[0.22] UbioZur Welding Ltd. 2.0 Dev STOPPED

UbioZur

DEVELOPMENT STOPPED

License now open for anyone who want to feed the community with a welding tool.

saWTTGy.jpg

UbioZur Welding Ltd.

Lower your part count!

This is a welding tool to allow you to merge KSP parts together in order to reduce your part count and increase performance. You will now be able to create big space station or vessel without killing your CPU.

The mass, price, resource quantity are kept as if you had all the part separated.

Feel free to share your creation (either your welded parts, or screen of your craft) in this thread.

Version 2.0 Playtest 5 - KSP .22

Back around the forum as my IRL is gettle more settle for the summer. Continuing the development of a final version.

malkuth fix

Now in-game tool, Open for Play testing.

Not compatible with 1.1, Contain Bugs

Small bug fixes, Config files not found / Model not found

I am busy IRL and cannot work too much on it for the moment, I am still here to help you on the forum.

This first release is to allow you to use the mod to weld tanks / structural parts "safely".

GUI still need to be worked.

How to help with the play test?

- Use the mod as you would like it to, and report bugs you find. (Check the known issues section please, and the support section)

- If you can, play with the part.cfg file to find what is the best way to manage several similar MODULE{}

- Note: Don't try to weld wings / control surfaces , they are not managed completely at the moment.

Download

malkuth fix

Installation

Extract the GameData folder into the main folder where your game is installed.

For example: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program

Usage

Create the set of part you would like to weld inside the VAB or SPH, drag it all to the "Weld it!" button, and follow the instructions.

You will then have your welded part available on the part list.

Career

By default, the tool is disable in career mode (the access for the nodes are not yet flexible enough).

You can change this in the configuration file. All weld are in tier 8 nodes (end of the tree), so it's recommended to finish the tree before enabling it.

All weld done in Sandbox mode will not be displayed in Career mode.

Configuration

The configuration file is in GameData\UbioWeldingLtd\PluginData\UbioWeldingLtd\ config.xml.

You can change the position of the weld button.

You can deactivate the auto reload of the database (useful if you have lot of mods)

You can choose to activate all the attach nodes, or just those non already attached.

You can enable/disable the welding in the career mode

Known Issues

• Crew Hatch: Game allow them only near the CoM of the part. Game won't allow several.
  • Multiple internal are not supported
  • Not all module are supported yet. (a warning message will appear)
  • Winglet/wings/control surfaces / parachutes not yet supported (cfg are still pre 0.15 format)
  • Engine with Alternator Always have Electricity to 0 (Bug/Feature of the game)
  • Multiple Engine with Fairing are not supported by the game.
  • ION Engine Animation Throttle not supported by the game in case of multiple engines.
  • CrashTolerance, BreakingForce, TorqueForce may not be process correctly (need lot of testing to find the good equation).
  • Don't use Merged RCS for rotation, the game doesn't allow it.

Support

If you need support,

Use the Add-on Requests and Support Forum or PM me. Make sure you to share the ksp.log and the created part.cfg file for faster support (use pastebin or [noparse]

Prefix your thread with [Ubio Welder] so I can easily search for those threads.

FAQ
I will update the FAQ as question get asked.

Mods Compatibility
It would take too long to support/test mods parts. So make sure you backup your save file.
Most parts pack should work the same way than stock parts.
Mods that have MODULE{} should be fine as long as you don't merge two parts with similar MODULE{} (A warning message will appear but still allow the welding).

Mods creator can play with the source code to make their mods compatible and then pm me the source so I can merge them. I will not maintain this part of the code as the mod/game get updated.

Feel free to share in this thread what mods works and don't work (work around?) for everyone to know.

Mods reported to have problems:
Lack luster labs
FAR
Part Catalog (sadly)
Some B9 does not work
KW Roketery have some issues

Planned Features / Update

Version History
[/noparse]).

• Making the wings / control surface works.
  • Managing more MODULE{} in case of duplicate.
  • Better GUI
  • Advance tool to modify all value in game (as a separate option).
  • Overwriting welded part.

2.0 Playtest 5
FIXED Some problem with the config file not found.
FIXED Some problem with the mesh file when the config file is not named part.cfg
FIXED Linux problem (hopefully need testing)

2.0 Playtest 4
ADDED A bit more support with the mesh and MODEL{}.
FIXED .22 science part not showing.
FIXED CoM now calculated with the wet mass and not the dry mass
FIXED RCS error, and merging (cannot use the welded RCS for rotation).
FIXED Some GUI bugs/errors

2.0 Playtest 3
ADDED .22 support
ADDED Science module support (Cannot have multiple of ModuleScienceExperiment with the same name)
ADDED Better Animation support (Cannot have multiple of ModuleAnimateGeneric with the same name)
ADDED Transmission data support
ADDED Configuration to allow all Attach nodes to be added
ADDED Configuration to allow welding in Career Mode (advice to disable it until all nodes are researched)
ADDED Support for texture and parent in the MODEL{}
FIXED Problem with crew pod not allowing crew in them
FIXED Jet Velocity Curve Merged
FIXED Drag value, now is an average of all the parts
FIXED CrashTolerance / breaking force and torque value (now 3/4 of the sum of all the parts (previous was average) to test.

2.0 Playtest 2
ADDED Configuration for the auto reload of the game database
ADDED The set of part is deleted from the editor view after the weld or a cancel.
ADDED Multiple Engine support
NOTE: Engine with fairing does not work well(game wont allow Multiple) (Will spam log with Nullexception),
Multiple ION engine wont have the throttle animation (Game wont allow it),
Jet Velocity Curve not merged (not sure how to merge it!)
FIXED Resource merging bug
FIXED Multiple docking port now works
FIXED Cente of Mass isn't offset anymore
FIXED Description can now be change
FIXED Engine FX

2.0 Playtest 1
ADDED Now Ingame tool.
REMOVE All the previous version.

ADDED Mega Jumbo ([URL="http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/38577-0-20-UbioZur-Welding-Ltd-Lower-your-part-count?p=493872&viewfull=1#post493872"]as requested[/URL])
ADDED Mega Grey Jumbo
ADDED Jumbo-96 ([URL="http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/38577-0-20-UbioZur-Welding-Ltd-Lower-your-part-count?p=493673&viewfull=1#post493673"]as requested[/URL])
ADDED Radial Clamp-O-Tron Sr. Docking Port 2 ([URL="http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/38577-0-20-UbioZur-Welding-Ltd-Lower-your-part-count?p=493584&viewfull=1#post493584"]as requested[/URL])
ADDED 2x Cubic Octagonal Strut
ADDED 3x Cubic Octagonal Strut
ADDED 4x Cubic Octagonal Strut
ADDED 2x Modular Grider XL
ADDED 3x Modular Grider XL
ADDED 2x FL-R1 rCS Fuel tank

ADDED Radial Clamp-O-Tron Sr. Docking Port
ADDED Jumbo-64 FL-R1 Fuel Tank
ADDED Grey Jumbo-64
ADDED M-4x4 Structural Panel
ADDED Tri-FL-T800 Fuel Tank

Source Code

The source code is included in the download.

Licence

All open as I have to stop the dev.

Thanks/Credits

• IRL friend Flo for the great C# help
  • TouhouTorpedo, TaranisElsu, Diazo for answering my questions.
  • Faark for sharing this great dev tip and answering other questions
  • AncientGammoner for sharing with me the code to reload the database.
  • jpfx1342 for some code fix
  • Everyone on IRC who answered my question (Plornt, DYJ and others)
  • You guys for pushing me to make it an in-game tool, testing it, and reporting the bugs.

Showcase

[table=width: 1280, align: center]

[tr]

[td]

I tested it, and here are my first results.

Before welding, 6 FPS. After welding 50 FPS!

I can't believe it, it's so amazing! Now i can really play with it and not just lag around.

Also i don't need struts and it stays together and it doesn't wobble anymore.

An7xifrl.jpg

[/td]

[td]

[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]

Here are over a thousand parts compiled into a single part, however also added are the Command Module (in it's proper place), engines, and 26 torque wheels. ~ 20 FPS on my mediocre Alienware laptop. Thank you UbioZur!

[/td]

[td]

StationDisk2.jpg

[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

Edited by UbioZur
Stopped dev

Simple but useful or more ascetically pleasing.

I like it.

for the radial Sr. clamp, could you scale up the stock radial adapter and remove the 1.25m -> 2.5m adapter in the center?

Thanks, I will have a look for the scale. the advantage doing it as I did is that you can put it on 1m tank.

Please weld some long truss sections!

That is my next part I am going to work on :)

I will try to update every about 5 new item I have.

Think you could do one with 3 of the grey tanks? I use them for my interplanetary heavy launchers and it'd be nice to bring down the part count and increase stability a bit.

Will do that and let you know when it's done.

I love it!! Along the same request line, would you actually be able to weld 4, 4.5, and 5 silver tanks as well?

Glad someone finally decided to do this :D

Not sure if you are talking about the grey rockomax (the X200) or the tiny Oscar-B

if it's the X200 then It's coming on the next version for 3 and 4 of them. I don't think I will do more because of the center of mass and heating.

As you may know heat dissipation is calculated depending on how far the attached CoM is from the engine. and by welding the tanks together, this is getting really far. as a test. 2 jumbo (or 4 rockomax x200) together will overheat the mainsail in few seconds unless we are at half thrust.

if it's the Oscar, I could be able to do it.

It is the 200's, and that answer works for me :) ill just stick the extra on the bottom and cluster on that. With these tanks engine clustering will be easier due to part count saved in struts!

I've been doing this ever since I have discovered the MODEL{ commands, works great at reducing lag,

Since then have "welded" docking ports to pretty much everything.

Great Idea for a release thread though!

Especially the fuel tanks,

Definite Download!:)

Just uploaded 1.1 with 10 more parts included some requests

A long linear block of 6 cubic octagonals would be good

I have included up to 4 at the moment. it will save you some parts already. I will keep addind more struts and grider as update comes by.

I've been doing this ever since I have discovered the MODEL{ commands, works great at reducing lag,

Since then have "welded" docking ports to pretty much everything.

Great Idea for a release thread though!

Especially the fuel tanks,

Definite Download!:)

Thanks

I have learned about it from a live stream not long ago, and I do like the idea, I still try to keep it balanced with the game. I decided to release them so people wont have to spend time testing and playing around with the numbers!

Attention with the fuel tanks and overheating.

This seems really useful!

Although I think you should only double up the tanks, like 2 Jumbo 64s and 2 200xs, because anything more is really bad for heating.

Also some 2x and 4x Oscar Bs would be useful, and also segments of those rectangular wings, like 2 or 4 in a row, because really, who only uses one?

Although I think you should only double up the tanks, like 2 Jumbo 64s and 2 200xs, because anything more is really bad for heating.

Also some 2x and 4x Oscar Bs would be useful, and also segments of those rectangular wings, like 2 or 4 in a row, because really, who only uses one?

this is easily fixed the same way we do it now. by adding the small silver tank to the bottom.

I plan on using the decreased part count up again by using engine clustering under every stack instead of just the center stack, so no more mainsails!!

I love it!

Here's a suggestion: multiples of the Pegasus Mobility Enhancers. It's a pain adding those along the longer parts, and I dislike using the extendable ladders for that sort of thing! (Having said that, I'm not sure the "ladder" data in the .mu files will play nicely when used in model{ ... } sections.)

are there any plans to make this an in-game tool? :) it would certainly change how i play and could help with the lag! if we were able to choose which parts were welded to each other :)

so 2 x200 merged have the same overheat ratio than 1 Jumbo, and 2 jumbohave the same overheat ratio than 4 X200 (for the merged part) as they are the same size and the same distance to the center of mass. Those last ones are already quite keen to overheat fast, so adding a small tank is a good thing. I wont put more tank than 2 Jumbo or 4 X200 (unless I play around radial placement :P), and I won't change the CoM to keep it balance.

I take note for the Oscar and wings (I usually mix between demand and what I find common in the spacecraft exchange)

Something that should have been created long ago.

+rep and subscribed.

Thanks

I plan on using the decreased part count up again by using engine clustering under every stack instead of just the center stack, so no more mainsails!!

I am looking at a way to do the same with the engines. I know the parts can be separated and still be one so I won't need to add a tank. If you want feel free to send me engine cluster you use, and I will see what I can do. (I will need to have a look at the effect also, and will try to focus on pack with gimbal only or without any gimbal.

I love it!

Here's a suggestion: multiples of the Pegasus Mobility Enhancers. It's a pain adding those along the longer parts, and I dislike using the extendable ladders for that sort of thing! (Having said that, I'm not sure the "ladder" data in the .mu files will play nicely when used in model{ ... } sections.)

Thanks, and agree for the mobility enhancers. putting them may prevent to attach things radially, plus they are quite heavy and I like to keep the weight as if they were separate things. I'll still will play with that :)

are there any plans to make this an in-game tool? it would certainly change how i play and could help with the lag! if we were able to choose which parts were welded to each other

As of now, I do not have define plans for that. I do think of it. It would require me to get back to coding :)

The main block i have about it, is that the parts are not normalized, not all, the long 1.25m tanks for example are a pain to play with as it got strange scale apply to it, so it would require to create a database of all the modification and data for all the model. So far I am going to keep playing with modifying the .cfg, and when I feel comfortable, I will look at a in game plug in.

For now, feel free to send me a screen or .craft of what you ould like merged, and I will be happy to give it a try for you.

If you're capable of doing modelling, you could possibly change the models for your new parts a bit so that it looks less awkward than if you just stick them together. But this is a very nice and simple idea, and I'm not sure why no one else has tried it.

It would be a Great option that you (the player) could weld the sections on the game, to prevent metroneme like movements on the game

well struts do the job :). By making them as one object , it's like if I add struts to them and still not have the part count for any of that.

Also that movement have a tendance to come from ASAS, so it should get better as .21 come out.

If you're capable of doing modelling, you could possibly change the models for your new parts a bit so that it looks less awkward than if you just stick them together. But this is a very nice and simple idea, and I'm not sure why no one else has tried it.

thanks,

It's been several years since the last time I have played with a 3D application. The advantage of using squad model are:

- keep the game looking stock

- faster to get new parts as no designing is require

- smaller download file

- will work if squad change the design/texture of their parts (only require update for change of folder and size or the part).

I think this is possible only since .20, I know a few people does that and I had the idea from a livestream on ksptv. Also it does take time to test everything and play with all the numbers.

Is there a way to add that^? Squad, I am talking to you.

That would be easier than me trying to see how I can do that as a plugin. But let's leave them working on a sub assembly one first. Also it change the CoM as it won't move between tanks, That could be something they wouldn't like to do as It can become more 'cheaty' to make planes. Imaginee a plane where the CoM of the fuel does not move foreward and backward? Yes I have planned to do some liquid fuel tanks!

Awesome mod!

Wish list:

-Uber Mega Jumbo: 7x orange tank, 1 center and 6 surrounding

-Uber Mega Jumbo x2

-Uber Mega Jumbo stack separator.

Thanks,

- Uber Mega Jumbo: Possible if radially mount, I haven't yet tried to radially mount parts (need to calcul the position), Do you prefer to have something attached between (like hardpoint/cubic struts?)

- Uber Mega Jumbox2: radiially is doable but I won't put any tank longer than 2 jumbo/4X200 for over heating reasons.

- Uber Mega Jumbo stack separator: not sure what you are asking?! is it 7 stack separator align with the tanks? so you only place one instead of 7?

Edited by UbioZur

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.