[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

2 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

@evileye.x I think that the following MM patch will do what you are looking for:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[KzNodeNumberTweaker]]:NEEDS[ProceduralFairings]
{
    @MODULE[KzNodeNumberTweaker]
    {
        %showInterstageNodes = False
    }
}

Make sure that you use a valid MM pass (FINAL will do for personal patches).

Thank you very much, I'll definitely try it. Is there way to MM patch ejection torque?

Edited by evileye.x

@evileye.x Yep:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ProceduralFairingDecoupler]]:NEEDS[ProceduralFairings]
{
    @MODULE[ProceduralFairingDecoupler]
    {
        %ejectionPower = 0.35
        %torqueAmount = 0.05
    }
}

You can also specify the default ejection force. If you don't want that then delete the "ejectionPower" line.

Edited by Phineas Freak

For the life of me, I can't make blackheart's612 textures and this mod working together.

It says here that I need PFairings for those textures to work, but I don't know where to put them . I've tried placing the folder inside Pfarings mod and outside of it (in blackhearts folder), neither works.

Also - MainSailors fairing textures also doesn't work (yet tanks textures work just fine.)

I've only managed to get these working (https://spacedock.info/mod/762/Procedural Fairings Retexture), just by placing the folder in GameData.

Help?

On 22.1.2017 at 0:12 PM, Phineas Freak said:

Yep, new bug probably from the KSP 1.2 update. Pinging @KortexM, @e-dog.

Any steps to reproduce this? r does it happen sporadic?

19 hours ago, Barcel said:

For the life of me, I can't make blackheart's612 textures and this mod working together.

It says here that I need PFairings for those textures to work, but I don't know where to put them . I've tried placing the folder inside Pfarings mod and outside of it (in blackhearts folder), neither works.

Also - MainSailors fairing textures also doesn't work (yet tanks textures work just fine.)

I've only managed to get these working (https://spacedock.info/mod/762/Procedural Fairings Retexture), just by placing the folder in GameData.

Help?

You should copy the whole "blackheart\ProceduralFairings\KW" folder from zip into GameData dir; the path looks then sth like this: "KerbalSpaceProgram\GameData\blackheart\ProceduralFairings\KW".
The fairing can then be found under "Aero"-parts.

About stability issues (sides falling off etc.):

• Added some more internal strutting/more joints 
  • Minor fixes

There is still some log file spamming and i think some test options in dialogs left from testing.
Download PF 3.20b4 test build here (copy ProceduralFairings folder from zip into GameData, you should already have the latest release installed),
direct Dropbox download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ptj3yrsgwepamg7/ProceduralFairings-3.20b4-testingonly.zip?dl=1

If all is well i am going to make a next official release soon. Any other big issues left that need fixing?

@KortexM I was using blackhearts textures in 1.2.2 with the latest PF and none of them were working, they wouldn't let me attach the fairing sides to the PF fairing base. I checked the part cfg files against the ones that come with PF to see if anything had changed since blackheart had last updated them and nothing poped out at me.

The basic PF fairing sides work just fine, just not blackhearts, any ideas what might be wrong?

Ah i see - i checked only the first link from blackhearts thread and it worked. Yes, strangely It does not work when all other fairings are installed.
And i remember i had all of them integrated in my own copy of PFforEverything here some time ago (PFfE has some of bh's textures already integrated anyway). 

Here is my package right from my GameData folder (unzip into GameData): https://www.dropbox.com/s/tp91r2owo4yxkxx/ProceduralFairings-ForEverything_KortexM.zip?dl=1

2 hours ago, Akira_R said:

@KortexM I was using blackhearts textures in 1.2.2 with the latest PF and none of them were working, they wouldn't let me attach the fairing sides to the PF fairing base. I checked the part cfg files against the ones that come with PF to see if anything had changed since blackheart had last updated them and nothing poped out at me.

The basic PF fairing sides work just fine, just not blackhearts, any ideas what might be wrong?

Try rotating the blackheart fairing sides upside down, that allowed me to attach them. 

On 1/16/2017 at 10:21 AM, Phineas Freak said:

@dave1904 these are extra attachment nodes like the ones found in the stock fairing bases. Right click on the PF base and you will find an option to enable or disable them.

I know that, I would love to know what people use them for. I use them if I send 2 probes 

The decouple when fairing is gone does not work for me with the interstage fairings, I used to disable the fairing base in editor so I had less staging icons and the fairing walls did the job 

2 hours ago, dave1904 said:

I know that, I would love to know what people use them for. I use them if I send 2 probes

I use them to give a bit more spacing between the payload and the fairing base, especially if the payload is slightly larger than the base I'm putting it on.  (Probes with lots of radial attachments, for instance.)

@KortexM Some reproduction steps that worked every time:

• Starting a fresh KSP instance
  • Entering the VAB
  • Making a craft that uses a PF base (interstage or payload)
  • Commiting it into flight
  • Reverting to the VAB

At this point if you try to modify the shape of the fairing it will not work. Even if you open a different craft file and try to change the shape it won't let you do so. No exceptions are logged either.

Granted, my own tests are done with a large amount of RSS mods and @FiiZzioN may use some common mods that can expose this PF bug.

Two more bugs/issues that i came across while testing/playing:

• The compatibility with the PP parts does not work as expected (or work at all) even after replacing the PF bases with new. This occurs with the latest unofficial PF release (3.20b2).
  • Having the auto-strut feature enabled does not play well with KJR (the fairing sides, be either structural of payload, break off when KSP loads the physics in the launch pad). This occurs with the latest official PF release (3.20).

@Phineas Freak The show state (guiActiveEditor) of the maxsize/cylstart/cylend options is the directly inverted value of the autoshape button. What i need to know: is the visibility of those options just "inverted" (in relation of the checked/unchecked autoshape button)? Or are they invisible the whole time at all?

The PP issue: can you confirm that it works for  the payload fairings but is not working for the interstage base? That is what i see here, i might have missed some things about the interstage base thing..

Stability/Strut stuff: have you checked out my test build (some posts above) ?

Hi,

before everything I send big thanks to the developers. While ago I noticed that PF doesn't like Ven's stock revamp mode => http://imgur.com/a/cYyIE. The most of the interstage engines makes this weird rounded offset. Stock's fine. I asked the people maintaining this mod and they told me it may be rather PF issue. I wonder on which side the problem actually is or if anyone came up with some kind of workaround solution like small settings/config change etc.   

Edited by Adik3714

@Adik3714 PF checks for the part collider when it creates the fairing shape. If that collider is not exactly shaped as the parent model then you will get funny results. VSR uses large colliders for the fake "tankbutts" (probably) and PF does not like that.

Disabling the automatic shape and manually editing the fairing properties will to the job.

NIce mod! How to make it to support bigger than 50m fairings? I need it for my 760000t rocket project. =)

p.s.

And yeah, what to do if payload is crashing on launch pad? (Interstellar Extended engines.) Mini-FAQ please.

Edited by spec111

On 1/22/2017 at 2:48 AM, FiiZzioN said:

Does anyone else have the issue of the fairing shape controls not showing when disabling the "fairing autoshape" in the VAB or SPH?

Yes.  This happens to me most of the time.  I thought it started before I upgraded to 1.2, but maybe it was after.  When it happens, the blue shape outline thing also doesn't show up.

I've been using the Interstage Fairing Adapter instead, as it provides other tweakables (Base, Top, Height, Extra Height) which don't break and can often accomplish the job.

I also was able to fix the issue at least once by grabbing my whole ship, moving it over, then hitting Ctrl+Z.  The Undo action made the base ring work properly again for a while (even after a KSP reboot?!).  But it doesn't always fix it.  Sometimes it causes the missing tweakables to get stuck shown instead, and they don't actually do anything.

I'm going to try the build by @KortexM.  Any chance on mainlining his fixes?

For what it's worth, here's a screenshot:

dobUfnk.png

Edited by Fwiffo
Clarified earlier assumptions, added screenshot

I don't know if its a PP problem or PF so I posted this in both threads incase! But seems that past a certain number of PP or PF wonky stuff happens such as this.

2jel5.png

Do you guys also get this? I tried in Career and Sandbox.

2 hours ago, Dermeister said:

I don't know if its a PP problem or PF so I posted this in both threads incase! But seems that past a certain number of PP or PF wonky stuff happens such as this.

2jel5.png

Do you guys also get this? I tried in Career and Sandbox.

It's a procedural parts thing. I have noticed it more when alt+clicking a copy of a PP part. And also when knowingly installing a PP part upside down.

(Please don't make me say PP part ever again..... :wink:)

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 3:11 PM, V8jester said:

It's a procedural parts thing. I have noticed it more when alt+clicking a copy of a PP part. And also when knowingly installing a PP part upside down.

(Please don't make me say PP part ever again..... :wink:)

LOL PP part?  :P! and I figured hope it gets fixed soon :(

Can someone please for the love of god create a Apollo style interstage example video using the latest version of the interstage adapter?    PLEASE I am losing my mind trying to figure this out!  It used to work just fine with the old version but this new version is completely incomprehensible to me.

I prefer the old version of this where we had the letter keys.  For the life of me I cannot figure out how to use this new version and it's ticking me off!!!!!

1. decouple when fairing gone DOES NOTHING!!!!!

2. When I pick decouple by clicking on the docking port node and selecting decouple from node the lem just floats away and the command module is still magically connected to the bottom stage!!!!

3. you cannot adjust the eight of the upper attach node.  The engine bell is either stuck right on the top of the docking port or way to high above it!

4. decouple top node does nothing!  I see a decouple affect at the base of the interstage ring but nothing decouples

5. and I cannot stress this enough so I am going to repeat it here!!!  How decouple works is a fricking mystery in this version!!!!!  why the hell does decoupling from the docking port release the lem from the core stage and the upper stage so it floats out into space */while the service and command module stay magically attached to the core stage separated by empty space???

I have sat here and launched 15 damn times now and no matter what nob I twist or button I press or slider I tug on I cannot get the damn thing to work the way it should!!!!

THIS IS WHAT I WANT TO HAPPEN...

1. when the fairing separate the service module should decouple and float free

2. the lem should stay attached to the core stage

3. I should then be able to turn the main ship and dock the command module with the lem

4. NOW I should be able to decouple the damn lem from the core stage and pull it free with the rcs on the main ship!

Why is this so damn hard to do now????  With the old version it all worked perfectly this new simplified thing is crap!  It is supposed to be simplified but it fact it is way harder to figure out then the old version when you pressed a letter key and had infinite resolution on how much you could adjust things!  This is just unusable!  Things have to be attached in some magic UN-FECKING-DOCUMENTED way and we are suppose to spend hours and hours randomly twisting nobs and puching buttons to try and guess how to do it???

http://imgur.com/a/T14EL

Edited by ctbram

9 hours ago, ctbram said:

Can someone please for the love of god create a Apollo style interstage example video using the latest version of the interstage adapter?    PLEASE I am losing my mind trying to figure this out!  It used to work just fine with the old version but this new version is completely incomprehensible to me.

I prefer the old version of this where we had the letter keys.  For the life of me I cannot figure out how to use this new version and it's ticking me off!!!!!

1. decouple when fairing gone DOES NOTHING!!!!!

2. When I pick decouple by clicking on the docking port node and selecting decouple from node the lem just floats away and the command module is still magically connected to the bottom stage!!!!

3. you cannot adjust the eight of the upper attach node.  The engine bell is either stuck right on the top of the docking port or way to high above it!

4. decouple top node does nothing!  I see a decouple affect at the base of the interstage ring but nothing decouples

5. and I cannot stress this enough so I am going to repeat it here!!!  How decouple works is a fricking mystery in this version!!!!!  why the hell does decoupling from the docking port release the lem from the core stage and the upper stage so it floats out into space */while the service and command module stay magically attached to the core stage separated by empty space???

I have sat here and launched 15 damn times now and no matter what nob I twist or button I press or slider I tug on I cannot get the damn thing to work the way it should!!!!

THIS IS WHAT I WANT TO HAPPEN...

1. when the fairing separate the service module should decouple and float free

2. the lem should stay attached to the core stage

3. I should then be able to turn the main ship and dock the command module with the lem

4. NOW I should be able to decouple the damn lem from the core stage and pull it free with the rcs on the main ship!

Why is this so damn hard to do now????  With the old version it all worked perfectly this new simplified thing is crap!  It is supposed to be simplified but it fact it is way harder to figure out then the old version when you pressed a letter key and had infinite resolution on how much you could adjust things!  This is just unusable!  Things have to be attached in some magic UN-FECKING-DOCUMENTED way and we are suppose to spend hours and hours randomly twisting nobs and puching buttons to try and guess how to do it???

http://imgur.com/a/T14EL

Okay I sorted most of it out.  

1. attach the interstage ring node to the upper ship (command module and service module engine bell)

2. turn off the interstage ring node display

3. attach a decoupler to the inside top of the interstage ring

4. attach the lem sub-assembly to the decoupler

To extract the lem

1. decouple the fairings through staging

2. right click the interstage ring and select decouple upper node and that releases the command ship

(I would still prefer if this happened automatically when the fairing sides decouple and I thought that is exactly what the checkbox to "decouple when fairing release" box should have done but it does nothing.  I get the same result whether I have it toggled yes or no.)

3. rcs thrust away a bit and rotate to anti-normal (I should have mentioned before starting the extraction manuever I turn the entire ship normal)

4. Thrust forward using rcs translation to line up and dock with the lem

5. once docked decouple the lem from the core stage decoupler on top of the interstage fairing

6. de-orbit the core stage for this I have a probe core, antenna, sas module, and sufficient battery to complete the retrograde orientation and de-orbit burn

So once I recalled that the lem had to be attached to a decoupler which was in turn attached to the interstage ring everything fell into place.  Although I am still scratching my head as to why I have to manually decouple to the upper node by right clicking the interstage ring and selecting the option.  I would prefer that is decouple as soon as the fairings are jettisoned.  Perhaps this is a conflict with another mod but it can live with manually doing it.

Edited by ctbram