[WIP] KerbTown v0.13 Beta - Place static buildings, cities, launch sites & more!

Razchek

I'd like to present to you all the way from Hubs' Electrical:

KerbTown!

UYmsfTh.png

| Launch Site Demo

If you want to see the full preview of the Eve EE check out HoY's Epic journeys to the Easter Eggs of KerbTown:

What is KerbTown?

KerbTown is a content creators tool that comes with some content of it's own.

Essentially the core function of KerbTown is to allow you lovely creative people to instantiate your own models, cities, mountains, caves, elevators, roads, runways, dragons, aliens, toilets ... ahem.. into the game.

The great thing about this is that you can also script these objects in any way you want! You can literally write your own miniature game inside the KSP Universe.

If that's not your style, you could just place those lovely runways and coffee houses you'd been wanting to for so long, or how about that mun base?

Still not you? Well.. that's alright. The KerbTown plugin not only allows content creators to place their content into the game - it also allows them to share it with you.

Look out for these content packages in the near future!

Now, hopefully you understand that these objects are static and don't need to be launched.. you just kind of, have them there, like.. always.

These other models became very essential to me in making the game more immersive during the downtime phases when I was not flying, sailing, crashing.. all that good stuff.

I figured we all need some good tools to create more diverse content for KSP to become even more awesome - then along came KerbTown.

This plugin is still in development. Think of this as a beta. Test it for me, report some bugs, tell me how awesome I am - all of that.

I would really appreciate the testing! It will push development faster. Faster development = more content.

Any information you can give me is helpful. Take a look at the changes below and see if you can assist with any information about the known bugs.

For example, when the bug occurs - do you notice anything that is out of the ordinary? (Did Kerbin suddenly turn yellow?)

You have been brave reading thus far, be brave once more and read on for instructions and download links!

Downloads

Returning soon.

There are TWO downloads - one is the plugin, the second is content. Get them both if you are new to KerbTown

KerbTown V0.13 Beta (0.21 Compatible)

KerbTown Beta Tester Content
(49.5 MB) - Some of the content in this pack may only be available for the beta.

MOD EDIT:
New updated download available here:

Don't have a PDF Viewer for the Manual (and you don't want one)? The manual is

Also you can get a bigger version of each of the pictures in the manual from

Total package contains (Content + Plugin):

- Plugin (+ Plugin Assets)

- Manual

- Beta Easter Egg seen in video (will be removed in a future update).

- Beta Floating Launch Site (will be removed in a future update).

- Easter Egg on Eve.

- Config. template

- License

Source Code Viewable @

Usage Instructions

There is a manual included in the download or online now. Please read it.

Distribution

Read the manual, and if you have a question - please ask.

The "KerbTown.dll" file is licensed with the Creative Commons
license.

For the attribution requirements:

1. A link to this page with your packaged distributions (in a text file for example).

2. Any projects using KerbTown must also provide a link to this thread somewhere notable.

For example, in the first post of your thread, or in the YouTube video description.

You must also leave the license.txt file unmodified and packaged together with the library.

The source code for KerbTown is now Copyrighted © 2013 Ryan Irecki. All rights reserved.

This is subject to change in the future.

Any content you distribute is yours. License your content as you please. :)

If you are using models/materials/or any other content that is licensed then do not forget to read that said license and be certain you are allowed to distribute it in the way you plan.

I cannot be held liable for any content you distribute which was not created by me.

Latest Changes

Version 0.13 Beta

• Added native module: TimeOfDayController for those lovely night-time emissive animations.
  • Added feature: per-persistence instances for scenarios and saves.
  • Added a "Initialize" button which will call OnFirstSetup() on the static object when clicked.
  • Fixed script reference destructor.
  • Other minor changes and fixes.

Currently Known Bugs

• Mesh Colliders will reactivate as soon as a static object is translated to another position. (Unity Bug)
    Temporary work around: Create the instance of your object and then type into the "R Offset" field an altitude a bit higher than your current vessel altitude and click "Update" then re-position as per normal.
  • The KerbTown camera controller will cause issues when switching to IVA while placing or creating a static object.
  • Launch sites will not get cleared properly.

Reporting Bugs

If you have a bug to report, I need some things from you first.

1. The error log (KSP_Data/output_log.txt)
  2. The steps you took to cause the issue.
  3. Can you replicate the issue constantly?
  4. If you are using a custom-made static object, please send me the distributable file as well (.mu).
  5. As with above, let me know the exact path from inside the KSP folder to the custom-made static object.

Todo List

Those in bold are planned or already in testing for the next update.

• Further add to the latest release's changes.
  • Fix bug that causes launch sites to not be cleared. (caused by renaming feature)
  • Add LOD options (different models/objects enabled for different distances).
  • Add generic part module for instantiating static objects from parts when event criteria is met (i.e. button).
  • Add local database for static objects to enable reloading without reloading the entire KSP Game Database.
  • Add generic movie playback component for cinematic objects.
  • Add support for KSP Prefabs, if permitted.
  • More secret stuff.
  • Fix bugs, of course.
  • Add per-vessel launch site saves. No longer planned for development.
  • Add support for resources. No longer planned for development.

Projects using KerbTown

Link back to this page and you're likely to get a link here. If you're distributing KerbTown you should be anyway lol.

- Want to launch your VTOL in style? Heck it'll work with almost any ship! Wayland Corp's got you covered!

- Launch your rockets from inside a silo!

- (
) The community collaboration project to bring you a nice touch of the urban environment to KSP!

P.S: For those interested, PQSCity is used in the development of this plugin to get these lovely models placed in game.

We could just instantiate them in there, but that's no fun!

P.P.S: Documentation is fresh, there needs to be more information - but I need your help with that. Give me feedback please! :)

Edited by Razchek

Will be nice if you get this working. Was excited about the other guy that was trying to make citys, but that thread kinda died out it seems, and never a release.

Best of luck to ya Raz, hope you get this going. Would love to build proper citys.

Will be nice if you get this working. Was excited about the other guy that was trying to make citys, but that thread kinda died out it seems, and never a release.

Best of luck to ya Raz, hope you get this going. Would love to build proper citys.

Hah, it's already working more or less. :) The only real change I want to make before release and optimizations is the interaction.

At the moment, placing the buildings is handled by keys on the keyboard adjusting the orientation (think vector3 up/down/left/right/forward/back), height (offset) and position.

Which is messy, and no one wants to do that. :P

Don't worry - I haven't dropped LSI - the next update for that should be out one day.

Just needed a break from GUI design. o__o

I have several other projects which I will be publishing in the weeks to come, just a matter of making sure they are user friendly. :D

I would love people to submit some demo buildings / mountains / landing pads / islands so I can show this off a bit better. :cool:

Edited by Razchek

I have another question =)

Can buildings be made to be functional? Can I make building to store different fuels? What about connecting a docking port to a building before its placed?

I have only been modeling a short time, and have never tried a building, but this makes me want to try.

If I get something that looks modestly decent Ill send it your way bud.

I have another question =)

Can buildings be made to be functional? Can I make building to store different fuels? What about connecting a docking port to a building before its placed?

I have only been modeling a short time, and have never tried a building, but this makes me want to try.

If I get something that looks modestly decent Ill send it your way bud.

Good question!

Adding modules to the static objects are not a problem.. the static objects themselves are not vessels though which makes docking tricky.

That doesn't mean it won't happen, it just means 'at a later date'. I'll see what I can do after the initial release. (:

Edit:

Already I've thought of several ways to actually make it work. :rolleyes:

This is why I don't sleep ... lol.

Edited by Razchek

Good question!

Adding modules to the static objects are not a problem.. the static objects themselves are not vessels though which makes docking tricky.

That doesn't mean it won't happen, it just means 'at a later date'. I'll see what I can do after the initial release. (:

Edit:

Already I've though of several ways to actually make it work. :rolleyes:

This is why I don't sleep ... lol.

For a moment I thought you had managed to do this using the game's built-in "anomaly" feature, which is used for all the other scenery objects in the game. But judging from that last post this is not the case. Oh well. If you had managed to get anomalies to work the scenery would be visible from space.

Think of it this way, if you can see KSC - you can see any of these (in the same distance).

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by the "built-in 'anomaly' feature".

Are you talking about monoliths, KSC, the landing site on the island close by? They use PQSCity, as does this mod.. (:

Edited by Razchek

But being allowed to place them yourself adds the advantage of being able to make them yourself.

Razchek, do you by chance know of or use KAS?? The removable connection port can be configured to attach to static building (VAB and SPH), even terrain. Could this maybe be used on a static building to get to stored fuel or other resources?

Just finishing up some 7.5m tanks in Unity....then I'm gonna try and make a building!! Really excited for this...I have always tried to make little citys with parts...this is waaaay better!

Think of it this way, if you can see KSC - you can see any of these (in the same distance).

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by the "built-in 'anomaly' feature".

Are you talking about monoliths, KSC, the landing site on the island close by? They use PQSCity, as does this mod.. (:

Argh... Long day, somehow got it in my head that it was called PQSAnomaly, when as you rightly say, it is in fact PQSCity. I haven't looked at the PQS related stuff in a while. Anyway, that's great news that you're using PQSCity. And now I can see how docking would work very well. You clamp a "vessel" comprising of just a docking port onto the world using the same mechanism as launch clamps. All you would need to do is make an additional module that makes this joint with the world then put it in a docking port and figure out how to add a persistent "vessel" at the correct location.

Regardless, I cannot wait for the release, if only to see how you do it.

It is so far past my ability to make natural looking bends like that. Granted I have only been modeling a couple weeks..

How big is the archway? Seems like something that would be huge, but cant tell with greyscale backround. Looks awesome!!

This stands to be one of my favorite plugins. I have sooooo many questions about whats possible with this, and possible with placed object.

Hmm... The Mun arch is visible from orbit, and if these objects work the same way it only means one thing...

*casually creates a space elevator model*

Space elevator would be interesting haha lollipop mun!

To that effect I was thinking of making some 50m tall pylons to recreate the RedBull air races Kerbal style.

I tried flying between some buildings (made with blender city generator plugin) needless to say that video wont make youtube hahaha.

Argh... Long day, somehow got it in my head that it was called PQSAnomaly, when as you rightly say, it is in fact PQSCity. I haven't looked at the PQS related stuff in a while. Anyway, that's great news that you're using PQSCity. And now I can see how docking would work very well. You clamp a "vessel" comprising of just a docking port onto the world using the same mechanism as launch clamps. All you would need to do is make an additional module that makes this joint with the world then put it in a docking port and figure out how to add a persistent "vessel" at the correct location.

Regardless, I cannot wait for the release, if only to see how you do it.

We all have them! My plans for the first release don't include docking - but most likely on the second or third update.

Perhaps you could add some way of randomly scattering cities on land below a certain latitude? I'd be much too lazy to place them all myself.

That takes away from my idea. Let other players populate your worlds full of cities! :) I'm certain they will pop-up.

But being allowed to place them yourself adds the advantage of being able to make them yourself.

Razchek, do you by chance know of or use KAS?? The removable connection port can be configured to attach to static building (VAB and SPH), even terrain. Could this maybe be used on a static building to get to stored fuel or other resources?

Just finishing up some 7.5m tanks in Unity....then I'm gonna try and make a building!! Really excited for this...I have always tried to make little citys with parts...this is waaaay better!

I agree. :) And I use KAS, but not once have I tried attaching a port to the VAB/SPH haha I will do some testing after the first release and see if I can drain some resources from a placed object. :) (hello alternative mining)

Alright.. I think i have come up with the best solution for users to implement their epic models into KSP as static objects.

Two plugins.

1. "Static Object" Editor - Lets modders place objects (and view them) in the game where they want them and then save the information to a config file.

2. "Static Object" Reader - Reads the config files and places the object in game appropriately.

For example:

You wanted to add an awesome runway on the mun and distrubte it as a mod. You would use plugin 1 to place the object, create the config (automatically) and then you would organize the necessary files* and place them together with plugin 2 to distribute.

Other players will download the package you've distributed, install it into whatever folder in the GameData directory and not have to do a single thing but load the game and find the object.

Does that sound good? :)

--

* = The files that are used are those exported from Unity3D using the KSP Part Tools component (like an ordinary part) and the config file.

E.g. model.mu & texture.png & static.cfg.

Alright.. I think i have come up with the best solution for users to implement their epic models into KSP as static objects.

Two plugins.

1. "Static Object" Editor - Lets modders place objects (and view them) in the game where they want them and then save the information to a config file.

2. "Static Object" Reader - Reads the config files and places the object in game appropriately.

For example:

You wanted to add an awesome runway on the mun and distrubte it as a mod. You would use plugin 1 to place the object, create the config (automatically) and then you would organize the necessary files* and place them together with plugin 2 to distribute.

Other players will download the package you've distributed, install it into whatever folder in the GameData directory and not have to do a single thing but load the game and find the object.

--

* = The files that are used are those exported from Unity3D using the KSP Part Tools component (like an ordinary part) and the config file.

Good? That sounds ideal! Though perhaps you could merge them into one plugin that can be put into edit mode with a special key combination, or a config file flag.

Good? That sounds ideal! Though perhaps you could merge them into one plugin that can be put into edit mode with a special key combination, or a config file flag.

Duly noted. :) I initially thought of implementing them as a single assembly but have my horrible pre-optimization habits making me hesitate. Which drove me to the conclusion posted above.

It was more so a preference than a necessity to be separate plugins, but the decision is up to the community!

I'm just the developer with good ideas. :P

Duly noted. :) I initially thought of implementing them as a single assembly but have my horrible pre-optimization habits making me hesitate. Which drove me to the conclusion posted above.

It was more so a preference than a necessity to be separate plugins, but the decision is up to the community!

I'm just the developer with good ideas. :P

After thinking about it a bit more, how would you ensure that the plugins work nicely together? Unless it's a case of the editor plugin being like the other, but with additional editing capabilities, so only one plugin is ever installed. IMO it would all be easier for you if you just made and distributed one plugin. And don't worry about optimisation - it's not exactly like your code is ever going to be the bottleneck *cough* unity *cough* :rolleyes:

Two plugins.

For example:

--

Sounds awesome! Better than I thought.

Making a building is harder than I thought....everytime I get something that looks even a little ok I look and its 10k+tris in Blender....

Think I am gonna try making hollow building tonight when i get home, so Kerbals can go inside.