life on laythe

jbaltus123

i know there is life on laythe but where are the aliens? the gras?

is this a idea for 0.22 or other updates?

(0.22 PLEASE CLOUDS!)

i learn this from a air intake: if there is no air there is n oxygen if there is air there is oxygen!

try to launch a rocket to laythe (needs a intake) then you can see it is real!

PLEASE ITS REAL THIS IS NOT FAKE!:huh:

There might be something in the water, if that is water...

Given the temperature, the water has a high concentration of something. According to a lot of people, it could be ammonia, or extremely high quantities of salt. Maybe a basic form of cyanobactries could survive there, but it's nothing much to see in the game. That could be a source of oxygen. The other source could be the volcanic activity that will be added to Laythe once it gets relevant to have it in the game.

There's no complex life forms on Laythe, this is sure. It's probably in the radiation belt of Jool and oxygen doesn't always equal life. Aliens won't ever be in the game, that was said multiple times too.

Provide evidence plz

Everywhere water exists on Earth, there is life. No other liquid H2O has been detected in the universe.

Thus, water=100% chance of life.

As does molecular oxygen in the atmosphere.

Provide evidence plz

Everywhere water exists on Earth, there is life. No other liquid H2O has been detected in the universe.

Thus, water=100% chance of life.

As does molecular oxygen in the atmosphere.

I think the developers word is good enough.

And who said that was water? As far as we know, it could be any liquid compound. And yes, liquid water has been found in the universe, it is proven that water once flowed on Mars, at least for a short period.

And no, water doesn't give a 100% chance of life. Water is the base solvant, without organic compounds, even with an ocean of water there won't be life.

Oxygen found in the very tenuous atmospheres of, for example, the Jovian moons, comes from the photodissociation of water molecules. The hydrogen atoms escape very quickly...the oxygen atoms take longer to escape. But these are very tenuous atmospheres (Europa's atmosphere has one trillionth the surface pressure of Earth's atmosphere).

But to have a dense atmosphere with a sizable percentage of oxygen (as Laythe obvious does, since jet engines work there) would be very difficult to explain without that moon having photosynthetic life in its oceans.

Oxygen found in the very tenuous atmospheres of, for example, the Jovian moons, comes from the photodissociation of water molecules. The hydrogen atoms escape very quickly...the oxygen atoms take longer to escape. But these are very tenuous atmospheres (Europa's atmosphere has one trillionth the surface pressure of Earth's atmosphere).

But to have a dense atmosphere with a sizable percentage of oxygen (as Laythe obvious does, since jet engines work there) would be very difficult to explain without that moon having photosynthetic life in its oceans.

Volcanic activity on Laythe could produce oxide gases, which could break up in the upper atmosphere and leave vast quantities of O2 lying around

Edited by stupid_chris

It's been suggested by the devs on a regular basis that in a future update Laythe's currently tropical shores will be spoiled to some degree by volcanic activity.

They also have said that it is too close to Jool, and would indeed be bathed in serious levels of radiation.

Although it may be possible for life to exist in those oceans, just because there is water does not guarantee that it will have life in it.

We just haven't found good examples of liquid surface water other than those on our own planet, and being the only example of liquid water means that we don't have enough samples to confirm that liquid water will always have life in it.

In any case, the devs have repeatedly stated that there will not be alien life forms anytime in the near future other than possibly vegetation and/or surface cities on Kerbin. Neither of these two are planned in the immeadiate future, the focus right now is on game features related to building craft and flying them.

Edited by OdinYggd

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/36863-What-not-to-suggest

What more evidence do you need beyond the clear statements of those who built the universe?

Depends on what they mean by "aliens". Little blue men in their own flying rocketships will obviously not be in the game. But some kind of simpler extrakerbinal life forms here and there would be easier to implement, as well as an interesting addition to the game if and when it gets some more science-y content.

With stuff like the Blood Falls at Taylor Glacier, active microbes being studied inside glacial ice by the WISSARD project and other microbial communities such as that at Lake Vostok, and the kind of things being studied around various hydrothermal deep sea vents, I don't really find the notion of extra-planetary life that much of a leap.

It might however, be outside our present understanding of life when we first encounter it

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/36863-What-not-to-suggest

What more evidence do you need beyond the clear statements of those who built the universe?

It was more in responce to others who suggested liquid water didn't suggest life in this universe. I pointed out that everywhere where we find liquid water we also find life. While H2O is not uncommon, the liquid form has only been found on Earth. Evidence suggests that it may have once existed on Mars, and there is a chance that it exists below the surface of other moons, but so far, it has not been found elsewhere.

I postulate that water will contain life when we find it on other worlds. Hence my reasoning behind Laythe having life, which would also explain the oxygen in the atmosphere (which no other viable mechanism besides photosynthesis could create such an atmosphere) I'm well aware that the Devs said no aliens, but I think that means we won't fly to a planet and find animals walking about or whatever. Microbial life could exist in the seas of Laythe and be otherwise insignificant to the gameplay other than an explanation for the oxygen found there.

Of course, once resources get added into the game, who knows whether it will still be called oxygen, or whether the blue stuff is even water.

It was more in responce to others who suggested liquid water didn't suggest life in this universe. I pointed out that everywhere where we find liquid water we also find life. While H2O is not uncommon, the liquid form has only been found on Earth. Evidence suggests that it may have once existed on Mars, and there is a chance that it exists below the surface of other moons, but so far, it has not been found elsewhere.

I postulate that water will contain life when we find it on other worlds. Hence my reasoning behind Laythe having life, which would also explain the oxygen in the atmosphere (which no other viable mechanism besides photosynthesis could create such an atmosphere) I'm well aware that the Devs said no aliens, but I think that means we won't fly to a planet and find animals walking about or whatever. Microbial life could exist in the seas of Laythe and be otherwise insignificant to the gameplay other than an explanation for the oxygen found there.

Of course, once resources get added into the game, who knows whether it will still be called oxygen, or whether the blue stuff is even water.

Water is only a component to life. It's like when building a machine, the water is the oil that lubricates the gears. But is it because you find engine oil that you found a machine?

I think there's more than a chance, We've got good evidience of water under the icy of Europa, and Enceladus

Water is only a component to life. It's like when building a machine, the water is the oil that lubricates the gears. But is it because you find engine oil that you found a machine?

Yes, but it does make it more likely just that everywhere we see water we've seen life. But I will agree that water doesn't garentee life, now free oxygen? Unless you have EXTREME conditions it means life. Oxygen is far too reactive to just wait, it will bond with anything it can find. The only way you find a world with free oxygen is if it's being replenished. Volcano's are not doing that, radiation can but not as much as life.

Edited by Moon Goddess

Oh god I shouldn't have just watched Europa Report before seeing this post.

Wait, that movie is out already? But, no advertisements yet! How long have I been living under a rock for? I am dying to see it!

Wait, that movie is out already? But, no advertisements yet! How long have I been living under a rock for? I am dying to see it!

I didn't know it was out either. I want.

Not surprised about teh ads though, it's an indie movie isn't it?

Volcanic activity on Laythe could produce oxide gases, which could break up in the upper atmosphere and leave vast quantities of O2 lying around

Nah. Volcanoes primarily emit water vapor, carbon dioxide, and smaller amounts of sulfur dioxide and even smaller amounts of other gases. Laythe won't keep water vapor in its atmosphere as a gas (it will condense out into the oceans). You will get a small amount of oxygen from the photodissociation of a little water vapor, but not as much as you find on Laythe (all but a small fraction...maybe 2%...of Earth's oxygen comes from photosynthesis). Neither carbon dioxide or sulfur dioxide are going to provide you with much free oxygen.