Inline Advance Stabilizer vs Inline Reaction wheel

Prior to 0.21, there was a clear cut difference between the two. The S.A.S. worked as a supplement to the A.S.A.S.. Now that the new version is out, what is the difference between the two? The IAS has an additional .2 mass on the IRW, while both use the same amount of electricity and produce the same amount of torque in all directions. I will be running some tests of my own to determine the differences, but I would like input from others, and what they have found.

Thanks for the help!

I just ran a series of test launches and discovered that there is effectively no difference. Both add the same things, and are incapable of launching on their own, without any pods. The only control pod type thing that does NOT have the SAS controls is the Torture Chair, and that craft would have to have a manned pod attached in order to fill the seat. The only differences are the IAS has extra mass, and cosmetic differences. Anyone else find anything different?

I just ran a series of test launches and discovered that there is effectively no difference. Both add the same things, and are incapable of launching on their own, without any pods. The only control pod type thing that does NOT have the SAS controls is the Torture Chair, and that craft would have to have a manned pod attached in order to fill the seat. The only differences are the IAS has extra mass, and cosmetic differences. Anyone else find anything different?

Well the manned pod doesn't necessarily have to be attached when flying, for example a micro lander that undocks from the main rocket. if you wanted sas on that then you would need the IAS

From the description and what I understaood of the dev talk during the ksp-tv marathon,

the advance one add the stabilization computer while the normal one only add torque to be used by another computer.

From the data and .cfg files, they are both the same apart from the weight and texture, making the advance one obsolete (except for retro compatibility of old .craft files)

The 0.21.1 update was probably a bit hasty and I'm sure some of these things will be cleared up. But for now the only difference between these two parts is the mass. Functionally they are the same. The large 2.5m part also has the same function, just a different mass and size.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.