Security best practices

Forum security is an issue of striking a balance between degree of bulletproofness and usability. If Squad really wanted to use industry best practices for security it'd require 2-part authentication... but it would be too much of a hassle for folks to make them dig around for their phone or tablet or whatever just to log in. If personally-identifiable information (PII) was stored here like purchase orders or the like, maybe it would be acceptable degree of inconvenience; but not for a non-commercial social forum.

During the Great Forum Whoopsies this week with v0.21's release, I got Error-500'd while logging in and tripped the "failed to log in too many times" threshold somehow. This made me wait for I think it was an hour before allowing me to sign back in. I think that's enough protection while keeping the forums simple to use.

-- Steve

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.