Major Proton launch failure

Kryten

and no nuclear fuel to the rocket ever. Earlier variants of the Glanos satellites have RTGs to provide electricity, a reporter mistakenly assumed that those were loaded and started a rumour that massive nuclear fallout was resulting from the crash.
News agencies....So uninformed.

That's the one Dive just posted a few posts ago. This one does gives you a better view of the overall path it took than the news footage.

Indeed it is, now feel like an idiot. Replaced with another video from about the same distance, gives good shots of the cloud.

Partway through the video, once the camera trains back onto the vehichle, it appears that the payload has broken off in at least two peices. Could this due to aerodynamical stress? seems like that would take a lot of force. Does the payload eject in case of error?

Partway through the video, once the camera trains back onto the vehichle, it appears that the payload has broken off in at least two peices. Could this due to aerodynamical stress? seems like that would take a lot of force. Does the payload eject in case of error?
Aerodynamic stresses i guess.

Here is the video.

Anyways, this looks like the many launches I done in KSP. However, unlike KSP they should've had things that kept it from blowing up. Anyways, if anyone wants to read about this. Here is an article on it. http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2013-07/watch-russian-proton-m-rocket-explode-massive-fireball?src=SOC&dom=fb

Will you look at that orange cloud of nasty. That's the reason we don't like hypergolics, children. If we had something like this happening to, say, a Falcon, the nastiest thing lingering in the blast area would be CO2... a smoke cleaner than what comes out of your car.

I always get on Korolev's side on that argument, Glushko might have been a good engineer but he was dead wrong on this IMO.

Edit:

Got to love nuclear hysteria. Hundreds of tonnes of dinitrogen tetroxide just vapourised over a huge area, and the main panic was that some of the satellites might have contained a small RTG. :confused:

So +1 on that one, my thoughts exactly.

Rune. Who is getting the cleaning bill? Not the Kazakhs I guess.

Edited by Rune

It's a hell of a lot more than two.

01proton400243.jpg

The largest, white thing coming off is the Proton third stage. The other large fragment is the Blok-DM upper stage. The scattered bits are what used to be $200 million of glonass satellites.

Why didn't they hit the self destruct button once it veered off into the horizon?

Russians don't use self-destruct, they simply have the rocket engines cut out. This system's disabled for about a minute after launch to prevent it falling back to the launch site.

Edited by Kryten

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.