Modular SRB (Solid Rocket Booster) Pack

pilotdes

Hi all, i had an idea of making a Modular SRB mod-pack. you know how the Space Shuttle used two six-segment SRBs? yea, kinda like that, but you can make the SRBs as large as you want because of the modular/segmented design, and have different engines for added variety and thrust etc. The mods in the pipeline :).

solid-rocket-booster-cutaway.jpg

(BTW it would be my first OFFICIAL KSP mod too...) and ill post my progress on this first post too

Joint Project Between me(Pilotdes) and zekew11

Edited by pilotdes
update

pretty much what my general idea is:

-create custom SRB components(tanks, engines, nosecaps with and without parachutes, decouplers, and seperation motors)

-create custom resource file, with resources being kerbalized versions of real-world solid-rocket boosters

-different engine thrusts depending on what Solid-Fuel it runs on

-AND HAVE FUN LEARNING!!!

ps: im happy to work with and learn from people :)

pps: anymore questions, ideas, offers of help or teaching would be much appreaciated, THANK YOU :) :)

Ill keep that in mind, thanks mach :) any other ideas/tips? I mean, obviously the first release wont include EVERYTHING, itll be kinda like a trial to see what everyone thinks, keeping in mind its my first ksp mod, and first time with blender

alright, i've had a look at it, and played around with stock parts, and i think i mite make a preliminary release to see what people think, after editing some stock components to change textures etc. i want to see if people like it, and if its worth continuining

The only issue I see here is that I think if you just make solid fuel able to flow, you can use fuel lines to redirect it, which is inaccurate to say the least.

im gunna have a look around and see if i can find a way around that, thanks for the input NovaSilisko :)

PS: is anyone good with making 3D models? im looking for a hand :)

Just remember that length adds thrust and width increases the burn time.

This is another problem you'll face... Let's take the two stock SRBs as an example, both should burn for the same time, but the white one should produce more thrust than the yellow one. If you want to make your SRBs modular, you'll have to write a plugin. :)

AWESOME! Been waiting for this forever! :D

YAY, SOMEONE THINKS ITS WORTH IT!!! :);)

it may not be the best quality tho, my first KSP mod (First from scratch anyway...)

thanks, and ill keep this thread updated with how im going, should have an alpha release out sometime this or next week, school dependant :)

Just remember that length adds thrust and width increases the burn time.

This is another problem you'll face... Let's take the two stock SRBs as an example, both should burn for the same time, but the white one should produce more thrust than the yellow one. If you want to make your SRBs modular, you'll have to write a plugin. :)

Ummm, one problem... What would i put in the plughn. That then brings another problem... What to use and how to write?? (unless someone wants to join up with me on this project *hint* *hint*)

Finally, someone who wants to change my one problem with this game. I have been waiting ages for this. Also I really wish I had any of the skills you need to help you but at the moment I do not but if I did, this would be a project I would love to work on.

Actually, it would be fairly easy to fix the fuel flow problem.

Something akin to

PartResource RES_SRB;
if (part.parent.Resources.Contains("SRB Fuel")) {
RES_SRB = part.parent.Resources["SRB Fuel"];
}

RES_SRB can then be drained into a small "tank" that the engine has (0.1 units maybe?) via plugin simply by

double temp = 0.1;
temp -= RES_SRB_ENGINE_Tank.amount;
if (temp == 0) {
}else if (RES_SRB.amount > temp) {
RES_SRB_ENGINE_Tank.amount = 0.1;
RES_SRB.amount -= temp;
}else{
RES_SRB_ENGINE_Tank.amount = RES_SRB.amount;
RES_SRB.amount = 0;
}

Edited by Fel

Actually, it would be fairly easy to fix the fuel flow problem.

Something akin to

PartResource RES_SRB;
if (part.parent.Resources.Contains("SRB Fuel")) {
RES_SRB = part.parent.Resources["SRB Fuel"];
}

RES_SRB can then be drained into a small "tank" that the engine has (0.1 units maybe?) via plugin simply by

double temp = 0.1;
temp -= RES_SRB_ENGINE_Tank.amount;
if (temp == 0) {
}else if (RES_SRB.amount > temp) {
RES_SRB_ENGINE_Tank.amount = 0.1;
RES_SRB.amount -= temp;
}else{
RES_SRB_ENGINE_Tank.amount = RES_SRB.amount;
RES_SRB.amount = 0;
}

well my problem is that i use free coding programs. Bt if i can get people to work with me on it i would be extremly happy

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.