How to Cheat

zombie2u

Hit Alt + F12 on KSP, and you can set everything to no grav ...

Actually, I think the hack gravity option just severely reduces the amount of gravity, haven't done any tests but I still see a slight downwards acceleration and the map still shows elliptical orbits are possible around Kerbin.

Certainly, the cheats make it easy to do things with rockets that won't otherwise. Mechjeb is computer control of flight useful for building space stations from multiple launches- not really a cheat unless your goal is manual control of flights for that purpose. Currently, KSP is a sandbox where you can do whatever interest you in this sim. Once Career Mode is implemented and you play the game as a career, then the cheats become that.

The gravity cheat is certainly useful for testing spacecraft designs without having to boost them into orbit to see if they will work or not.

The real challenge for long range flights is designing rockets that will do the job without the infinite fuel cheat.

I mostly use it for testing things. The infinite fuel is useful for testing large landers on Kerbin without having to build a large rocket. Hack gravity is good for testing spacecraft on the launchpad, and the No Part Clipping is good for making something look good.

I enjoy cheating. Been using HyperEdit to finally play with the Extraplanetary Launchpads mod on the Mun. Even with cheating, I couldn't figure out how to strap the modules I made to a rocket, without it wobbling while sitting on its clamps.

I also know that cheating ruins the challenge and the point of getting a rocket there. But after many failed attempts of landing something other than a probe rover on Mun, I resorted to that.

Some of the vehicles I wanted to get to another planet, were often too big to be transported. HyperEdit made it easier to get them there.

As for other planets like Duna (when I feel it's time to explore other planets instead of the Mun), I won't be using HyperEdit. The whole reason was to get my modules to the Mun and play with them. Now I know how they work, I'll play semi-legit (using the ingame cheats instead of mod cheats) and fly from Kerbin.

I don't use this "MechJeb" mod. Looks too complicated, and I don't really see a need for the computer to control my rocket when I can easily do it myself. :)

A got a simple rocket, legitimately, into a stable orbit around Kerbin. That was a small one manned capsule rocket too. I also got a 3-manned capsule up (used the rocket design from a Youtube video).

Edited by Benie

The part clipping is great for engine clusters, and making spaceplanes look good (but i have a rule for that, no fuel tanks or batteries and generators inside eachother, only structural parts can clip, and its not cheating for engine clusters unless the engine bells clip. consider it one multinozzle engine, not five engines with their pipes and bases eating eachot. hack gravity is great for making sure your rcs is balanced. infinite fuel is good for getting high enough to test launch aborts, or station lifeboats. but don't use those on your actual attempts.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...
1. Go to the folder: C: \ Program Files (x86) \ Steam \ SteamApps \ common \ Kerbal Space Program \ saves

2. There you are looking for your career folder (I think I can do it in research mode)

3. In this you open now: persistent.sfs (with an editor)

4. Now you look best with the search tool Ctrl + F:

(for research points): name = ResearchAndDevelopment

(for credits): name = funding

5. Now you give some amount you want

6. Save

7. Start the game

:wink: