[1.0.2][May17] SelectRoot2: Fixing stock awkwardness

FW Industries

Squad added a root part selection mode to stock. But it's a bit awkward to use. This plugin fixes the following things:

- Only one click needed. Just click on the part you want to be the new root.

- Works if you're already hovering the new part. No more mouse wiggling to get the selection to register.

- Drops the new root, so you can grab something else immediately.

Download: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7121093/ksp-mods/KSP%5B1.0.2%5DSelectRoot2%5BMay17%5D.zip

Tested in 1.0.2

Usage: Enter root selection mode and click on the new root part. Root selection mode is one of the buttons on top next to the rotate and offset gizmos. Or just press 4 :)

Known issues:

- The instructional text for the skipped step still shows up for a split second.

- Actually a stock bug: Will allow you to select some parts that can't be root: The stock parachutes for example. After detaching you won't be able to reattach anymore. But undo can recover from that.

Changelog:

- 2015 May 17 Fixed sound glitch found by Kerbas_ad_astra

- 2015 May 06 Initial release DL

Source and MIT License included in download.

SelectRoot allows you to select a part on your vessel to become the new root part. As if you rebuilt your craft starting with that part. Best used with your favorite subassembly loader!

ib0Ja4DgTrrKf0.gif

Download: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7121093/ksp-mods/KSP-Plugin-24.0-SelectRoot-Jul18.zip

Alternate DL: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7121093/ksp-mods/KSP-Plugin-24.0-SelectRoot-Jul18-No-Build-Script.zip

(Alternative DL doesn't contain batch files for rebuilding the dll. Chrome seems to hate them.)

Tested in 24.0, 25.0

Old version: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7121093/ksp-mods/KSP-Plugin-0.22-SelectRoot-Oct17.7z

Tested in 22 & 21.1 (Reported to work with 23.5)

Usage: Hold LeftControl, LeftShift and left click on the new root part.

Parts can't become root when:

- Created with symmetry. If you really want to, try StripSymmetry.

- Only surface attachable, without attachment nodes.

Any other part can be set as root. Even ones that can't in vanilla. This can be used on the big vanilla docking port, for example.

Changelog:

- 2014 Jul 18

- 2013 Oct 17

Updated for 0.22

Fixed highlighting.

Fixed crew manifest.

Fixed undo stack.

- Aug 12

Removed restrictions on root part selection.

Removed a few OSD messages or made them shorter.

Displaying OSD messages no longer prevents highlighting of parts on the whole screen.

- Jul 29

No longer breaks selection of parts in Action Groups tab.

- Jul 28

Initial release.

Implementation notes:

Saves current ship to ConfigNode. Rewrites links between parts and reorders nodes to change the tree root. Finally reloads ship from ConfigNode. Would probably be more robust to reload the editor with the new craft, but who wants to see that loading screen again?

Source and MIT License included in download.

Shoutouts to the creators of ProceduralFairings, KerbalAlarmclock and EditorExtensions whose source code was very helpful in getting me started with KSP plugins and Unity.

Edited by FW Industries

Awesome! Not 5 minutes ago I was in need of something like this! :D

Same here! I was attaching a jet-powered spaceplane to a rocket to fly around on the Mun or any other body of my liking and I started by moving my plane's CRAFT file to the VAB directory and then building a rocket onto that, and I wanted the rocket's command pod to be the focus while I was in flight. Not the best way, but I'm bad at planes so I used a prebuilt one from Ferram Aerospace.

Not sure why my reply didn't work but I'll try again: I can confirm that this plugin is both backwards compatible for those of us clinging to 20.2 and awesome. Probably awesome first, backwards compatible second. I was needing something like this just today and lo it appears. Great work!

Edit: May be unrelated-- Having issues building action groups in aforementioned and unsupported version...

Edited by dishycourier

Thanks! This will really come in handy, especially because I'm still having the issue with Subassembly Loader forgetting fuel lines and struts (even though I tried the "perfect" fix suggested in the Zenith thread).

Now I can just load the rocket in the VAB, set the decoupler as the root, delete the sample payload, build up and set the new command module as the root when I'm done building, right?

If it works the way I am understanding, this will become an invaluable and indisposable part of my mod toolbox for every version to come.

Edited by HeadHunter67

Having issues building action groups [...]
Seems to break action groups [...]

Thanks for reporting and testing with stock install. Updated and fixed.

Didn't realize the GUI panel I was using to draw the OSD messages prevented parts in the Action Groups tabs from being selected. The panel is now only drawn in the Parts tab and only if there are actually messages to display.

I've had issues with MechJeb on the same thing. In the action groups tab, if you accidentally click on a MJ UI, you can't select parts for action groups, selecting parts in build mode don't light up, and if you leave the VAB/SPH, you can't click on the buildings, and if you leave to the main menu, you can't click any of the buttons. I'm also going to post this in MechJeb topic.

So am I the only one having trouble downloading this? Tried with both IE and Firefox and the only thing Mediafire seems to want to do is spam me with pop windows and try to get me to install download managers.

That means you are clicking on the wrong download link.

Not that it is your fault, they put 100 other links there to confuse you. Look for the big green button.

That means you are clicking on the wrong download link.

Not that it is your fault, they put 100 other links there to confuse you. Look for the big green button.

That IS the one I've been using. The button just gets replaced by a message saying "still not downloading? Repair your Download" With the last 3 words being a link that just reloads the page.

Don't feel bad - that's Mediafire for you. It's due to their pop-under ads and probably browser specific. I have had the same problem with Mediafire links using versions of IE for years. Just got to keep refreshing and retrying when that happens.

I give up. I've tried both IE and Firefox countless times all night long. Please post this mod to a more reputable location. I would love to get the chance to use it.

Same with me. IE and Firefox won't let me download it. Doing a right-click save-as gives me a corrupted file.

FW Industries, great work. Combined with the SubAssembly plugin this is a real timesaver.

Question: Regular sized clamp-o-tron docking ports work fine as the root part, but not "Clamp-O-Tron Sr.". Are either of these intended behaviors? (Neither is 'meant' to be a root part)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.