Tipping Rocket on Launch

OK this started today and its with rockets and setups I have used before. When I get to say about 10k to 15k sometimes lower but never higher my rocket wants to "tip over" like its top heavy.

So here is what I did - first I checked my center of mass etc...all good right down the middle. I thought maybe it was just a payload. I added angled boosters to help stabilize on launch.

Never ever got above 15k with the rocket tipping over (loosing control, top heavy feel)

SO ok I was getting frusturated. I launched the same rocket with no payload and it did the same thing - ok so its the rocket not the payload i thought. Played around a bit still every time same thing.

OK SO I launched a different rocket - did the same thing!!

I launched my primary rocket I use for say 75% of my lifts empty, with payload I have launched before etc... same thing.

I thought ok mechjeb? took it off - still doing it. SAS? still doing it. FAB?? took it out still doing it.

Here is a picture of my primary rocket I use.

0L2Xun1.jpg

Here is two launches with the same rocket with TWO DIFFERENT tops (to different size payloads) that I got up no issues.

AmZLlnp.png

NOW here is the kicker... I don't have this problem with STOCK launchers ?!?!?

I have even rebuilt my rockets with no success. I'm lost :(

1) How much tipping over are we talking about, and what guidance systems are you using? By default MJ will begin its gravity turn at around 5-10 km. If you aren't using the ascent autopilot, are you using ASAS and/or Smart ASS?

2) I'm not familiar with the engines on the first stage(KW? Novapunch?); do they have thrust vectoring?

3) What are the drag values for the fairing/nosecone?

I wonder if you're simply going too fast?

You're using FAR and they look like mighty powerful rockets for whats sitting on top of them. Try to keep the speeds down to 250m/s below 10,000m and below 1000m/s (ish) in the next upper atmosphere. Air resistance will build up if you go faster and any slight deviation from your velocity vector will be uncontrollable.

Have an ASAS onboard, and Mechjeb but I do all my launches without autopilot. Just a note I did try MechJeb once and it tipped out of control. ASAS won't hold it.

Tipping as it once I get to say 85 90 degrees pitch it 'falls' like its on a pendalem (sp?) and just spins around with or without thrust never to regain control. I get even get it to point straight down and hold.

Drag for fairing and nosecone is .2 per half nose cone .3 per half fairing.

All engines have thrust vectoring.

8.2t is what I am currently launching into a 200km orbit. At around 10t with the first rocket configuration I have about 300 to 500 dv left once I release the payload. Enough to retro it back to the surface.

I have tried different speeds, throttle controls etc... once it hits that 90 to 85 pitch it falls.

Try lowering throttle. In MJ 2 you can add "Terminal Velocity" to your info windows. If your speed goes above it, lower the throttle. Note that your old heavy rockets become OP when you use FAR

I've had problems like this with stock launchers, too. The best way to prevent it from flipping over during your gravity turn is to do it early and gradually instead of suddenly at 10 km. Start it at 5 km and slowly turn over throughout your ascent.

I've had problems like this with stock launchers, too. The best way to prevent it from flipping over during your gravity turn is to do it early and gradually instead of suddenly at 10 km. Start it at 5 km and slowly turn over throughout your ascent.

That may be your problem, since you are using the Farram Aerospace mod, tipping over more than 5 deg. or so can cause the problem and it would cause turbulence and ruin the aerodynamics of your rocket. I suggest removing Farram and see how it flies.

If your'e using ferram, you need to be careful to stay excatly in the middle of the prograde marker the whole way till you get to about 40km altitude. If you tip more than about 5 degrees past the prograde vector your launch is scrubbed as drag will hit the side of the rocket and just flip it.

Also, make sure your payload is properly strutted, it might be wiggling around a lot and causing imbalances.

I once got around this fault by simply reinstalling KSP to a new directory, copying over all my mods/plugins and saves and hitting go again. It was like something internal to the program just started calculating weirdly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.