[1.0.5] TAC Life Support v0.11.2.1 [12Dec]

TaranisElsu

Heyho.

So far the mod is superb but for me it has one giant flaw: Electricity. Why the heck does the standard-capsule has only 20 Minutes of Electricity? WHAT?! Food and Water lasting a DAY! A damn whole day! Even Oxygen... 30 Days without Food is okay as a base value. Without water 3 days is also ocay but the depletion of Electricity is so extremely high that i need over 30 Batterys to have at least 1 orbital flight! Thats not okay, well so far i can add other numbers, so thats okay for now. But as a standard 20 minutes... Thats the start and then orbital-maneuver, not even the landing...

Uhm, the max time with oxigen should be 3 - 6 minutes, not 3 days.

So far: The Mod is GREAT! I like it! Cant play without.

Stay crunchy.

Heyho.

So far the mod is superb but for me it has one giant flaw: Electricity. Why the heck does the standard-capsule has only 20 Minutes of Electricity? WHAT?! Food and Water lasting a DAY! A damn whole day! Even Oxygen... 30 Days without Food is okay as a base value. Without water 3 days is also ocay but the depletion of Electricity is so extremely high that i need over 30 Batterys to have at least 1 orbital flight! Thats not okay, well so far i can add other numbers, so thats okay for now. But as a standard 20 minutes... Thats the start and then orbital-maneuver, not even the landing...

Uhm, the max time with oxigen should be 3 - 6 minutes, not 3 days.

So far: The Mod is GREAT! I like it! Cant play without.

Stay crunchy.

You can adjust those values yourself in the overview to your fancy. And increasing storage capacity of the command modules is a very simple hack, just open the part file and plug in the new value

I think the point originally was that you can get an easy supply of electricity with solar panels, so the consideration was not how much supply you would need for your mission (as with food etc.), but just how you last through the night. But with career mode you get the problem, that you need a significant amount of science for those solar panels, but without them, your means to get science are limited, because both your probes and capsules run out of power.

Is there a Green house for food? I did find a green house build as part of LLL, but I am not sure how to mode the config file. I am going to dessagree that it would nessarly need sunlight, Imputs I would suglest would be electirc charge, co2, wast or wast water(and or water) or both, out puts would be O2 maybe clean water, and food

Is there a Green house for food? I did find a green house build as part of LLL, but I am not sure how to mode the config file. I am going to dessagree that it would nessarly need sunlight, Imputs I would suglest would be electirc charge, co2, wast or wast water(and or water) or both, out puts would be O2 maybe clean water, and food

I don't know what LLL is, but can point you to the BioMass Mod.

Very good mod so far, a few comments below about the mod:

You really should try to strike up a chat with Fractal_UK (KSPI) and Majiir (Kethane) and maybe look at trying to consolidate all the resource systems. I know Fractal_UK tried to start up that conversation with his Mod Resource API.

I really feel like you should make energy consumption more dynamic (for heating/cooling) as the temperature changes quite a bit between environments. I believe it is fairly straight forward to get the temperature outside the vessel and simply scale power consumption with delta temperature. You could even turn this into a gameplay mechanic, display cabin temperature on screen and players would need to add heating/cooling parts to the ship which draw power based on need. So a mission to Moho would require cooling parts and a mission to Eeloo would require heating parts. As the temperature gets further away from the cabin temperature you would need more electric charge to power more of the parts. Summary:

• Heating/Cooling parts allow you to handle larger differences between cabin and external temperature.
  • Electric Charge scales based on the difference between cabin and external temperature.

One bug I noticed with v0.8 [22Dec]:

Inactive vessels claim they are running out of oxygen/water but are actually fine because they don’t seem to account for actively running oxygen/water recyclers. It means I have to keep switching to them to make the mod realize the resources are not actually running out. Really annoying when my LKO/Mun/Minmus/Duna/Jool stations to keep bugging me.

I am having a problem where oxygen is not being consumed at all. It was working fine before, so it's odd. I also tested on a fresh install with no other mods except TAC:LS and Toolbar, oxygen is not being consumed but food and water are. Can anyone help?

Edited by lantay77

I am having a problem where oxygen is not being consumed at all. I tested on a fresh install with no other mods except TAC:LS and Toolbar, oxygen is not being consumed but food and water are. Can anyone help?

Is your craft in orbit? When still on the surface, there is no oxygen consumption.

Is your craft in orbit? When still on the surface, there is no oxygen consumption.

It was happening in orbit too, but I tested on the fresh install only on the ground. I'll test in orbit, thanks!

I suspect it wasn't working in orbit for me earlier since I had to edit the .sfs file, due to a bug caused by a different addon, and the ship with the problem was from another save file.

Edited by lantay77

It was happening in orbit too, but I tested on the fresh install only on the ground. I'll test in orbit, thanks!

I suspect it wasn't working in orbit for me earlier since I had to edit the .sfs file, due to a bug caused by a different addon, and the ship with the problem was from another save file.

It's working fine now. Just was a bug from editing the ship into the .sfs file.

Somnambulic Aerospace

Life Support Parts

(You know, for Kerbals.)

No longer will your Kerbals need to choose between life and aesthetics. Somnambulic Aerospace is pleased to announce the first prerelease of life support resource containers for TAC Life Support:

rxAuLtPl.jpg

Available in the development thread! (Please keep related conversation over there. Thanks!)

Somnambulic Aerospace

Life Support Parts

(You know, for Kerbals.)

No longer will your Kerbals need to choose between life and aesthetics. Somnambulic Aerospace is pleased to announce the first prerelease of life support resource containers for TAC Life Support:

http://i.imgur.com/rxAuLtPl.jpg

Available in the development thread! (Please keep related conversation over there. Thanks!)

Added a link in the OP. Good job on them :)

I completed some more updating of my textures. I think they're pretty much 'done' at this point. They were a bit too "clean" before and didn't really fit in to the stock Kerbal style. So I weathered them a bit, added some scratches, dirt, and minor distressing. I think they blend pretty well with the stock Kerbal look now. I also put a few surface details on the Hex Cans; panels, etc. The download link is the same, so there's no need to update the link from the first post:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22466/TAC_Hex_and_Converter_Textures.zip

I took a long, hard look at these. I didn't want to use brown since that's the color of Waste Water. I tried purple, but it was distracting in the way it jumped out from everything else. Finally, I tried white. I think it works really well. You can still tell storage apart from recycler by the color of the main stripe. Then white is for "Life Support" and the other colors are for the individual resources.

Note to the mod author:

Taranis, I did notice something. I think you may have a minor issue with your surface normals on the models for the inline containers and recyclers. Notice in the screenshot below how the shading is "flat" across the surface of the Hex Cans, but each of the inline modules is lighter on top and then darker on the bottom? That's likely a result of the surface normals not being oriented correctly. The geometry is flat, but the normals are indicating a curved or beveled surface.

http://i.imgur.com/LFkWwlz.jpg

Love the mod and your textures just two things:

For 'life support' containers how about multiple stripes to signify the multiple contents i.e. a blue, green and a yellow stripe.

The other one is just a matter of personal preference really - I like things to look stockish, and I think the icons just stick out from the stock theme too much. Could you post a version without them (so just the stripes..). I have no idea how this would work for the recylcers though

Hello! I love your mod! It adds a sense of realism that vanilla KSP sorely lacks. I'm brand new to modding KSP, I was hoping you could help me create 2 parts that I want to use with your mod. I would like to create 2 new parts using the hitchhiker cabin model. The first one would trade some crew capacity for provisions. I was thinking of increasing its weight to 3.5 tons, adding 1000 food, 100 oxygen, and 100 water, and decreasing its crew capacity to 2. I would like the second part to have 0 crew capacity, but even more food, and a water purifier and carbon dioxide scrubber. These 2 parts would fit perfectly with my planned interplanetary mission to Duna.

EDIT: Lol, I somehow missed the post 3 above this one when I read through this thread. I'll check out these new parts and see if they work with my plans.

Edited by Rabada

Mr TaranisElsu this mod is really nice one I'm using it and really like it, also added this functionality to the ATV from http://www./?op4bwsjbz1i1ca2 and is working really nice to resupply my station. Ill be adding the function to some other mods

and I will let you know how it works, and if there is demand I'll upload a packet with all the modifications.

Many thanks for your work.

Is there a way to minimize the user interface on the Map view?
The ECLSS status to be exact

The "ECLSS" window is coming from a different mod: asmi's ECLSS life support mod.

Do you have any of BobCat's mods installed? BobCat packaged asmi's mod with his part packs, especially the American pack or Soviet pack. You can keep the parts without asmi's mod by deleting the ECLSS.dll out of BobCat's directories. Please use either amsi's life support or mine, not both.

Edited by TaranisElsu

i have a issue with the "converters" on a self made all-in-one life support service module:

as example: if i start the water purifier, it stops to generate new waste water, but it does not convert the already existing waste water. and seems like the converters have trouble with resource inside the same part.

the part.cfg:

PART
{
// --- general parameters ---
name = acc_tacls_lssm250x71
module = Part
author = Acc

// --- asset parameters ---
mesh = lssm.dae
texture = texture.png
scale = 1
rescaleFactor = 2.5
specPower = 0.5
rimFalloff = 3
alphaCutoff = 0

// --- node Definitions ---
node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.143, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.143, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0
node_attach = 0.501, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
attachRules = 1,0,1,1,0

// --- editor parameters ---
TechRequired = electronics
entryCost = 6000
cost = 1000
category = Utility
subcategory = 0
title = Life Support Service Module 250X71
manufacturer = AccOns, Thunder Aerospace Corporation
description = This all-in-one Service Module contains nearly everything to keep alive in Space.

// --- standard part parameters ---
mass = 0.88
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 1
crashTolerance = 12
breakingForce = 500
breakingTorque = 500
maxTemp = 3200

// --- resources ---
RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
amount = 4000
maxAmount = 4000
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Food
amount = 480
maxAmount = 480
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Oxygen
amount = 240
maxAmount = 240
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Water
amount = 240
maxAmount = 240
}
RESOURCE
{
name = WasteWater
amount = 0
maxAmount = 240
}
RESOURCE
{
name = CarbonDioxide
amount = 0
maxAmount = 240
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Waste
amount = 0
maxAmount = 480
}

// --- modules ---
MODULE
{
name = TacGenericConverter
converterName = Air Filter
conversionRate = 86400
inputResources = IntakeAir, 0.477, ElectricCharge, 1
outputResources = Oxygen, 1.0, false
requiresOxygenAtmo = true
}
MODULE
{
converterName = Water Purifier
conversionRate = 8
inputResources = WasteWater, 1, ElectricCharge, 1000
outputResources = Water, 0.9, false, Waste, 6.382, true
}
MODULE
{
converterName = Carbon Extractor
conversionRate = 8
inputResources = CarbonDioxide, 1, ElectricCharge, 1000
outputResources = Oxygen, 0.9, false, Waste, 2.218, true
}
MODULE
{
converterName = Water Splitter
conversionRate = 1440
inputResources = Water, 1, ElectricCharge, 100
outputResources = Oxygen, 3.722, false, Waste, 3.581, true
}
}

would be nice someone can help me.

i'll release the parts, when finished :)

edit: i checked the log, but there is nothing to see.

Edited by acc

Hm ... is an atmosphere breathable simply because it contains oxygen?

Definitely not...

Atmosphere needs to be within certain pressures.

Oxygen needs the right partial pressure (depends on pressure and concentration).

Carbon-dioxide needs to have low enough partial pressure.

Etc...

Atmosphere cannot contain toxic amounts of stuff like:

Chlorine, Sulfur Dioxide, Hyrdrochloric acid, hydrogen fluoride, hydrogen sulfide, carbon monoxide, etc....