[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

WRT interstage fairings, I am all in favor of seeing if they can be implemented. These are just a few ideas which might be helpful (I figure you've considered most of them though)

1. They need to work if building up the rocket as well as building down the rocket

2. They would ideally auto strut the non-parented side, such that the fairing itself will contribute to a stable ship

3. They might ideally come in variable symmetry, or at least a 4x and 2x

Updated to 1.1, now with conic side fairings option and (hopefully) better ejection.

I fixed a bug in FAR that prevented it from shielding the payload, and I'm going to contact Ferram about that.

So, you'll need a new version of FAR to use procedural fairings with it.

Under what files do I put everything. I cant get the parts to show up in the VAB

You should unzip it to GameData folder, just like everything else in 0.20. The parts are in Aero tab.

Updated to 1.1, now with conic side fairings option and (hopefully) better ejection.

I fixed a bug in FAR that prevented it from shielding the payload, and I'm going to contact Ferram about that.

That's awesome! Can't wait to use this, the only thing that was holding me back was not being compatible with FAR. Hopefully he'll have a compatible version up soon. :D

I love it!

One minor nit: the names for the fairing side shapes are a bit confusing. To me, "capsule-shaped" invokes images of space capsules like the Command Pod Mk1 or Mk1-2, which are cone-shaped. I think the proper term for what you're calling "capsule-shaped" is "ellipsoid", although most people would call it "egg-shaped".

Edited by Gaius

I love it!

One minor nit: the names for the fairing side shapes are a bit confusing. To me, "capsule-shaped" invokes images of space capsules like the Command Pod Mk1 or Mk1-2, which are cone-shaped. I think the proper term for what you're calling "capsule-shaped" is "ellipsoid", although most people would call it "egg-shaped".

English is not my native language. "Egg-shaped" sounds very Kerbal though, I guess I'll use it in the next update.

Hmm...

I'm not sure if this is even possible, but could you look into the possibility of having a set of fairings that deleted the contained parts until they were opened? (For lag reduction, mainly. This would allow many people to launch much more complex payloads.)

There's a whole bunch of challenges with this, though. You'd have to transfer any enclosed resources into the fairing part itself, as well as dealing with mass and center of mass. It also would potentially have issues with command pods / probes inside the fairings.

This is a great mod!

A couple things come to mind as feedback:

-Separation is still violent compared to KW for instance)

-It seems that the fairings decouple when they are next up (ie fairings are stage 4 and will decouple if stage 5 is active. This also happens if you move them to the second to last stage in flight).

-Have not collided with payload in my experience (1.1)

-All fairings expand at the bottom, if they need to or not.

Well, that does it. I have the fairing solution that I've always dreamed of! Fantastic work, e-dog! And thank you!

Any chance you'd consider posting the change you made to FAR, so those of us who are comfortable compiling from source can apply it and try it out?

(Haven't even looked at the FAR license terms, so if that's not okay with Ferram, I'll just hush.)

This is an amazing mod. I noticed your "to do" list, and I wonder if that includes making heat-resistant fairings sides, like the aeroshell on the cancelled Constellation Kepler and Asimov landers?

About 6:00 minutes in.

Anyway, this mod really cleans up the parts list, and it works wonderfully so far.

This is an amazing mod. I noticed your "to do" list, and I wonder if that includes making heat-resistant fairings sides, like the aeroshell on the cancelled Constellation Kepler and Asimov landers?

I have no idea how to do heatshields yet, but it might be an option. Those engine holes are too custom for general-purpose fairings though.

For future adapters / interstage shroud that may come later, i hope that we can:

use some key to manually adjust diameters of upper/lower sides and height. and some hot-key to make diameter of lower side same as the upper side (also another hot key to do it in reverse). I guess it will be simpler (and more flexible) than automatically analyze the diameter of upper/lower stages by checking their bounding-boxes (which is also quite a lot of computation)

For future adapters / interstage shroud that may come later, i hope that we can:

use some key to manually adjust diameters of upper/lower sides and height. and some hot-key to make diameter of lower side same as the upper side (also another hot key to do it in reverse). I guess it will be simpler (and more flexible) than automatically analyze the diameter of upper/lower stages by checking their bounding-boxes (which is also quite a lot of computation)

It already does some kind of computation based on the colliders so I don't think that'll be too bad. One thing that would be nice is a shortcut for altering the extra room around the payload. I gather there is a parameter for the tolerance, could we hold down a key and move the mouse to reduce this like alteringa p-wing?

You should let us to select (button or two) to pick a type of fairing we want to use

FdAUIO6.png

Made with uberskill in mspaint

i second this

that and if you could add more color to it. other than that I like it

(ps i got it installed)