Would you cheat death?

brooksy125

In the future I assume that humans will finally defeat our ultimate enemy, death itself by storing our consciousness on computers.

My question for you is would you save yourself or face the end?

I personally would save my consciousness on a machine if I had guarantees thatit is truly me on the machine not just a perfect copy.

someone has been playing too much contra.

i wouldnt do it. i view life as an iterative process. a fractal structure that splits off in several ways. some branch out and grow, others fizzle out and die. but if it stops iterating then the fractal stagnates. infinite possibilities are reduced to a few. i suppose you could live forever and then watch the slow death of the universe. but what would be the point. of course this is more philosophical and not very scientific.

Edited by Nuke

I don't think so. Unless I'm taking part of a big project whatever and want to see the end of it, once I've lived my life that's enough. I can easily see being stored as a consciousness becoming boring and old really fast. Even with the possibility of "ending" your consciousness, I don't want to terminate my life by a mental suicide.

Absolutely, without hesitation. Surprised someone said no tbh! 'I'd rather die than live forever' doesn't really make sense to me, but whatever floats your boat I guess.

I'd like to be in a functional robot or cyborg body too, that would be agreeable.

I would, Even if it lasted forever. There's something like curiosity that would make watching the universe go by and end magical. I'm sure we could even transfer into ACTUAL bodies by using some combo of cloning cryogenics and electric pulses to make you good as new.

Absolutely, without hesitation. Surprised someone said no tbh! 'I'd rather die than live forever' doesn't really make sense to me, but whatever floats your boat I guess.

I'd like to be in a functional robot or cyborg body too, that would be agreeable.

I'm fine with death. I mean, once I've done what I had to do here, not that I don't see any reason to stay, but I don't mind going. Death doesn't sound like pain to me, more like rest.

Idk, I'm not a weird wacko that believes in weird stuff or nothing, and I'm not religious either I just... idk? Maybe I'm just older in my head than I'm supposed to be idk.

I don't believe I'll personally ever see this happening.

If it were to happen, it'd depend on HOW I were to die. If I'd still be young, not wanting to die? Probably. If I'd be old and broken, happy with my life, ect? I'd probably be ready to die.

And ofcourse if I'd develop alzheimer, that it'd be kinda a moot point, as there is probably not enough to 'download'

I'm fine with death. I mean, once I've done what I had to do here, not that I don't see any reason to stay, but I don't mind going. Death doesn't sound like pain to me, more like rest.

Idk, I'm not a weird wacko that believes in weird stuff or nothing, and I'm not religious either I just... idk? Maybe I'm just older in my head than I'm supposed to be idk.

I respect that, I guess I'm viewing death more as all the great stuff in life being taken away, so it's something I'm a bit scared of.

We'd have to sterilize ourselves first. If we lived forever, this place would get crowded pretty quick... On the other hand, interstellar travel would be no big deal if you could live forever. There would be no need for FTL if time doesn't matter any more. You could just switch your conscience off during the boring parts of the journey.

Oh, and if you could get uploaded into a computer, why stop at living one life? You could have unlimited clones of yourself and conquer the galaxy...

In my opinion, that is pretty much where Humanity is heading. Unless we destroy ourselves first, I don't see how anything could stop that from happening.

I would, not because I fear dying, but because I want to see how all of this turns out, the future.

Same. There is just so much that I want to know. I suppose the biggest of those will be answered within my lifetime (whether we survive as a species, past 2100 we should be fine), but what after that? Where is the nearest star system with life? Where is the nearest extraterrestrial civilization? What are they like? How similar are they to us historically, evolutionarily, biologically? And what about our species? Will humanity ever become a significant power in the galactic scheme of things? If so, what will we do with our power? How will we achieve such a status? Questions like these have no method of answering other than waiting for the answer, and I would gladly relinquish my mortality on order to learn the answers.

Edited by Omicron314

Some kind of virtual "afterlife" would be interesting. You would exist in a 3d game world, but you could also follow the real world happenings trough the internet.

There's of course one issue: is it really you, or just a perfect digital copy of you?

If you were replaced with a biological copy while you were sleeping, you wouldn't notice any difference. I think sleeping sort of reboots consciousness, while memories remain.

I would, not because I fear dying, but because I want to see how all of this turns out, the future. Of course, I'm assuming that I'll be in some kind of mobile body.

EDIT: also assuming we've reached the singularity there is a whole lot of fun things that can be jammed into a robotic or cyborg form.

Full virtual reality is right around the corner, I'm pritty sure we can jam that stuf in :P

Edited by Rich

If you become immortal to live to see what Humanity becomes, then Humanity will have become something so totally different from what we are now that you wouldn't recognize us as human any more. Time, space, wealth, compassion, health, suffering, pleasure, sex, reproduction, would no longer have the same meaning when you can live forever.

In other words, mortality is inherent to human nature. Remove mortality, and we are no longer human, but something completely different.

This has always been a huge subject for me and it is one of my dreams and goals. I guess you could say my goal isn't far off from wanting to become a god. *laughs like mad scientist as lightning strikes*

The crazy thing is I am not exactly joking either. However, it makes sense, since I most certainly am bit of a mad scientist XD. Living forever would be the first step to that goal. :3

Course knowing me, I would probably reach my goal for 5 seconds and get over thrown by someone else.

This has always been a huge subject for me and it is one of my dreams and goals. I guess you could say my goal isn't far off from wanting to become a god. *laughs like mad scientist as lightning strikes*

The crazy thing is I am not exactly joking either. However, it makes sense, since I most certainly am bit of a mad scientist XD. Living forever would be the first step to that goal. :3

Course knowing me, I would probably reach my goal for 5 seconds and get over thrown by someone else.

Don't you mean Evil Overlord?

i used to like the idea long ago, but i think it wont be good, i mean this is the time im supposed to live, in the far future i will feel out of place, just imagine that a guy from a 1000 years ago wakes up today, he would not understand whats going on at the begining, but even if we show him what happened, how things are now, he would feel that's he's not from here, because he's supposed to had lived 1000 years ago

i used to like the idea long ago, but i think it wont be good, i mean this is the time im supposed to live, in the far future i will feel out of place, just imagine that a guy from a 1000 years ago wakes up today, he would not understand whats going on at the begining, but even if we show him what happened, how things are now, he would feel that's he's not from here, because he's supposed to had lived 1000 years ago

He wouldn't even speak the language.

Language evolves pritty damn fast. If you were to get in a time machine and go, say 1000 years in the future. Even if the language is still called english, you wouldn't understand a word of it.

Just think of how mad you already are with the your you're, and all the slang ect, that right there IS language evolving, while the old guys just try to stick to the rules.

Can I just point out that uploading your brain to the internet will do nothing to make YOU immortal? A copy of you =\= you. You'll die as an immortal clone of you is born. Not quite how I want to cheat death. The only way we will cheat death is by finding a way to stop the break down of telomerase* in DNA. Only then will aging come to an end.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.