[0.23] Runway PAPI array - Version 0.3.2

asarium

Here is a mod spotlight, kindly provided by buzz66boy

Hello everyone,

here is a small plugin I've been working on in the last few days. It adds working (but ugly) PAPI (Precision approach path indicator) arrays to the end of the runway at KSC.

It is currently configured for a glidepath of 6° which means that the array will show two red and two white lights when you are on a 6° glidepath with your plane.

Download: https://github.com/asarium/PAPIPlugin/releases/download/v0.3.2/PAPIPlugin.zip (install by unzipping the contents into your KSP folder)

Source code: https://github.com/asarium/PAPIPlugin

The code and the plugin is licensed under the MIT license.

Version history:

Version 0.3.2:

• angavrilov fixed the unresponsive array bug

• Fixed placement of PAPI lights for 0.22 compatibility

Version 0.3:

• Added GUI to modify the glideslope values interactively
  • Replaced the light rectangles with actual spheres, looks way better now
  • Changed some config values, see below

Version 0.2:

• Changed internal API to be modular
  • Added configurable light arrays

Version 0.1.1:

• Compatibility update for KSP 0.21

Version 0.1:

• Initial release

Config file documentation:

Version 0.2 added the possibility to add light arrays within a config file. This is done by the LightGroup config node type. Every node represents an object which groups multiple lights together.

You can find an example of that config file here: https://github.com/asarium/PAPIPlugin/blob/master/assets/GameData/PAPIPlugin/lights.cfg

The options on a LightGroup are:

• Name: The name of the group (optional)
  • Body: The name of the body the group is located on (e.g. Kerbin) (required)

To add actual light arrays you need to add LightArray entries inside the group node. Each entry needs a Type value and may have a Namespace value. These are used to identify the class which is used for the light array.

Possible values are:

• Type: PAPIArray
    Namespace: PAPIPlugin.Arrays
    Options:
    • Latitude: The latitude of the array location (required)
    • Longitude: The longitude of the array location (required)
    • Heading: The heading the array points to. This is used to aligned the array and also to make the array fade out when viewed from behind.(required)
    • TargetGlideslope: The target path where the array will be half white half red, default is 6. (optional)
    • GlideslopeTolerance: The difference from the target glidepath where the array will not be entirely red or white, default is 1.5.(optional)
    • Height: The actual height of the array above the terrain below (optional)
    • PartCount: The number of lights in the array (optional)
    • LightRadius: The radius of the lights (optional)
    • LightDistance: The distance between two lights, excluding the actual light radius (optional)

Planned additions:

• KerbTown usage for array placement
  • "meatball"/OLS light array
  • full runway lighting which means the addition of editable generic light array

Credits:

• TaranisElsu - Author of the used TacLib UI library

Please give me feedback, positive and negative so I can improve the plugin in the future.

If you find bugs please use the issue tracking of github, that will help me fix them as soon as possible and will also keep the thread clean.

Screenshots:

2sx9.png

Regards,

asarium

Edited by asarium
Release of version 0.3.2

6* is a bit suicidal IMO. IRL these are configured to something arround 3* (which is also deffault glideslope in MechJeb spaceplane guidance). Would be 58.65% :P more useful if glideslope was customizable, so one can set different glideslopes for different planes.

2sx9.png

Hello everyone,

here is a small plugin I've been working on in the last few days. It adds working (but ugly) PAPI (Precision approach path indicator) arrays to the end of the runway at KSC.

It is currently configured for a glidepath of 6° which means that the array will show two red and two white lights when you are on a 6° glidepath with your plane.

THX for that i download it asap.

[Edit: it works just awsome, now it needs a good 3D modell and send it to Sqad to get this thing STOCK!!!!]

Edited by whaaw

I'm not a big aeronautics buff so I don't know anything about these, I take it they're a set of slatted lights set to be visible at different angles, such that all of them are only visible from a slim band so the pilot knows, if they see all of the blocks, they're not too steep or too shallow. That sounds incredibly useful, but why do you need four blocks, does it do the same thing horizontally to indicate that you're lined up with the runway correctly? I'm not much for landing my aircraft, but I know of a lot of people who will be really excited to try this out, and it's one of a small number of new ideas I've seen around here recently.

I'm not a big aeronautics buff so I don't know anything about these, I take it they're a set of slatted lights set to be visible at different angles, such that all of them are only visible from a slim band so the pilot knows, if they see all of the blocks, they're not too steep or too shallow. That sounds incredibly useful, but why do you need four blocks, does it do the same thing horizontally to indicate that you're lined up with the runway correctly? I'm not much for landing my aircraft, but I know of a lot of people who will be really excited to try this out, and it's one of a small number of new ideas I've seen around here recently.

They all go between red & white depending on your angle to them - if they're all red you're too low, all white too high, half and half you're on the path. 6 degrees is way steeper than my usual approaches though. Great work so far!

this system exist on US Aircraftcarrier the Pilots called it MeatBall and this shows vertical and horizontal path

the difference is the meatball is controlled by an officer on the deck so not visual controlled...

640px-Optical_Landing_System%2C_night%2C_aboard_USS_Dwight_D._Eisenhower_%28CVN-69%29.jpg

Are they a physical model of the lights or just colored squares? I am more than sure that someone would be willing to make a model of the landing lights setup. Also someway to configure the glide slope would be mightily appreciated.

Currently its only a set of colored squares as I have no idea about 3D modeling.

This is awesome. I was trying to build glideslope indicators with lights and panels the other day and failing miserably (can't see the lights until you're too close) but it looks like you've found a far superior solution.

Could the system be made into an attachable part (or could the trait "projects PAPI lights" be given to various parts by us) that works off any location/orientation to allow it to be used on mobile systems like aircraft carriers or airdropped and set up at the island runway (or the VAB roof, or whatever runways we put in ourselves when Kerbtown gets finished)?

I wonder if they will add more runways to the game.

And also: are you going to build some models where the lights fit in? because floating lights isn't a bit Kerbish

I would add that but I sadly don't have the required 3D modeling skills ;.;

This is great! Now all that is needed is an ALS :)

I actually plan to do that...

This is one of THE mods I have been waiting for :D If you can make it look more like the USAF 'Meatball' it would be awsome.

the difference is the meatball is controlled by an officer on the deck so not visual controlled...

The 'Meatball' is not controlled by anyone. The position of the marker in the center is completely autonomous and dependent on viewing angle. The only 'active' part is a few degrees of tilt to compensate for deck movement.

@whaaw I know your only trying to help but please take that link down. The preview is fine but forum rules wont allow you to post the download link unless it comes with the appropriate licenses etc.

This is looking good. I'd suggest allowing the user to change the glide slope parameters in the cfg or something similar.

Edited by Orphican

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.