[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

That's exactly what I had in mind, cant wait to use it! Nice work!

Thanks for the idea. Here's a little fun with the unskinned adjustable rail & gantry system parts. Adjustable rails for the engines and gantry for the probe. Didn't have time today to pretty them up.

I have already got so much stuff built with those sliding rails and the gantry in my head.......

Those rails are going to totally change how I base build, going to streamline a lot of docking and changeover processes.

Those sliders are hawt, sirkut.

Will they by any chance be modular? (i.e. any length of rails can be connected together to form longer / more complex segments)

Not with the way the plugin is made. What I can do is possibly supply a set of varying lengths that one could use.

Forgot to mention. I just fixed the hotkey bug in the Infernal Robotics plugin. Now you don't have to assign hotkeys to each robotic part. If the hotkeys are empty, you can just use the GUI (click the <,0,> keys). Updated plugin at github in the original post.

Sirkut, your mods are what people want and need, good work man. I hope we as a community inspire you to continue. I would really like to see you move forward and have your own personal work. i dont mean disrespect to DR or anything.

Recently I have been testing ideas to level and secure a Launchpad on uneven terrain. This testing started shortly after my Laythe LP mission...fell over.

Nothing I have tried so far has worked very well at all. KAS so far has come closest.

I think those rails are going to be the key to a solid lander leveling system. Cant wait!!

Great news. I will make the change to the parts tomorrow.
Recently I have been testing ideas to level and secure a Launchpad on uneven terrain. This testing started shortly after my Laythe LP mission...fell over.

Nothing I have tried so far has worked very well at all. KAS so far has come closest.

I think those rails are going to be the key to a solid lander leveling system. Cant wait!!

One part that will be created is a leveler piston leg that you see on cranes that would help level a craft. Always hated landing on minmus and its not flat and its crooked. :/

One part that will be created is a leveler piston leg that you see on cranes that would help level a craft. Always hated landing on minmus and its not flat and its crooked. :/

That will be amazing! I was so sad when my LP toppled today...was excited to start off-shore testing on Lythe. Good to know I will be able to get back to it in the future with the proper parts =)

This all sounds awesome, can't wait sirkut! I love the idea of being able to balance on an uneven terrain. Every single part you add, adds so much to the game - awesomee :P

wonders if those sliders things could be used in some way to help line up and link up stations on the planets surface :)

Maybe. When you get them, experiment!

I should have the gantry and the adjustable rails done this week for everyone to enjoy. They are simple non-flashy parts so doing the skinning shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

What are some lengths you would like to see?

2m, 5m, and 10m or something like that. Honestly I don't see myself using anything to long, but you never know. Don't even have em yet and I already have 100 uses for em. Cant say I have ever been so excited over a single part before.

MSI/IF is really powerhousing right out the gate! Awesome work being done here, thank you =)

Personally for me, the bigger the better. A 2m and 5m would be good for small utility things, but most of what I've wanted this for are large sliding parts. Cranes, sliding doors on hangar bays, giant extendable space observatory! The bigger the better as it means less parts to replicate. I will be happy with whatever you create!

---

As for width - that's less important to me whereas breaking point/strength is more important. I suppose a thicker/wider rail does make for a more realistic case when talking about sturdiness though.

Edited by Krisism
In response to question below

2m, 5m, and 10m or something like that. Honestly I don't see myself using anything to long, but you never know. Don't even have em yet and I already have 100 uses for em. Cant say I have ever been so excited over a single part before.

MSI/IF is really powerhousing right out the gate! Awesome work being done here, thank you =)

You are too kind. I'm just wanting to make parts that I feel could be useful and practical. It just bugged me that I would have to "ladderize" my ships rather than sliding the main fuselage down to grt closer to the ground. Less ladders, less having to Jetpack up in the air.

What about width. Standard docking port width sufficient? The current gantry mount is the same as the KAS winch system for example.

If the parts are sturdy then standard clamp-o-tron size is perfect imo.

I feel my last post downplayed the importance of the gantry your working on. The gantry is actually the last part I need to finish the Kexxon Valdeees, a massive tanker ship that is capable of off-shore drilling on Kerbin (the smaller version Little Pedro is waiting for the rails to be deployed on Lythe).

If the parts are sturdy then standard clamp-o-tron size is perfect imo.

I feel my last post downplayed the importance of the gantry your working on. The gantry is actually the last part I need to finish the Kexxon Valdeees, a massive tanker ship that is capable of off-shore drilling on Kerbin (the smaller version Little Pedro is waiting for the rails to be deployed on Lythe).

Do you have pics that we could see? sounds interesting

If extra stability is needed I expect it would be possible to use two of these things in parallel to give a broader base. Connecting it up might be tricky given KSP's tree-structure limitation but docking ports, winches, and docking struts can help with that.

Do you have pics that we could see? sounds interesting

I actually haven't taken pics yet, the Valdeees is only 1/2 built. Its just a hull and walls really, I need to work out how the truss/gantrys need to be before I can build the rest of the ship. I will take some when its complete though.

Guess I could show as much as I have done:

This is the Valdeees hull. You can see the hull pass-through near the rear of the ship, that's where the gantry/truss system will drop drills to ocean bed.

I have some of the upper structure and storage build, just saved as subs till I get the trusses in.

VB0t5yK.png

Edited by KhaosCorp