e-dog

[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

3590 posts in this topic

Can someone please for the love of god create a Apollo style interstage example video using the latest version of the interstage adapter?    PLEASE I am losing my mind trying to figure this out!  It used to work just fine with the old version but this new version is completely incomprehensible to me.

I prefer the old version of this where we had the letter keys.  For the life of me I cannot figure out how to use this new version and it's ticking me off!!!!!

1. decouple when fairing gone DOES NOTHING!!!!!

2. When I pick decouple by clicking on the docking port node and selecting decouple from node the lem just floats away and the command module is still magically connected to the bottom stage!!!!

3. you cannot adjust the eight of the upper attach node.  The engine bell is either stuck right on the top of the docking port or way to high above it!

4. decouple top node does nothing!  I see a decouple affect at the base of the interstage ring but nothing decouples

5. and I cannot stress this enough so I am going to repeat it here!!!  How decouple works is a fricking mystery in this version!!!!!  why the hell does decoupling from the docking port release the lem from the core stage and the upper stage so it floats out into space */while the service and command module stay magically attached to the core stage separated by empty space???

I have sat here and launched 15 damn times now and no matter what nob I twist or button I press or slider I tug on I cannot get the damn thing to work the way it should!!!!

THIS IS WHAT I WANT TO HAPPEN...

1. when the fairing separate the service module should decouple and float free

2. the lem should stay attached to the core stage

3. I should then be able to turn the main ship and dock the command module with the lem

4. NOW I should be able to decouple the damn lem from the core stage and pull it free with the rcs on the main ship!

Why is this so damn hard to do now????  With the old version it all worked perfectly this new simplified thing is crap!  It is supposed to be simplified but it fact it is way harder to figure out then the old version when you pressed a letter key and had infinite resolution on how much you could adjust things!  This is just unusable!  Things have to be attached in some magic UN-FECKING-DOCUMENTED way and we are suppose to spend hours and hours randomly twisting nobs and puching buttons to try and guess how to do it???

http://imgur.com/a/T14EL

Edited by ctbram
1 person likes this

9 hours ago, ctbram said:

Can someone please for the love of god create a Apollo style interstage example video using the latest version of the interstage adapter?    PLEASE I am losing my mind trying to figure this out!  It used to work just fine with the old version but this new version is completely incomprehensible to me.

I prefer the old version of this where we had the letter keys.  For the life of me I cannot figure out how to use this new version and it's ticking me off!!!!!

1. decouple when fairing gone DOES NOTHING!!!!!

2. When I pick decouple by clicking on the docking port node and selecting decouple from node the lem just floats away and the command module is still magically connected to the bottom stage!!!!

3. you cannot adjust the eight of the upper attach node.  The engine bell is either stuck right on the top of the docking port or way to high above it!

4. decouple top node does nothing!  I see a decouple affect at the base of the interstage ring but nothing decouples

5. and I cannot stress this enough so I am going to repeat it here!!!  How decouple works is a fricking mystery in this version!!!!!  why the hell does decoupling from the docking port release the lem from the core stage and the upper stage so it floats out into space */while the service and command module stay magically attached to the core stage separated by empty space???

I have sat here and launched 15 damn times now and no matter what nob I twist or button I press or slider I tug on I cannot get the damn thing to work the way it should!!!!

THIS IS WHAT I WANT TO HAPPEN...

1. when the fairing separate the service module should decouple and float free

2. the lem should stay attached to the core stage

3. I should then be able to turn the main ship and dock the command module with the lem

4. NOW I should be able to decouple the damn lem from the core stage and pull it free with the rcs on the main ship!

Why is this so damn hard to do now????  With the old version it all worked perfectly this new simplified thing is crap!  It is supposed to be simplified but it fact it is way harder to figure out then the old version when you pressed a letter key and had infinite resolution on how much you could adjust things!  This is just unusable!  Things have to be attached in some magic UN-FECKING-DOCUMENTED way and we are suppose to spend hours and hours randomly twisting nobs and puching buttons to try and guess how to do it???

http://imgur.com/a/T14EL

Okay I sorted most of it out.  

1. attach the interstage ring node to the upper ship (command module and service module engine bell)

2. turn off the interstage ring node display

3. attach a decoupler to the inside top of the interstage ring

4. attach the lem sub-assembly to the decoupler

To extract the lem

1. decouple the fairings through staging

2. right click the interstage ring and select decouple upper node and that releases the command ship

(I would still prefer if this happened automatically when the fairing sides decouple and I thought that is exactly what the checkbox to "decouple when fairing release" box should have done but it does nothing.  I get the same result whether I have it toggled yes or no.)

3. rcs thrust away a bit and rotate to anti-normal (I should have mentioned before starting the extraction manuever I turn the entire ship normal)

4. Thrust forward using rcs translation to line up and dock with the lem

5. once docked decouple the lem from the core stage decoupler on top of the interstage fairing

6. de-orbit the core stage for this I have a probe core, antenna, sas module, and sufficient battery to complete the retrograde orientation and de-orbit burn

So once I recalled that the lem had to be attached to a decoupler which was in turn attached to the interstage ring everything fell into place.  Although I am still scratching my head as to why I have to manually decouple to the upper node by right clicking the interstage ring and selecting the option.  I would prefer that is decouple as soon as the fairings are jettisoned.  Perhaps this is a conflict with another mod but it can live with manually doing it.

Edited by ctbram

Hi all. I'm running the RO pre-release with only a couple of necessary mods and procedural parts and procedural fairings. I have a big problem with these fairings though.

Whenever I go to launch pad from VAB and the spacecraft loads or whenever I take off with the fairings on, my screen shakes as if it is going through a lot of g-force and then the fairings fall apart. There is no reason at all they should fall off unless I want them too. Also this has happened with multiple rockets. Anyway, has anyone else experienced something similar? Do I need to post screenshots?

Thanks.

Fire

@Firemetal There is a small bug with the PF autostruts and KJR. We have implemented a fix but it is not a part of the RO preview release. Download the "RO_PFairings.cfg" file from the repo and replace your local one.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

@Firemetal There is a small bug with the PF autostruts and KJR. We have implemented a fix but it is not a part of the RO preview release. Download the "RO_PFairings.cfg" file from the repo and replace your local one.

Alright thanks!

Alright, I couldn't find a download button anywhere so I copy and pasted the entire thing into my current file. Will that work or is there a way to download it, it was probably right in front of me, and I'm missing it?

Fire

Edited by Firemetal

52 minutes ago, Firemetal said:

Alright thanks!

Alright, I couldn't find a download button anywhere so I copy and pasted the entire thing into my current file. Will that work or is there a way to download it, it was probably right in front of me, and I'm missing it?

Fire

That should work.

Easiest way for a single file is to hit the 'RAW' button, and then use 'Save Page' in your browser.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

On 1/28/2017 at 3:43 PM, KortexM said:

If all is well i am going to make a next official release soon. Any other big issues left that need fixing?

@KortexM any update on making an official release?  Do you have a github page where we could track what you're doing?  I tried opening up an issue on @e-dog's repo, but he pointed me to you.

Edit: I also found out that technically it's against the rules of this forum to post mods (or updates to mods in this case), without making the source available.  Because of this, I think it's best if you make a fork on github of the OP's mod with your changes there, and I would also suggest submitting a PR to his codebase.  I'd be happy to help with that if you need it! 

Edited by rsparkyc

Hi ! :) 

first I want to thanks the dev(s) for this mods, i've been using it in every ksp version i had :) 

I got an issue with the textures in my 1.2.2 install, i don't know if i'm in the right place to ask for that but..

I have blackheart textures and mainsailor i think, and the fairings turns black on the launchpad, sometimes the side where the sun is, is black and the other side which should be in the shadow is bright.. are these textures pack the problem ? 

thanks a lot ! 

Help.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=898101274

I'm trying to do an interstage with an upper stage of 4 aerospikes on the 4-way adapter. I think I built it the intended way (I put the fairing base upside-down?) but the engines fall off inside the fairing as soon as it loads. Weird thing is, if I leave off the fairing sides, it works as I imagined it:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=898101360

Craft files if anybody cares:

Are you guys familiar with Procedural parts? I just thought it would be awesome to have a option menu when you right click on the fairing to change the fairing textures to match the procedural parts textures. IS there a mod that would allow me to do that? Or is there plans to add this function?

31 minutes ago, Dermeister said:

Are you guys familiar with Procedural parts? I just thought it would be awesome to have a option menu when you right click on the fairing to change the fairing textures to match the procedural parts textures. IS there a mod that would allow me to do that? Or is there plans to add this function?

The creator of this mod has been inactive since 2016, the mod in current state has some issues unfixed. I do not think this feature will be implemented soon. Sorry:(

Still, feel free to look for some textures online. Better still, implement it yourself if you know how to code!

Sadly I do not.

4 hours ago, Dermeister said:

IS there a mod that would allow me to do that?

Check if this suits your needs:

Are there any texture packs that work for 1.2?

How to increase the maximum size of the fairing? 50 meters a little

I'm playing with RO