Spiritwolf/Hanland Submissions

You do understand though that Unity 5 comes with multi-threading. The whole reason KSP lags so much is that it only ever uses a fraction of your CPU. Now with the upgrade KSP's performance will be based more on your computer's power than the code of the game itself. You really can't do all that much with only 300 parts in KSP.

Unity 5's ability to have your CPU work at it's real potential is why everyone is so excited about it. Unless Squad really messes something up it really will impact the performance of the game.

If you actually did have a quad-core... your performance should be able to at least double from the move to Unity 5 if not more.

As long as only two really big capital ships show up on screen at the same time and Macey speeds up the footage in editing there should be no problem with higher part-count stuff anyways.

will this help my performance as i have a Intel Core 2 Duo (which I think is an older piece of equipment)?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

sorta sad that  macey dissapeared although i dont blame him, used to be way more active in games myself before i had a fulltime job and my life went from 2-4 hours of freetime ontoip of my usual relaxing time i needed to recharge my brain to like half an hour if im lucky (and even that is rare).

Still, im almost certain that 90% of everything in this thread is nolonger competitive, given that ive collected probably 300 warships from the forums over the years and not one of the pre 2017 ships i have are able to withstand any sort of concentrated weapons fire (and a good 50% of them are now complete fodder that dies to a single ibeam+sepatron missile due to the physics changes in the multicore update).

3 minutes ago, Spartwo said:

Well this just makes me feel nostalgic

Mee too, man. Back when I started (between the time he released the main brunt of the show and when he released Laniakeia), I must have watched the entire thing a dozen times, plus all the hours I spent (failing) to replicate his build style and effectiveness. Really got me psyched for the game, despite not continuing with stock warfare at some point.

18 hours ago, Servo said:

Mee too, man. Back when I started (between the time he released the main brunt of the show and when he released Laniakeia), I must have watched the entire thing a dozen times, plus all the hours I spent (failing) to replicate his build style and effectiveness. Really got me psyched for the game, despite not continuing with stock warfare at some point.

Yeah, i actually really got into this game doing stock battles very similar to macey's stuff.  The only sorta lame part is that the physics back in the day were much better for space battles then they are today (it was very rare to have rounds shatter into nothingness like they do nowadays post multicore).

Probably the most iconic thing i actually replicated off of here was the original "ant-torpedo" using 2 dock ports, oscar-b, and ant engine.  Sadly that is 100% useless on the modern battlefield, even starfighters are almost 100% immune to those (most you will do is blow off a solar sail as macey used to call them), and a capital ship is 100% immune to the things.  Post multicore update igf the impactor isnt either very heavy or 80m/s, itll at best do negligible damage.  That and to be perfectly honest, the vast majority of my early ship designs stole the overall shape from his cruiser (whatever that thing that launched the large RT-10s was), basically elontaged hexagon frontal cross section.  Worked well for a while, but if you try to use that now it will just get flattened by modern stock torpedoes reliably.

t7rG3P3.png

My last "old" style warship i made was the SK-IV's predecessor with the same name, and aside from the tapered rear (which was something i came up with to make the ships look less like boxes), it really is a copy of his design style in terms of general shape/layout (even has the 2 side mounted 1.2m weapon hardpoints).  Actually now that i think about it, its one of the ships im most proud of in the history of KSP, as its made using 100% conventional armor (no cargobays), and considering its survivability it was one of the best things ive ever seen in the game (at least before the advent of MK2 armored ships).  Sorta a shame the physics changed so much that it rendered all the old style armor useless, but hey, adapt and change (and redesign all your ships from the ground up :)).

Still doing that actually, but BG DLC is making it a bit more unique for me (just made a ship with 2 working articulated turrets, albeit still havent been able to hit anything in space with them as it seems its very hard to arbitrarily aim at something by eye, might try adding a command deck to a turret and see if that works more effectively).

mCqMS68.png

KXeCfIS.png

I doubt this will have any use in real fights (unlike BDA there is no follow cursor option), but its still really neat that we can have turret mounted weapons (which do shoot fyi)...

Edited by panzer1b

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.