Long Range Spaceplane Endurance Challenge - Can you beat my current record?

I see I will have to change my design a bit to beat your time. Challenge accepted Sir. :)

New plane is already airborne. Will take a bit of active piloting to beat the crazy 8 hours....

Edited by Alooohaaa

Between 2 to 3 intakes per engine will allow you a decent amount of headroom for high-altitude flight. I went up to 25.000 at half throttle with only 6 radial mounted intakes. Ram intakes are much more efficient for that purpose though.

You still have to remember to monitor fuel flow in the engine to see whether it's starting to fall causing a flame out and adjust throttle accordingly. This is even more important if you have more than 1 engine. Having only one jet, a flame-out doesn't induce any form or flat spin so you can literally go hell-for-leather and find the optimal setting once at altitude.

Wow, that is an IMPRESSIVE length of time to stay in the air haha.

Updated original post. Due to the addition of the 30km flight ceiling, Coneshot is now the leader for both distance and time.

Edited by KillerQueen

I'm going to enter the flight I did for the Circumnavigation thread...

On runway:

CT3rWyf.jpg

On runway again:

rfzNMZ4.png

That plane wasn't even build for a distance record... It was intended for a circumnavigation. Then the health and safety guy demanded that every manned craft build at KSC must be capable to make a return journey. Hence this craft can circumnavigate twice :P

Edited by the_bT

Alright guys, I made a run last night and destroyed the distance record. I stopped focusing for just a second and dipped above 30km but still well within the 500m buffer I gave everyone.

I'm going to do another run next week with a redesigned plane.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by KillerQueen

• 2 years later...

I know this challenge is really old but I just wanted to say that recently I flew a planes 35 thousand kilometers and 43 hours straight. It was 5 days and 1 hour in game time and it took me almost 3 full days IRL to do because lag made it take longer.

16 minutes ago, Gman_builder said:

I know this challenge is really old but

It's not too big of a problem, but if there is a related note you'd like to bring up, by all means leave a link to it in a brand-new topic about the challenge :)

Locking this old, old thread up.