Delta V tab

When in flight i have sometime needed to know my delta V to see if i can stop before i crash etc... there should be a tab that shows the delta V like the fuel tab in flight, or even better have it integrated with the fuel tab, perhaps in brackets. :D i know i could just get a mod to tell me but it would just be a perk for the game

In stock KSP: If you set a maneuver node it does show you the total delta-V that maneuver consists of. So you can use that to gauge things ahead of time before you do them, even if you don't actually use the maneuver node but rather just used it to see the numbers ahead of time.

In stock KSP: If you set a maneuver node it does show you the total delta-V that maneuver consists of. So you can use that to gauge things ahead of time before you do them, even if you don't actually use the maneuver node but rather just used it to see the numbers ahead of time.

I think he means potential Delta V left in the tanks, to compare against maneuver node amounts.

I use the crap out of this window from MechJeb because I have no idea how to actually figure it out otherwise, lol.

I think he means potential Delta V left in the tanks, to compare against maneuver node amounts.

Technically you could work it out if you know the ISP in vacuum of the engine(s) being used, and the sum total fuel left, and the mass of the craft, presuming they're all given in the same units (it's hard to tell since stock KSP so often doesn't bother telling you what units the numbers are in and just gives you a raw number).

Robbii6,

If you are in space, have one engine and serial staging - than yes, it's pretty easy to calculate dV.

But imagine something like SSTO with two turbojets to gain speed while in atmosphere, two aerospikes for kicking out of it, and one LV-N for interplanetary travel. All mapped on action groups and can be activated in any moment at your whim. How you going to calculate dV automatically? And do not forget that Isp changes with atmospheric pressure!

Anyway, for simple cases you can use Kerbal Engineer Redux mod. It's very useful and pure informational (on the case you fear to get hooked on MechJeb)

Bottom line: It's impossible to show dV for any reasonably complex craft.

Edited by koshelenkovv

With new update out, had to play stock and once again I felt that it's so unnatural to play the game for me without having delta-v/mass/TWR/burn time VAB information. Yes, it's been interesting to calculate it by hand in my newbie days, but it took quite some time, and doing it over and over again just doesn't feel right.

The most important thing is that devs have said multiple times that they see current KSP as seriously top-heavy game and want to do more basic stuff. I'm sure everyone would agree that showing such an important spacecraft info in VAB is exactly the basic stuff that's missing from the base game. So I don't get it, why is it still isn't there? Why people have to use mods or grind through the math just to be able to know their craft parameters?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.