Minmus art pass

As Minmus is naturally the second body that most will land on, or at least travel to, it's a pretty important one! Unfortunately it's look hasn't changed at all since it was introduced all the way back in .15, and it's starting to look pretty dated. In that time the game has come a long way, many more bodies were introduced, and most newer bodies have been given multiple art passes and revisions. Minmus however has been left in the dust and has the oldest surface still in the game, so at this point even a minor art pass would help, but a more drastic redesign would probably be for the best, just to keep it on par with the other bodies in the system, especially with the newly redesigned Mun and Kerbin right next door.

It would be great to see some cracks in the ice lakes like those on Eeloo, and some more varied terrain and possibly coloration all throughout. Maybe even a kilometer or so high tentative atmosphere made of sublimating gasses off the ice lakes, something like that of Pluto or something. Not really enough to affect much of anything I suppose but interesting for science reasons.

Anyways, those are just my thoughts, I'd love to hear any ideas anyone else might have on Minmus though.

I like Minmus's smooth surface. There are plenty of interesting places to visit there. Tweak it a little, maybe, but keep the character.

Fancy stuff can be saved for harder to get to places, IMHO.

Now that the Mun is way more rugged, I think Minmus is now different enough.

I don't mean it shouldn't evolve of course, but it should be quite different from the mun. I wonder if the Dev team is going to put geyser or some new hazard on planet. (hellish relief being the first step)

All I would like is some more varied terrain. Right now there are two types of terrain (and two colors at that). The frozen lakes, and the mountainous land. The whole body is either light blue (lakes) or really light blue (land).

And an Easter egg or two would be nice as well.

I like Minmus's smooth surface. There are plenty of interesting places to visit there. Tweak it a little, maybe, but keep the character.

Fancy stuff can be saved for harder to get to places, IMHO.

Precisely. I personally dont get the idea that looks is so important early on. I want optimization and functionality, two things KSP realy lacks. But instead time is spent on what should be finishing up touches as fare as I am concerned. Duna is for example almost impossible to land spaceplanes on now because looks is more important then game play, not thought was apparently put in to that. I hate that focus. As fare as I am concerned they might as well remove procedural terrain altogether until the game is in the final stage then add it and make sure not to mess the terrain up in ways that impedes game play. Makes little sens to add "candy" to a game that already runs slow enough for most users and hammper the game play as a result. Just narrows the player base and potential consumers instead.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.