What's your favourite "old" game?

joppiesaus

Gradius III (SNES). Finished it many times already... on easy mode.

screenshots-gradius-3-snes.jpg

Fun fact:

The Konami Code was created by Kazuhisa Hashimoto, who was developing the home port of the 1985 arcade game Gradius, a scrolling shooter released on the NES in 1986. Finding the game too difficult to play through during testing, he created a cheat code to give the player a full set of power-ups (normally attained gradually throughout the game). [source: Wikipedia]

Also the Super Marioworld.

Edited by Flixxbeatz

Cant go with one.. SO MANY!!!

Will have to go with some that I still play!

Populous - 1989

The first 'God' game.. The spells and the way the game got harder by limiting your abilities and increasing the AI as it when makes it very replayable.

Being a God is not all fun and games, sometimes it just games.

Dune - 1992

An impressive game, with a very fitting soundtrack, not too step a learning curve, and well designed. Such a shame the attempt at bring it back to life killed Cryo

Dune II - 1992

The first build and defend a base whilst mining resources game, very addictive at the time.

Doom - 1993

The 1st person shoot to redefine 1st person shooters..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjoXZNexiIQ

Lands of Lore - 1993

A Complex world with Patrick Stewart as a voice over, how could you pass on this?

Oh, a difficult question. I don't know if I could pick one. I'll briefly explain a few of my favourites.

TES III: Morrowind. I only discovered this post-Oblivion. It's hard to say it's one of my favourites in terms of playing it, there are a lot of problems and limitations, though also many aspects better than subsequent games, but what I really love MW for the most is it's world. So much better than OB and SK, had such a strong sense of unique culture and lore, the cities were cities, it has such a great atmosphere, all those different designs and so on. Awesome.

Crash Bandicoot 1 and 3. 2 never got me for some reason, but 1 and 3 are absolute classics. Perfect simple but awesomely fun linear platforming.

Crash Team Racing. I still maintain this is the best kart game I've ever played, including all Mariokarts. Just the control of the things felt so visceral and cartoonishly exciting, Looney Tunes sort of style. In Mariokart I always feel like everything's made of foam and rubber floating on a plastic floor coated in oil.

Spyro. Particularly Spyro 2. It was my favourite game as a kid, and the series felt like a parallel to Crash Bandicoot in some ways, and that sort of carried over to Jak and Daxter and Ratchet and Clank on the next consoles, though I didn't play much of Jak and Daxter.

Simcoaster. Perhaps if I were older I might have preferred RC Tycoon, but for me, Simcoaster was the ultimate Theme park game. I loved the coaster building system and how you could do audience view for all the rides, plus walking around.

Jurrassic Park: Operation Genesis. Very sadly overlooked PS2/PC game. You MAKE YOUR OWN JURASSIC PARK! How is that not awesome? It was a Tycoon, like Simcoaster, and a great one. What I would give to see a sequel. I lived setting up Safari trips in the cages with the dinosaurs and crafting the island and everything. Plus it was fun when they got loose. It had well balanced, progressive gameplay that had you constantly expanding your park and optimising it for visitor appeal.

Hercules and Tarzan. Disney made some seriously good games for PS1.

Super Mario 64. I didn't have a 64, but this was so awesome, I played it whenever I was at somebody's house and they had it.

Rally Cross 2. Don't know how well it would hold up today. But this was a great fun racer when I was a kid and the first I'd seen where you could make your own tracks, so fun.

EDIT: Oh! Oh! Kula World. Such a good puzzle game. I couldn't remember the name of it for ages until one day it popped up on the PS3 Playstation Store.

Ive been gaming from about 1983-84, so i have a lot of fond memories regarding historical gaming. My faveroute eras, were the 16bit consoles (Mega drive and SNES), back then i was in my early teens and used to spend countless hours with my friends on games like Mario Kart, Streets of Rage and Road Rash. back then games were simpler, more fun and original. Game developers had more creativity amongst them.

I have recently got hold of a Mega Drive and a Snes, and must say, I wish i had'nt have bothered. Playing games that i have fond memories of from my youth today sort of ruins the memories for me, they havnt aged well at all. I know its not about the graphics. There is something else that i cant put my finger on which takes away the fun. Weather its the semi-broken state of the consoles i got, having to wiggle wires and turn on and off repeatedly to get to work, i dont know. I just know that i wont be doing it again.

Edited by Epic DaVinci

If i was to choose 1 game, It would have to be Battlefield 1942.

I played a Mod for this game called Desert Combat, which brought all weapons and vehicles up to date.

I joined a gaminig community called "Dontcamp" which have firm rules on gameplay styles, No Camping, name calling, ruiniing the game for others etc etc, I soon became a Moderator for the game and enjoyed many years being part of a thriving community, one which i have ment many friends from.

However, all this came at a price. I was that addicted to playing the game, it took up too much of my spare time, and i eventually lost my Fiance and House due to it. It was at that point where i had to step away from the keyboard and give myslef a few slaps. Luckily now, i have an understanding girlfriend, who keeps my gaming habits in check.

Thief 2:

Thief_2_1.jpg.jpg

Best. Game. Ever.

Graphics are a bit dated, and were even when it came out in 2000, but the gameplay, and the sounds, and the voice acting, and the artsy cutscenes before each mission were just...... wow.

It's hard to describe in just a few words what was good about the gameplay. Basically they knew they wanted and FPS about sneaking, which rewards stealth over button mashing, and makes the careful player do better than the twitchy player, and (this is very important) made your ability to sneak into a PLAYER skill not a character skill. Most modern games say that if your character has the right level of skill in sneaking the character sneaks successfully no matter how stupid the player is being at walking right through well lit areas (i.e. Skyrim style sneaking). But in the Thief series they did it *right*. They provided you with the tools for how to move the character around, how to carefully control the speed you move at with keyboard control tapping, which in turn controls how much noise you make. Then they made sure the lighting actually mattered - where the darkness of the place you stand affects how close guards have to be to see you. Then they made sure that having weapons drawn made you easier to see so you had to make the judgement call yourself whether it's better to be unarmed and sneaky or armed and visible. Then they made sure that you do very poorly if you try to fight more than one guard at a time - such that preventing someone from noticing you and raising the alarm and thus attracting other guards became more important than actually fighting him. And all of this depended on the player's skill so YOU felt like the thief and YOU felt the tension as you tried to gauge how fast to tiptoe across the well lit room to the safety of the other side before the guard comes back, balancing the need to be quick against the need to be quiet. One twitchy move too fast and suddenly you hear in the distance "Hey what was that?; and think "Yikes" and try to blend in as best you can before he comes looking for you... such a GREAT immersive game.

I'll add pictures later, but wing commander prophecy. I got it (second hand) my uncle when I was eight, and it was pretty much my baptising as a pc gamer. I would also carcasonne, which is an amazing board game and ultima 7

This thread is a wonderful trip down memory lane, i don't know if i should be ashamed or proud to say that many of my fondest memories are of games, or that i remember many times and events in my life because of a game i was playing at the time, I used to hear my dad's shouting through this music at 2AM telling me to go to bed, great days:

And as far as the oldest game i ever enjoyed, i feel cockily confident that none of you youngsters here will be old enough to have ever heard of Thanatos, i spent many happy hours on it. :)

Edited by Custard Donut (In Space)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.