission. I spend hours trying to land as close as possible to my little guy.

I was only able to fly the rocket about 6Km, making my abandoned astronaut having to walk and fly 6Km. Once he hops on, we fly back to kerbal earth. Upon reentering the atmosphere, i start laughing uncontrollably that my external seat is also showing the burning animation and the kerbal is smiling with burning fire around him. He is fine until the parachute opens up. Once the parachute opens up and expands, it snapps the ship up and the external seat just brakesoff and my little guy zooms into the ground. After hours of trying to rescue my guy, he ends up flying into the kerbal earth ground.

That is where the great disappointment settled in.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.