Video Walkthrough on Getting Into Orbit

This is a 9 minute video guide explaining how to build a simple rocket that's orbit capable and then takes it from the launch pad into a stable 50km orbit explaining the flight step by step. It only uses pieces from the default game with no config edits, so everyone should be able to copy this and get a good idea of how to fly.

I refernce this highly useful table of estimated circular orbit speeds : https://gist.github.com/1075144 : no astronavigator should be without it.

Awesome video, great narration, I wish I could trim my heading that neatly :P

Favourite part though:

'Now you may not be an astrophysicist like me'

Lmfao made my day.

Its simple , just make a ship with 4 fuel tanks and a fuel engine under them , after that use a radial decoupler with symetryes on the fuel tanks and then add thrusters , then just add SAS Modules above them , and there you go , a ship ready to go to orbit , you can change it on your own , make it more potent or more lighter ;D cya

Its simple , just make a ship with 4 fuel tanks and a fuel engine under them , after that use a radial decoupler with symetryes on the fuel tanks and then add thrusters , then just add SAS Modules above them , and there you go , a ship ready to go to orbit , you can change it on your own , make it more potent or more lighter ;D cya

What a brilliant design, where do you get your inspiration from.

This is a 9 minute video guide explaining how to build a simple rocket that's orbit capable and then takes it from the launch pad into a stable 50km orbit explaining the flight step by step.

Perfect. I've been having real trouble achieving orbit.

This really helps.

I'm off to try it now

Thanks illectro :thumbup:

Thank you for this video walk-through!

I've finally achieved orbit.... sorta overshot the mark a little at 1049K or so... but, I Made It!

Yes, I only have a gasp of fuel left, but its been going for 4hours 30 minutes now and has no signs of decay or failing now. It took about an hour and a half to coast up to that altitude.

I have discovered one bug though... I switched to other programs once it looked stable and came back to it. For a while I could still see the pilots names. After about 4 hours (I think) the names became gray boxes. Should need a screenshot?

Great video mate! Still working on refining my orbits, and this video gelled everything together. You should do one on Hoffman Transfer orbits, bet a lot of people here would eat that up.

Agreed. I have no idea wtf that is but if its harder than the standard then I need something to keep me going after I master standard orbiting.

BTW can you give a full list of the mods you use in the video? I saw a lot of juicy looking extras there in your Vehicle Construction screen.