Simplifying the kerbin ocean.

Hi,

As you know a lot of folks have performance issues, especially on Kerbin. A big reason for this is the ocean.

You can change some setting in the config file in the gamefolder so that the maxsubdivision for the ocean is lower, this helps massivly!

BUT this method isn't foolproof and it might mess up the game.

So I was thinking if there could be a setting that turns the ocean of kerbin to a very simple texture. Personaly I think it could just be blue. It might not be very beautiful but it would help a lot of people including myself and it is something that I think isn't too hard to do.

Or maybe my reasoning is completely wrong. So, thoughts?

If you run the game fine otherwise, why not post it in the support forum instead to see if there's a known fix? As to many people this suggestion is a little pointless as they don't get this problem.

The ocean texture is actually rendered as another planet and causes known lag problems.

I prefer having a better water texture, but a seating to change this could be useful, so you can always turn it down for laggy situations, or less powerful computers.

I would also like to see some effort put forth into simplifying the ocean if at all possible. I have a decent rig and can run most games on the high or very high settings at around 60 FPS as an average. In KSP, I drop to a pain-staking 10-20 FPS whenever I look at not only the ocean anymore, but also the terrain. This has made the game nearly unplayable for me as it sucks away the fun of exotic planets with liquids present.

Well, a terrain-ocean-atmospheric optimization could be done so that lags could be reduced. I think we should prioritize performance than quality, but we also need to put quality to an acceptable state.

An option for a simpler ocean would be great. Kerbin (and Laythe) oceans are by far the worst framekillers in this game.

Why Eve's wasn't?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.